Rescue me or bury me.

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Vegas_Blues

Obviously, ya'll havent worked at a big studio ;)

That sound is actually the sound of the talk-back mic turning off. It is an unmistakeable sound.....

The talkback mic is what the recording engineer uses to talk to the musicians in the control room, and is usually built into the board. Not sure why it makes that sound, but I know it runs thru all the effects in the loop, thus the reverb sound at the end of the crack.

Its also common practice to use the talkback mic to "label" the songs for mixdown, so you can tell which song it is, and which take, or mix. Like the greasy kids stuff "....melodies up .4......."

I would imagine this is what happened, and he had julien in the studio, thought it turned out cute, and put it on the album......

But what the hell do I know :P

Peace, love and chicken grease!
Bucooooooc!!!
Vegas_Blues
Lycanthrope

yes tis true.. its a trivial little sound...

but the effect it has is paramount to the intention and wishes of steve. At least thats what i think anyway.

Next time you're alone, listening to that song...not while you're at your computer or with friends... just listen from the end of DDitP where they're talking (before the microtone guitar) to the part where steve starts singing in Rescue me..

maybe my imagination did go a little crazy... but i told how i felt about it to a friend who listened to it as well with me.. and he seemed to agree with what i said.
I mean, yes it is just a meaningless little 'pop'... but for me, its a very important sound and adjusts the lens of how i view that final, very soul-searching song.

cheers dudes,
yon.
Andelusion

At the very end of The Attitude song on the Astoria DVD when Steve, Billy, and everyone are jamming Steve plays that octave slidy riff from teh end of down deep in the pain i think..
KGNOKODOMO

it is amazing how all talk about the weird things on that song but
have you ever listened to the amazing unique solo of that piece?
it is for me one of the best solos i have heard from him and from any guitarist
agree?

regards
munchocruncho

Ok i knew that was steve. But even in the anthology it says Devin. I was gonna cry because i was wrong.....
guyzif

He hasn't got a stong powerful voice but he has a good voice.
munchocruncho

He says it in the DVD commentary track also "Sorry folks, I just had to sing". Nothing to be sorry about, it's good. I think the singing in Little Wing is pretty dificult, but he nailed it.
Isnt Steve vai the man who said "If you dont appreciate your own work how do you expect anyone else to?"