some info regarding 'For The Love of God'

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
gazgunman
Newcomer

some info regarding 'For The Love of God'

#1 Post by gazgunman » Tue May 06, 2003 2:31 pm

Did Mr Vai compose it himself?
and why the name 'For The Love of God'?

I love that track..personally I think its the best on P+W, I love the way it builds up then down again....like Tender Surrender

Slug Balancer

#2 Post by Slug Balancer » Tue May 06, 2003 2:37 pm

Yeah, I love tracks like that too. Slow & quiet build up then frenetic ending.

'Stairway To Heaven' wears the crown.

Moderator777

#3 Post by Moderator777 » Tue May 06, 2003 2:41 pm

Moved to proper forum area.

--------------
Dêkuji,

Moderator777
www.vai.com

RAI

#4 Post by RAI » Tue May 06, 2003 6:20 pm

I believe the general concept for "FTLG" is the strange and scary things people will do in the name of God.
(and, yes, Steve composed it.)
The video supports that, as well.
(as well as edit the video...)

The interesting story behind it, is that Steve had recorded the song, and then didn't record or even play guitar for a few weeks or so.
He came back to finish up the track, all he had to do was lay down the lead guitar. He struggled for hours on end, but just couldn't get what he was looking for.
He was playing so hard, that by the end he was bleeding from his fingertips.
He was about to give up, when he decided to just do one more take.
He did, all in one shot, from beginning to end.
Put down the guitar, turned out the lights and left the studio.
That final take is what we now know as one of the greatest guitar solos ever...
He's da man!

Oh, and Tender Surrender is absolutely breathtaking!!!

Word

#5 Post by Word » Tue May 06, 2003 7:51 pm

ACTUALLY....

The song FTLOG is about how far people will go for the love of their God, not the "scary stuff" or whatever.

Also, the story goes like this:

Steve Vai had fasted for a few weeks and didn't play guitar at all, for a certain period of time that I can't quite remember(2 months I believe). He did this so that when he recorded the song it would get the right effect and vibe for what the song was about. He recorded the song, and by the end of it his fingers were not bleeding, but he had blood clots in his fingertips which is still extremley painful.. and probably more so than bleeding.

He did achieve the right effect.. and man is that song amazing.

RAI, not meaning to knock you..

<snip> - Removed religious discussion

RAI

#6 Post by RAI » Tue May 06, 2003 8:01 pm

RAI, not meaning to knock you.. <snip> - Removed religious discussion
Don't worry, I wasn't particularly clear in my statement.
What I meant to say (and it's shown in the video...) was how people use God as an excuse for alot of horrendous acts.
The song is intended to take you on the journey of both the peace and love that believing in God brings, and the greed and hatred that it brings to those that simply don't have a clue what God is all about.

As for not getting all the details right on the "FTLG" story....
Oh well, I'm good at paraphrasing!
8)

Moderator666

#7 Post by Moderator666 » Tue May 06, 2003 11:59 pm

no references to religion!

EXCEPT...
- The discussion of politics, race or religion, except in relation to how they are portrayed in music/songs is not allowed on this forum. There are plenty of other resources and forums online for discussion of these topics.

Stick to references to the song. No wider discussions!

Thanks
Last edited by Moderator666 on Wed May 07, 2003 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#8 Post by Mikey » Wed May 07, 2003 12:17 am

Folks,

In light of Moderator666's edits, I just quickly want to clarify that the reason we're trying to keep people away from discussing religion is not because we have anything against any faith - it's just that unfortunately, this is where a vast majority of arguments and flamewars are caused.

Sadly many a great discussion board has died a slow death when people have descended into arguments about reigion, or worse still, preaching their beliefs to others.

There are plenty of great places to discuss religious topics online. I'm not suggesting that's what was happening here.. just letting you know the reason for the policy.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com

RAI

#9 Post by RAI » Wed May 07, 2003 12:36 am

No prob...
:)

It most certainly wasn't intended as a religious discussion.
Sometimes I guess you just "slide" into areas you shouldn't be...
Oops!
:D

Word

#10 Post by Word » Wed May 07, 2003 4:43 am

RAI wrote:
RAI, not meaning to knock you.. <snip> - Removed religious discussion
Don't worry, I wasn't particularly clear in my statement.
What I meant to say (and it's shown in the video...) was how people use God as an excuse for alot of horrendous acts.
The song is intended to take you on the journey of both the peace and love that believing in God brings, and the greed and hatred that it brings to those that simply don't have a clue what God is all about.

As for not getting all the details right on the "FTLG" story....
Oh well, I'm good at paraphrasing!
8)
Oh, ok.. cool. :)

Tom

#11 Post by Tom » Wed May 07, 2003 7:41 am

Thanks Mods for your efforts. FLTLOG is clearly a song that moves people deeply. One thing that's interesting to me is that the phrase "For the Love of God" can be used as an epithet, like, "Oh, for the love of God, turn that music down Stevie please?!?" (Just as often I hear, "Higher taxes? Oh, for the love of Michael...") Whatever the conditions of its creation (fasting or whatever), Steve composed FTLOG which evokes, well, it evokes different things for different people I suppose; but most of us here would probably agree it's beautiful. And it took a lot of effort! The opposite of an epithet.

For this forum discussion I would only point out the obvious, i.e., that Steve expanded these explorations in the album "Sex and Religion" where clearly the title song and some of the other tunes -- "Rescue Me or Bury Me," "Road to Mt. Calvary" -- address what might be called religious themes. He makes general reference to religion in the song "Alive in an Ultra World", too. Other songs, one could point out easily. My opinion is that Steve's spiritual/religious consciousness, whatever it may consist of, seems consistently to enrich his music. He has addressed some of these things in interviews I think. For some folks it may be provocative, so in the Forum I appreciate the Moderators efforts to put a lid on overinterpretation as it might open the door to discord. Pardon me if I'm doing that already...

Haydn

Re: some info regarding 'For The Love of God'

#12 Post by Haydn » Wed May 07, 2003 7:44 am

gazgunman wrote:Did Mr Vai compose it himself?
Well SSV may have written FTLOG but you may want to search out the theme to the 70s TV programme Kung Fu (the one with David Caradine) which bears more than a passing resemblence to the main melody ;-)

pri0531

#13 Post by pri0531 » Wed May 07, 2003 8:11 am

I liked the version "For the Love of Mom" that Steve played in NY (Irving Plaza - while on the Ultra Zone tour) for his mother. That version really packed an emotional punch.
Out,
GP

Tom

#14 Post by Tom » Wed May 07, 2003 10:14 am

pri0531 wrote:I liked the version "For the Love of Mom" that Steve played in NY (Irving Plaza - while on the Ultra Zone tour) for his mother. That version really packed an emotional punch.
Out,
GP
You're right, thanks for reminding me of that! That was a great performance. He always brings it for his hometown audience and at Irving Plaza often he's got family up in the balcony seating.

Zebula77

#15 Post by Zebula77 » Thu May 08, 2003 12:01 am

Actually, For The Love Of God (and to a certain extent, Touching Tongues) is my favourite guitar instrumental of all time. I can't tell you how many times I've played airguitar to that one, all the while crying my eyes out. I have never heard guitarplaying that emotional before or since first hearing.

It's quite simply...breathtaking! :cry: