Steves just a human

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
GGGrev

#16 Post by GGGrev » Sun May 25, 2003 7:35 pm

Steve is still a God! :twisted:

Artanis I

#17 Post by Artanis I » Sun May 25, 2003 11:00 pm

Slashman but if humans have been here millions of years then we're not exactly foreigners any more, are we? (rhetorical question)

Therefore neither are we aliens.

cerealk

#18 Post by cerealk » Mon May 26, 2003 1:39 am

where does it say that Homo sapiens have been here millions of years?

isnt only 10s of thousands of years?

harmonicminor

#19 Post by harmonicminor » Mon May 26, 2003 3:12 am

Steve must be an Alien to play that well. For fast guitar runs his invisible 3rd arm comes out and adds a harmony line just for a laugh. The music he communicates through his guitar is a language that only my soul understands.

Woah. Im getting a bit deep now. Too much coffee. Maybe Steve is just superhuman. Go super steve! :P

Word

#20 Post by Word » Mon May 26, 2003 11:49 am

Anyone can play like Steve if they put as much heart and energy to it as he has, plus it takes a certain amount of talent that others have as well.

I'll go ahead and post something I posted in another thread:
Ok.. LOOK, guys... Steve Vai is an amazing musician and guitar player.. but he's NOT Jesus Christ.. and NEVER WILL BE. He is just another person who breathes the same air you breathe, and who walks on the same dirt you walk on.

I respect what you wrote.. and some parts were charming, but there IS a line that is NOT meant to be crossed.. and trust me ... Steve Vai does not want his fans to cross that line.

Steve Vai has a soul, body, organs, blood, and everything else just as any other human being in the world.. he is not a divine messenger or prophet.. he's a living person who is just as alive as any other person. He is not on some higher level than you are.. and he is not any better as being a human being as anyone else is. He is Steve Vai, just as I am Word, and just as Ricky Garcia, is Ricky Garcia. A living, breathing, human being.

Reality, folks.. look into it.

Artanis I

#21 Post by Artanis I » Mon May 26, 2003 4:57 pm

cerealk No-one was saying people have been on Earth for millions of years. Read it all again. The word "if" appears a number of times.

There's no point in saying "Steve is God" because you know perfectly well he isn't. "Steve is good (at guitar/music)" is far closer to the truth.

So there.

Reaper

#22 Post by Reaper » Mon May 26, 2003 5:09 pm

The "God" term comes out of overuse... even to the point of being slang. Nowadays, when someone wants to say "Steve's good at guitar", they just say "he's a guitar god"... it's kind of lost its meaning.

Either way, Steve isn't God, and he's not an alien, he's just one of us. An extremely talented one, but he's not superhuman.

spawn2048

#23 Post by spawn2048 » Tue May 27, 2003 2:40 am

Reaper wrote:The "God" term comes out of overuse... even to the point of being slang. Nowadays, when someone wants to say "Steve's good at guitar", they just say "he's a guitar god"... it's kind of lost its meaning.

Either way, Steve isn't God, and he's not an alien, he's just one of us. An extremely talented one, but he's not superhuman.
You have brought up an interesting point there, "he's a guitar god". Most people say he is a god, not he is God. Look at the difference, 'a god' and 'God'.
The people that use the word 'god' to describe Steve are not worshipping him as The God, but they are saying his talents are godlike.

Artanis I

#24 Post by Artanis I » Tue May 27, 2003 5:31 pm

Some religions believe there are many gods, some only one. Whether you believe one or the other, it makes no difference. Steve is neither God nor a god.

Guitar god is a stupid term people use, and in the end they "worship" him like an "idol" thus esteeming him a god (or God) anyway. Nothing wrong with commending a person's ability, but raising them to a level of "god status" is pure idiocy. Steve knows he's a man...(or alien...heh heh)

badhorsie

#25 Post by badhorsie » Thu May 29, 2003 4:39 am

hi folks.

perhaps steve isn't god, perhaps he's even human.
but i know for sure that he's my hero.
i've seen hundrets of guys pickin to death, tapping with 10 fingers and the tip of their nose, shredding with 200mph. and i don't know if steve could play these things. but steve isn't shredding at all. he just plays what he wants ( he sometimes wants a lot :) ) but with the most style, love and feeling i ever heard. ok, i stood there watchin these guys with eyes and mouth wide open, but they didn't touch my soul at all ( allright, grab your hanky ). but steve definetly does.
by the way: i know no one else who is great at pickin, sweepin, tappin, using weird ideas ect. like steve.
is there any guitarero i don't know?

sepultallica
Newcomer

#26 Post by sepultallica » Thu May 29, 2003 3:15 pm

vai is either a god or one of the devil's henchmen. for how can one achieve such a level of ability?

Atomictoyz

#27 Post by Atomictoyz » Fri May 30, 2003 12:18 pm

Gee, its nice to see that old threads never die, but spring up everytime a message board is created.

Sticking with the original post.
Steve is human, even though he is worshipped and many fans are absolutely awestruck when they meet him. I remember a few years ago reading some dialog between Mike Keneally and Steve Vai where I saw Steve call himself a hack on the guitar. IVe seen Steve live a few times and have seen his oops and downs, but his experience makes it easier to recover more gracefully than less experienced players. The fact that Steve is relatively humble about his abilities is one of the reasons I think he is such and inspiration to alof of guitarists as well as others in the music industry.

[Rant]
You can worship whoever you want on a message board, its a freedom not all countries allow. So I ask you to allow others to express their views, without an argument. Opinion are not a debatable, refutable or disputable.
[/Rant]

Peace, Love and Good Happiness Stuff!

Dennis

Stephen Brown

#28 Post by Stephen Brown » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:14 pm

The term "such & such is GOD" came from a person graffitiing "Clapton is God"
The phrase “Clapton is God” was spray painted on a wall in the Underground station in Islington in the mid-60s by an admirer. Islington is one of the many boroughs of the greater London Area. It then began to appear in other areas of the city.
http://www.ericclaptonfaq.com/biography ... kname.html

Rock 101. :D

StevieRayVai

#29 Post by StevieRayVai » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:51 pm

Of course he worked to earn where he's at today, but how many failed musicians do you know of? I've seen plenty that have the knowledge but cant produce anything. Vai has an extreme gift, he is godly. He picks things up very quickly, has a musical ear for things, he's the total package.

rub_800

#30 Post by rub_800 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:42 am

Steve's is incredible, but he's just a person who worked too hard for what he wants. To me that means a lot more than being a "superhuman".

The kind of peaple like Steve or any virtuoso, athlete, scientific, etc are here to show to us the great potential of the "human race" so to speak.. we only need to work hard and be devoted to what we want