Which guitarist has the finest vibrato?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
lydian7

After studying music at university, and playing the guitar for 11+ years, I've arrived at a state-of-mind that forces me to focus on the finer points of musical technique. I used to want to play at a very fast speed (like most beginners), but I've since learn that this is a very primative form of expression.
How do artists such as Steve Vai & Joe Satriani make their notes sing? The answer is simple: through the subtle use of their Vibrato technique. It takes an artist a life-time to achieve one's own personal vibrato that enables one to actually 'sing' with the guitar. If I heard a piece of music by steve vai I hadn't heard before, I'd know straight away it was Steve Vai simply because his vibrato enables him to sing with the instrument.

...so I put it to you, who do you think has the greatest vibrato in the business? I'll state my top 5 below, but my tastes are forever changing!

1. Joe Satriani.
2. Steve Vai.
3. Saul hudson (aka. 'Slash' from guns 'n roses).
4. Allan holdsworth.
5. Eric Johnson.
Psychlone

One favorite that leaps to mind is Angus Young of AC/DC. He has a very wide and fast vibrato, giving his lead lines a slippery, high-energy feeling. And of course Mark Knopfler is always impeccable.
Im_The_Slime

Vibrato ?

Without doubt Yngwie Malmsteen.
lydian7

Im_The_Slime wrote:Vibrato ?

Without doubt Yngwie Malmsteen.
Yngwie's wide 'violin-like' vibrato is totally over-the-top, and lacks the subtlety of the afformentioned artists. 'tone-width' vibrato is ok if applied in moderation, but to play it over everything, soft meditative moments in a piece, is totally inappropriate. I think Yngwie's vibrato is lacking in variety and maturity.
Old_Chatterhand
Newcomer

I think Gary Moore has a fine vibrato, if i think of "The Loner" or "The Prophet" for example...
Bono

Satch, without a doubt.
lydian7

Bono wrote:Satch, without a doubt.
I agree! I love Vai's music don't get me wrong (probably more than Satch's), but as far as Vibrato goes Satriani has an amazing sense of touch in his playing, and he knows how to milk his tone. Check-out 'Cryin'' for a great example! :wink:
Gulliver

Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Allan Holdsworth.

3 mighty vibrators. :wink:
NunoKwikPhix

Vai
Satch
Steve Morse
Eric Johnson
BB King
Slash
Nuno Bettencourt
Im_The_Slime

lydian7 wrote:
Yngwie's wide 'violin-like' vibrato is totally over-the-top, and lacks the subtlety of the afformentioned artists. 'tone-width' vibrato is ok if applied in moderation, but to play it over everything, soft meditative moments in a piece, is totally inappropriate. I think Yngwie's vibrato is lacking in variety and maturity.
Well opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

I find it brilliant the way he executes his vibrato.
lydian7

Im_The_Slime wrote:
lydian7 wrote:
Well opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

I find it brilliant the way he executes his vibrato.
Well I guess some people are too intellectually challanged to engage in a debate without resorting to petty name-calling. If you're any older than 13 years old, I pity you. :wink:
777?

STEVIE RAY
dex

BB King without a doubt.

ilia
NunoKwikPhix

A player with a good vibrato technique allows the listener to know who's playing just by hearing the vibrato (ala BB King).
Im_The_Slime

lydian7 wrote:
Well I guess some people are too intellectually challanged to engage in a debate without resorting to petty name-calling. If you're any older than 13 years old, I pity you. :wink:
:D

Jesus christ dude !
It's a figure of speech.
Not intended as an insult.

So i guess this showed who the intellectually challanged one really was, eh ?
Only kiddin yer.
And also, just to clarify.
When I said i found Yngwie's vibrato the best, i did not take into acount how he use it, why and if it's too much or not.
I was merely judging his ability, how incredible his controll over it is.