who is robert fripp????

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
marvin

who is robert fripp????

#1 Post by marvin » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:51 am

anyboyd hears anyrthing from the 3rd link of g3europe!? btw can't wait form it!

:twisted:

davester1234

#2 Post by davester1234 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:08 am

robert fripp is a male. Of the homosapien persuasion. :wink:

He's pretty musical too. :D

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#3 Post by Mikey » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:00 am

It might sound like a crazy idea, but go to www.google.com , type in Robert Fripp, and spend a few minutes doing some research.

Discovering new things can be educational and fun! :)

Texter

#4 Post by Texter » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:01 am

Hehe I've got the Essential Fripp&Eno CD...wicked :shock:

marvin

#5 Post by marvin » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:44 pm

i ment that in a way of his music/style/recomendation......who heard his music...is it good......??? :twisted:

Matthew

#6 Post by Matthew » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:02 pm

I've never heard his music, execpt the guitars in Joe Satriani's "SleepWalk" (which sounded other-worldly for guitar), but I always see his name mentioned and he is spoken highly of. I've read a little about him and I guess he's an innovator with effects and such. He used to play for King Crimson, but he's been solo since the late-70
s/early-80's, I think.
Last edited by Matthew on Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Picabo

#7 Post by Picabo » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:20 pm

I love his band King Crimson. Here are my favorite King Crimson albums:
-Thrak
-Red
-In The Court Of The Crimson King

Xevious13
Newcomer

#8 Post by Xevious13 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:39 pm

Fripp opend for G3 in Boston when I saw the tour of Satch,Vai and KWS.I can only descibe his music as bizarre.I wasnt close enough to see what exactly he was doing to his guitar but he was sitting down and I almost think playing it with a bow(like a violin)lots of soaring sounds.I was not at all like a Satch or Vai set.
~~~~~~~~~~~Ted

Kevan

#9 Post by Kevan » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:06 pm

Mikey- You are INSANE!
That's the most outlandish idea I've ever heard.
Next thing ya know, you'll suggest we try peanut butter and jelly *together*.
Absolutely f-ing nuts.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#10 Post by Mikey » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:15 pm

Kevan wrote:Mikey- You are INSANE!
That's the most outlandish idea I've ever heard.
Next thing ya know, you'll suggest we try peanut butter and jelly *together*.
Absolutely f-ing nuts.
That's some controversial stuff you're suggesting there Kevan... but you know.. gosh darn it.. it might just work!

Gulliver

#11 Post by Gulliver » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:12 am

Mikey wrote:It might sound like a crazy idea, but go to www.google.com , type in Robert Fripp, and spend a few minutes doing some research.
Or better yet, type in King Crimson.

Also a suggestion to all of those who are unsure what kind of music Crimson plays.
Check out their latest CD, "Power to Believe". It's their best and one of the best albums of all time, imho.

LIL ALLIGATOR GARDEN
Newcomer

#12 Post by LIL ALLIGATOR GARDEN » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:31 pm

i just found out about him last thursday from my jazz/rock guitar teacher at my college. he told me i should check out suite number 1, so i did :D

http://www.elephant-talk.com/ at the bottom of your screem click on tab and you will see the tab for the song..enjoy 8)

mxer

#13 Post by mxer » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:24 pm

Robert was once decribed as"more interested in making music that he's never heard then anything else" He is a very smart,itellectual(spell) person.Dont ever snap a picture when he's on stage,or he'll walk off and not come back.He plays on a stool.Hes onstage guitar is a Tokei Les Paul copy with something like a kahler trem.He uses the sustainer too.I have a lot respect for just from reading he's interveiws,but i've never heard King Crimson. :cry:

Psychlone

The Mighty Fripp

#14 Post by Psychlone » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:20 pm

Personally, Robert Fripp is one of my holy trinity of guitar players, the other two being Stevie Ray Vaughan and Mr. Vai himself. Fripp is a little hard to sum up on the guitar-- he's played in many styles ranging from incendiary prog fury (the "Red" album) to atmospheric soundscapes to angular, cerebral guitar figures ("Discipline") and most points in between. Fripp is a consummate professional. He usually dresses in all black and hides somewhere in the back of the stage. He is a good a philosopher as he is a guitar player. These are some of the things you should know about Robert Fripp! If you want to hear him in action, try the albums "Red", "Discipline", "Wind on Water", and I personally quite like "Cirkus", a King Crimson live album.

P.S. First post on the Vai boards, and it's not even about him. Sheesh.

jimgardner1973
Newcomer

#15 Post by jimgardner1973 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:07 pm

With all respect to you I have to admit to being shocked and as it happens a little sad that Robert Fripp's music is a mystery to anyone. I'm almost certain that without some of the truly jaw dropping music that he has made, and continues to make both as a solo artist and in his capacity as founder guitarist of King Crimson, Steve Vai would probably never have developed such an ear for the strangely angular and enharmonic chordal movements that define his style. Robert Fripp is, in a word, the master.

Go buy these albums...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 60-9303608