Rescue me or bury me.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
V41
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 6:13 am

Seems like Devin Townsend sings on everything on "Sex & Religion," but this one sounds a whole lot more like Steve, in my opinion.

Who sings on "Rescue me or Bury me?"
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am

Steve. :)

If you read the liner notes you'll see it's him :)

Mikey
vai.com
V41
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 6:13 am

Wow, okay. Cool.

Thank you.

Where does it say that? I looked all over before posting.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin
Posts: 4520
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:51 am

hmm..*looking at the CD* I guess I'm wrong.. I can't see it listed after all. Maybe I'm thinking of the liner notes for the Anthology CD.

Anyway, it's Steve :)

Mikey :)
vai.com
User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm

That was the first track Steve released after taking singing lessons, so maybe he decided not to bring to much attention to himself, and left his name off the credits.
Not quite sure how it would be received....?
Anywho, he's a great singer, and I hopes he keeps up the trend of mixing the vocals louder.
He seems to keep the vocals fairly low in the mix, but it has gotten better.
Maybe he's still not to sure about his vocal abilities...?

Come on, Steve, belt it out!!!!!!!!

:D
User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2626
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am

RAI wrote: He seems to keep the vocals fairly low in the mix, but it has gotten better.
Maybe he's still not to sure about his vocal abilities...?
Come on, Steve, belt it out!!!!!!!!
:D
He says it in the DVD commentary track also "Sorry folks, I just had to sing". Nothing to be sorry about, it's good. I think the singing in Little Wing is pretty dificult, but he nailed it.
Bono
Member
Member
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:47 am

I think he's a lot better at singing than Satch is. I agree, he shouldn't be ashamed of his singing because it's great - light of the moon remains one of my fave tracks.
davester1234
Member
Member
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:45 pm

its funny that for a guy who's not really a singer, Steve has a really unique voice...I love the pronounciation he puts in.
User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm

I think he's got a powerful, expressive voice. I can't really hear anything immeditately wrong with it (unlike a lot of professional singers I could mention). He could kick Timberlake's ass anyday! :wink:

Rescue me or bury me is a great singing performance IMO. I actually prefer Steve's voice to Townsend's, it seems more subtle.
Lycanthrope
Member
Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:20 pm

i was actually going to start a post about an element of this song.

I find the most haunting element of this album, something i really really really connect with and feel when i hear this song is the transition from the end of "deep down into the pain" into "rescue me.." because, you hear the guys laughing at the end of tr.12 and having a great time, and then there's that beautiful guitar, the micro tone one...it just comes out of no where and just grabs your attention momentarily, almost like its introducing you to tr.13 by having such bright sound.

Then, i don't know if you guys notice this - but i get shivers every time i hear it... just after he tells julian to press play, theres this little sound that he somehow createdd.... i called it "the whip" because it sounds like a little whip before the first chord is strummed. I don't actually know what it is, but i think its honestly an element of genius.
I was driving oneday and i heard it - and personally, my interpretation of that sound is intentionally placed there to give an ominous presence to the song. Its sort of to catch the attention of the listener after hearing this intimate thing between father and son. It detaches the listener from the comfort of hearing normal voices and the 'mundanities' of recording [if there is such a thing]..

i don't know - i just wondered why steve put it there... mikey if you read this and you get the chance, could you perhaps ask steve? id honestly be so intrigued to know his real intention with it.
In the end i feel like its a signal to sort of "sit tight" or "get focused" and align yourself with the sound and mood of the song... almost like someone 'whipping' a person into line.

i might be way off.. but its fun to contemplate these things.

cheers,
yon

ps. anyone notice there's a keyboard progression at the close of "deep down into the pain" just before the climax at the end which is the same progression from "Love Secrets" from P&W?
User avatar
RAI
Member
Member
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:23 pm

The sound you're referring to sounds simply like a "electronic pop". Maybe he turned on a mic, or plugged in the guitar or something, and that "pop" was captured on tape.
Maybe it was planned, maybe it was an accident, but either or, he kept it in there.....
I love the stuff that guy does!
User avatar
lydian7
Member
Member
Posts: 1269
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:55 pm

Lycanthrope wrote:i don't know if you guys notice this - but i get shivers every time i hear it... just after he tells julian to press play, theres this little sound that he somehow createdd.... i called it "the whip" because it sounds like a little whip before the first chord is strummed. I don't actually know what it is, but i think its honestly an element of genius.
I was driving oneday and i heard it - and personally, my interpretation of that sound is intentionally placed there to give an ominous presence to the song. Its sort of to catch the attention of the listener after hearing this intimate thing between father and son. It detaches the listener from the comfort of hearing normal voices and the 'mundanities' of recording [if there is such a thing]..

i don't know - i just wondered why steve put it there... mikey if you read this and you get the chance, could you perhaps ask steve? id honestly be so intrigued to know his real intention with it.
In the end i feel like its a signal to sort of "sit tight" or "get focused" and align yourself with the sound and mood of the song... almost like someone 'whipping' a person into line.

i might be way off.. but its fun to contemplate these things.
lol, I'm pretty sure that's just Julian pressing 'play' or something, but it sounds as if Steves recording has set your imagination into overdrive. Which let's face it, is what it's all about! :wink:
V41
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 6:13 am

If you have ever recorded a song on a tape recorder, especially an older one, that is the exact sound that is heard when "play and record" have been down and you let "pause" off. Most artists take this out... but it added to the effect of having Julian there helping him, I guess.

I love that little guitar riff at the end of DDITP too... it always makes me teary. It seems to me to relate the overall end of the song (God speaking, I always thought) to when the baby is born, and like... you're distracted from when God was talking, but it seems to point back to Him, like... "life is started, but I'm still here." I don't know... the first time I heard it was like... :shock: I guess if you don't believe in God you wouldn't like that opinion, sorry if anyone's annoyed...

I would like to hear Steve sing more. He has a really good voice, for someone who is also so talented at music writing, lyric writing, and guitar. Lol... he has too much talent for one person. :lol:
V41
Member
Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 6:13 am

Lycanthrope wrote:ps. anyone notice there's a keyboard progression at the close of "deep down into the pain" just before the climax at the end which is the same progression from "Love Secrets" from P&W?
I noticed that. Also... it's in "An Earth Dweller's Return." Kind of like the whole CD tells a story of some kind... maybe Mr. Vai just likes that riff.

Er, isn't that riff in Rescue me or Bury me? The same riff is in RMoBM as in An Earth Dweller's and Love Secrets... also the same deep voice.. thing says something in Love Secrets as in DDITP.
Ryan Layton
Banned
Posts: 1206
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:28 pm

V41 is right. lots of my early recordings have 'the whip' also. i only got it when i had to use the recorder's internal mic, it all stopped after i got an external.
Post Reply