Vai's unreleased albums

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Corrado

i've read in a Steve's interview on Getsigned.com that he recorded an album called "Dinner at Ray's" with Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter, Larry Carlton and Albert Lee. they just went in a room with their guitars and jammed all the time.
Steve said that he wants to put the record out on Favored Nations, but the interview was from 1999 and nothing happened.
so... will this record be released?
he also talks about tons of unreleased songs that he recorded... will we listen to them someday?

Corrado.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Yes - quite possibly!

The Secret Jewel Box is a good place to start... ;)

- Mikey
vai.com
jenarom

Mikey, are you saying that "Dinner at Ray's" will possibly be realeased soon? I also remember this interview, and I can't believe that 4 years have passed since I read it.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

jenarom wrote:Mikey, are you saying that "Dinner at Ray's" will possibly be realeased soon? I also remember this interview, and I can't believe that 4 years have passed since I read it.
Well, I'm not saying anything really. There's always a possibility.

I don't know the status of "Dinner at Ray's". As far as i know, it's not currently on the FN release schedule.

peace,

Mikey
vai.com
jenarom

I remembered this thread.
What ever happened to this CD?
Is it still being planed for release in the future?
resha

Corrado wrote:i've read in a Steve's interview on Getsigned.com that he recorded an album called "Dinner at Ray's" with Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter, Larry Carlton and Albert Lee. they just went in a room with their guitars and jammed all the time.
Steve said that he wants to put the record out on Favored Nations, but the interview was from 1999 and nothing happened.
so... will this record be released?
he also talks about tons of unreleased songs that he recorded... will we listen to them someday?

Corrado.

yo if it'll come out we'll listen to steve playing in some sort of bluegrass style and sound... soooo cool! 8)
cbr1000f

Indeed, Steve mentioned this recording in a 1999 interview with Randy Allar (WSCB radio). You can find it here: http://www.guitar9.com/interview40.html

"... Another one is an event that we put together. Actually it was before I was involved with my partner, Ray. He put this event together. The concept was to take four great guitar players from various backgournds and put them in a room with a wall full of guitars. It turned out to be me, Jeff "Skunk Baxter (ex-Doobie Bros.), Albert Lee and Larry Carlton. We just jammed, man. It's a very pleasurable listening experience.

Randy Allar: I look forward to hearing that one.

Steve Vai: It's called "Dinner At Ray's". ..."

I'd like to hear that one too (well in fact, I want to hear all of Steve's music :wink: )
General Zod

That's such a brilliant idea for an album.
jenarom

What ever happened to this recording? Will it be released someday?
Bryceybhoy

Come to think of it, what's the update on the Jewel Box? I want my special foldout photoalbum thingymijig whateverit'scalled.!!!!
jenarom

Another project that could be released someday....
RAI

jenarom wrote:Another project that could be released someday....
Yawn.......