steve's guitar amp

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
screwball

What kind of guitar amp does steve play and how much would it cost in £s? :oops: :D
jem555

Steve uses Carvin Legacy amps- go to www.vai.com/machines and then click on carvin legacy

Peace
R1FSR

hi there
Steve uses the Carvin Legacy that he designed .

This is mine
the Amp alone cost around the £750 mark and are quite difficult to get hold of a second hand one...the cab costs around £450 (ish)

heres a write up for you.

Legacy 100W All Tube Head

Take one of the best, most influential guitarist's of our time, then let him design his ultimate amp, and you've got the Legacy amplifier by Carvin. A seamless combination of art and tone, the Legacy is the product of countless hours or development and testing, to create this one-of-a-kind amp.

" When I considered having a signature series amp built, there were several important issues that needed to be addressed. First, it had to sound superior to any other amp I’d ever come across and it had to be built to withstand the abuse that a world tour could give it. It also had to be something affordable for most musicians and not just a few privileged ones! It had to have the appearance of class and integrity that reflects the sound. I’m thrilled to say The Legacy is all that I dreamed it could be." - Steve Vai

Steve Worked very closely with Carvin Engineering to develop the sound and look of the Legacy Amplifiers from the choice of EL34 tubes to the Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. His involvment with Carvin goes back to the early '80's when Steve played the Carvin X100B amp as a member of Frank Zappa's band. Discussions of the possibility of a signature amp had been ongoing for several years. Finally, Vai's and Carvin's schedules allowed for serious work on a new amp project. Exhaustive listening tests of various tube and electronic circuits were performedby Steve. He also tested dozens of enclosures loaded with various vintage speakers and speakers. His ear kept coming back to the Celestion speakers. After final approval of the amp and speakers, Steve then put his focus on the styling of the Legacy. His personal touches include the classic color scheme and his personal anagram logo on the nameplate.

The Legacy features 2 incredible sounding channels (clean and overdrive/sustain), with Separate Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble, and presence controls for each channel. Master Reverb for both channels, 4,8, and 16 ohm speaker impedance switch, effects loop, All tube design: four-EL34, five-12AX7A.

Technical Specifications
* Dual channels (clean & overdrive/sustain) Separate Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble & Presence for each channel. Master Reverb for both channels
* 50/100W output switch
* Bias switch for 5881, 6L6GCÍs or EL34 power tubes (supplied with EL34)
* Cabinet voiced line output 4, 8 or 16 ohm speaker imp. switch
* Effects Loop
* All tube: 4-EL34, 5-12AX7A
* Hand crafted 7-ply poplar wood cabinet
* Optional FS22 foot switch for selecting channels & reverb
* VL100: 24.25W x 10.5H x 9.5"D, WT: 40 lbs.
* VL212 Combo with VL100 head & 2-Celestion™ 12" Vintage 30 speakers in a closed back cabinet (or open). 26W x 10.25D x 17.5"H, WT: 62 lbs

Legacy C412A Top Cabinet

4x12 Legacy Top Cabinet
Legacy Cabinets feature Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers. Steve selected them for use in the Legacy after comparing them to all other available speakers

Technical Specifications
* Four Celestion Vintage 30's. 240 watts. closed back.
* Freq Resp: 68-7.2k Hz. 16ohm
* Metal corners
* Metal grill
* Size: 30"W x 14.5"D x 30"H
* Weight: 90 lbs
Ryan Layton
Banned

you lucky bastard. thats such a hot set up. i bet it sounds great
R1FSR

Well to be honest ive not had it long..its got to be loudest amp ive ever used..even at band practice ive never had past 4 lol
Sounds incredible..
Heres how the guitar looks now.. :wink:
shader

the guy i used to take lessons from had one, he said it didn't sound that great unless you cranked it (i was telling him how i wasn't impressed when playing it at guitar center)
Henrique Henriques

My friend Eduardo Elleres has a Jem just like that, except it's autographed by Joe (Laughs) :lol:

-The cool thing about that amp it's that it has the Steve Vai Logo on it!-

HH. (Gtdork)
Pro-string strummer

dude... can i have your setup... I'll give you a twinkie... please..?
munchocruncho

My dad owns a legacy. He probably wouldnt let me use it. But i can get my filthy paws on it one day.