Steves just a human

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
hannes
Newcomer

Steves just a human

#1 Post by hannes » Tue May 13, 2003 3:31 pm

hey there just wanted to comment on some peoples opinions about steve and his guitar playing. sometimes i get the imperssions that some people here worhship steve vai as if he was a god. but he is a human himself, believe me!! :wink: and you always say he is a god because of his guitar playing. of course the abilities of steve vai are extremely good. but he also did A LOT for it. you people always think he just took a guitar and played like he does now (or in early times ;) ) right from the beginning.
sorry for my bad english and i didnt want to attack someone with that. just think about that people. steve vai is just a human like me an you, the only difference is that he is very talented in guitar playing and that he developed his talent with A LOT of work. just think what would happen if anyone here would spend 10 hours a day or more with practicing technique, picking, sweeping and so on and so on.....
CU

RAI

#2 Post by RAI » Tue May 13, 2003 5:25 pm

Yep, and he poops just like the rest of us.
But he does it in style, and using complex polyrhytms...
:D

Junebughunter

#3 Post by Junebughunter » Tue May 13, 2003 6:33 pm

I think there is a level of both. Not everyone even if they spent just as much time on an instrument could be as good as Vai...

Although I have never called him a "god" he has his own naturual talent, and it's not always hsi skill we talk about when people call him godlike, it is also the emotions, and feeling he puts in his music

Manu_777

#4 Post by Manu_777 » Tue May 13, 2003 9:51 pm

In Vai and complex polyrhytms we trust !

modal

#5 Post by modal » Wed May 14, 2003 12:25 am

if youve shaken his hand before youll know why he was born to play the ol geetar 8)

his hands will wrap around the ordinary hand like a lions claw

Dan

#6 Post by Dan » Wed May 14, 2003 12:13 pm

yeah, my fingers must be at least 2 whole inches shorter each than his. I can't do 6 fret stretches with my thumb wrapped over the top of the neck.

F#Minor

#7 Post by F#Minor » Sat May 17, 2003 3:54 am

I literally walked into him at a show before it began! He shook my hand.... wow! my hand just disappeared inside his he he!

I managed to string together a sentence of.....

"uhhhhhhh, ummm, ahhhhhhhh, ohhh, uhhhh ahhhhh, HI!"

He probably laughed his ass off when I stumbled off in a daze.... I was only a kid at the time but I bloody hope he forgot about that whole incident quickly :oops:

GGGrev

#8 Post by GGGrev » Sun May 18, 2003 9:52 pm

F#Minor wrote:I literally walked into him at a show before it began! He shook my hand.... wow! my hand just disappeared inside his he he!

I managed to string together a sentence of.....

"uhhhhhhh, ummm, ahhhhhhhh, ohhh, uhhhh ahhhhh, HI!"

He probably laughed his ass off when I stumbled off in a daze.... I was only a kid at the time but I bloody hope he forgot about that whole incident quickly :oops:
It shows that our Deity Vai is omnipotent, omnipresent and he is the exaulted one!

Artanis I

#9 Post by Artanis I » Fri May 23, 2003 7:00 pm

Steve may be a mere human, but Joe is an alien...sorry, "the alien"

davester1234

#10 Post by davester1234 » Fri May 23, 2003 7:53 pm

Artanis I wrote:Steve may be a mere human, but Joe is an alien...sorry, "the alien"
wait a sec, i thought joe was a sliver surfer???

Whats all this baloney about steve being human!??
Steve is an alien! We'll call him the little green man!

Artanis I

#11 Post by Artanis I » Fri May 23, 2003 7:58 pm

I assume you mean "Silver Surfer"

Maybe Steve is an alien too...just that it's supposed to be a bit more secret.

After all, he knows all about Alien Love Secrets.

RAI

#12 Post by RAI » Fri May 23, 2003 9:16 pm

Actually, the human race IS alien.

Just think about it.........
:idea:

Artanis I

#13 Post by Artanis I » Sat May 24, 2003 8:40 pm

Alien = Foreigner

Humans are not exactly foreigners on this planet...not for millennia at the very least...

Slashman SG
Newcomer

#14 Post by Slashman SG » Sat May 24, 2003 8:45 pm

But, what if humans were just brought here by aliens millions of years ago, and because we didn't have a way to communicate back then, we couldn't pass on the information. Then humans WOULD be aliens. . . :shock:

spawn2048

#15 Post by spawn2048 » Sun May 25, 2003 3:56 am

Disclaimer: I am not insulting any one in any way, sorry if it comes out like that...

Yes, Steve is human, but he is an insane human. I think you all know what I mean by that, just look at some of the subject matter his songs are based on, and things like using animals and his baby kid in songs, and the complex polyrhythms...aah yes, you would have to be insane to be able to think of things like that, most peoples' minds would explode with the complexity of some of the things Steve comes up with.
Now, insanity/madness/weirdness/etc. is not necassarly a bad thing. I have talked about this many time with mates of mine that are serious musicians, and everytime we agree that all musicians are slightly insane/mad/weird/etc. regardless of genre (my girlfriend is a serious classical musician and some of the people she knows through orchestra are just as insane/mad/weird/etc. as the people she knows that are involved in different genres of music, like me :P ).
Quite a lot of my compositions come from my moments of freakishness, I'll just drift off and start thinking in sound, I'll have all these riff and rythms and runs and harmonies and all sorts floating around in my head and eventually they all come together. To an onlooker I look totally insane, I will be sitting there with all my muscles relaxed apart from the ones in my hands and feet, my eyes are glazed over, my hands will be trying to play guitar (even though there isn't one there :shock: ) and my feet will be tapping away with seemingly random beats, oh yeah, and my mouth will be moving around and making weird shapes and it looks like I' talking to myself in some ancient language with very strange vowel sounds. I think that the more insane etc a person is then the more often this can happen and the deeper this can go. So someone like Steve (who in my personal opinion is gone with the fairies) could probably sit in a chair for days not moving thinking of amazing songs (like the ones he has come up with so far) and make entire albums of just weirdness, which actually sound amazingly good. I think it is this abscent mindedness and ease of things that make him appear godlike. When he plays he just makes things look so damn easy and that he is putting no effort into it at all.
Insanity/madness/weirdness/etc, is not a pre-requisit to being a musician (although it can help) but if you are not insane etc. before entering the musical world you will certainly come out the other end being insane etc.

whew, lots of waffling there, try and interpret it if you can...and I want to repeat, I am not insulting any one in any way...