Recommended album for a newbie?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Songbird
Newcomer

Hi all :)
After months and months of my guitar teacher playing me all these Steve Vai songs I've been teased enough to by an album? He played me Fuck Yourself the other day which I must admit I laughed my arse off at, lol. Which album would you recommend me to start off with? I'm a guitar player so I'd love to maybe hear one that'll have me inspired and have me reaching for my guitar.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's easy... :) Steve Vai Antology...THat is a 'essence of' type of CD with selected songs from most of his solo records.

But while you're at it, buy them all.. :)
The Extremist

Man, im not sure what type of music your interested in.

When i started out i tried playing everything i could, i played around a bit with things like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Satch, Vai, Johnson and you just have to use what your listening to currently to build on your skills.

But an album that really pushed me to learn and still is:

Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet

Just songs like House Full of Bullets, Love Thing, A Train of Angels, Raspberry Jam Delta-V and other greats just make it a great album to play to.

But you should think about getting

Jam With Joe Satriani

Its a Tab Book/CD that comes with the full songs and backing tracks for you to learn and improvise over, its from beginners to advanced levels.

Happy Learning.
Vaituoso

I recommend The Infinite Steve Vai - An Anthology. It's got a couple of songs from each of his albums. If you like it, buy the other albums. I have everything Steve has ever put out on CD and honestly, I love all of it.
The Extremist

I didnt recommend any Vai cause i thought he was a Vai fan.
Songbird
Newcomer

Oh sorry for the confusion. I'm not really Vai fan (yet) as I've only heard a few of his tunes and so wanted to check out some more. I've been mainly an acoustic player up until the past few months and so have only just started playing electric recently, playing a couple of Mr Big and Stevie Ray Vaughan songs.

But thanks for your replies. I'll try to get my hands on his anthology cd.
The Extremist

Dont forget Crystal Planet, or ill bash you for life.
Vaituoso

You should also get The Electric Joe Satriani - An Anthology.
tim_knox

Passion and Warfare will have you reaching for your guitar, also try to pick up the 7th Song for a mix of his stuff
pawel

Passion & Warfare would be the best introduction to Steve's music.
RAI

Well, if you are relatively new to Steve and his stuff, but somewhat into "electric guitar" music, maybe a better choice is "Alien Love Secrets".
It's only an EP, so it's "short" and to the point, and it's basically a guitar/bass/drum record, with very few overdubs.
So, it's a "simple" record that may not be as overwhelming as "Passion & Warfare" or "Fire Garden".

And being that there is "less clutter", it's an excellent study of Steve's guitar work. Like a painter doing just a pencil drawing, instead of covering it all up in oil paints...
While the oil painting can be really beautiful, you can see his true skill if he can do as good of a piece just using a pencil.

And that's what Steve did with "ALS" i believe,,,,
johnny boy

the first cd i got was "passion and warfare", and i listen to it almost every day still, and that was over a year ago, i would deffinately buy it if i was you.
j.arledge

i like the Dvd Steve live at the Astoria London. It has a wide collection of songs and you get to see a bit how they are played.

If not that His Anthology is good.

I still listen to Flying in a bule dream by satriani, and cant help adimire the skill and level of playing that Joe has.
Metfan86
Newcomer

I recommend you "Fire Garden". This album really got me into Vai, since in the beginning "Passion & Warfare" was way too weird for me back then. "Fire Garden" has some nice rock tunes on it and some outstanding guitarpieces as well. Once you are familiar with Vai you should get all of his other records :D .
KGNOKODOMO

forget about it!!
you should and i mean should try "aliens love secrets" if you want to
stop listening and go reach your guitar!!
i promess!!!!

peace ad love and good happinmess stuff!!