Whitesnake SOTT

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Jack_Butler
Newcomer

At the time of this albums release, it seemed to get royally panned. Comments ranged from a poor mix (Vais guitar could have been brought forward in the mix) to the album just plain sucks...

I remember reading in a guitar mag it got voted worst album of the year. WTF?

I think this is a great rock album and I still listen to it, some great tracks...

BTW Im a new forum member, from Perth, Australia.
badhorsie551

Slip Of The Tongue is one of the most listened albums i have. I used to listen to it every day for a period of like 9 months. I love how Vai layered all the guitars on that album, it sounds like a rock orchestra. I have pretty much figured out most of the songs on guitar except for "wings of the storm" and a couple of solos in the album like on "deeper the love" because some of it is just ridiculous .

Personal Favorites on the album

"now you're gone"
"slip of the tongue"
"fool for your loving"
"kittens got claws"

Also i love the Bonus track "sweet lady luck" amazing playing from steve. I have yet to spend time figuring the song out though, anybody have a tab of this or attempted transcribing it?
Ekim

That CD has the best lyric ever!!

"You ain't a bad girl honey
No matter what the neighbors say
You wear those skin-tight dresses
With your G-string tuned to A"
justcb7

slip of the tongue rules and thats all there is to it the solo on now youre gone is just the best, there isnt anyone that could have chose a better selection of notes its just amazing not to flash just spot on , same thing with sex and religion i cant understand why the masses didnt like them it doesnt make sense when people pan sott and then universaly love passion & warfare, there are a lot of similarities between them if nothing else in terms of orcestration, and the timeframe that they were released?????
dex

I've said this before but here goes.
People that were into Whitesnake before Vai, hated it because it was so different and brash and "out there" compared to the usual blend of blues/rock Whitesnake and Coverdale were known for.

People that have never heard of Whitesnake (in 1990) but liked Van Halen, DLR, Guns, Motley Crue and so on loved it.

I've said this before and will repeat it here - Steve Vai is all wrong in Whitesnake.
All wrong.
Imagine Steve doing his thing in AC/DC or in ZZTop and you'll see what I mean. :wink:

ilia
justcb7

i know what your getting at i love the early whitesnake as well but you had vivian campell, and vandemberg the sound of the band was leaning towards that just before sott, and coverdale deliberatley went for vai i love that album you dont waant the same thing on every album i dont want to open a can of worms but relate this back, just to draw the comparison between malmsteens fire and ice and rising force, i loved rising force but things have to evolve ive gone of yngwie in recent years as i knew what attack was gonna be like before i stuck it in the cd player, slip of the tongue just did it for me, im not in the habbit of liking everything vai does just because its VAI. But im still really into it it still seems fresh cool stuff.
dex

Actually the album Whitesnake (1987) is my second least favorite Whitesnake album and I never listen to these 2 albums.
Until a month ago I didn't even have a copy of SOTT (gave it away) because it was painfull to listen to.
A month ago decided to give it another go because the Ultra Zone album was residing in my CD player pretty much permanently and I started listening to all Vai albums I have one by one and that made me consider buying the SOTT again.
Well I did, listened to it 5-6 times and hid it under some other CDs.
I just like Dave Coverdale's voice and other songs too much to be able to listen to that.
Esp "Fool for your loving". :cry:

That is me though so if you do like it - listen to it man and more power to you.

ilia

p.s. Surprisingly now I'm going through a Deep Purple phaze and I quite like all 3 albums with Steve Morse, esp Bananas.
Go figure. :roll: :D
RAI

dex wrote: I've said this before and will repeat it here - Steve Vai is all wrong in Whitesnake.
I agree.
Steve is the most amazing musician to walk this planet, but his position in Whitesnake seemed "forced". There's some amazing playing on "SOTT", but Vai's "trademark" passion and fire is nowhere to be found.
It sounds cold...
Why?
Probably because Steve had absolutely NOTHING to do with the songwriting, and therefore had no emotional connection to the songs.

But that's just my opinion...
:)
mike777

Whitesnake during that period already was and still is my number one favorite band (well, now that spot has been tied with the Gin Blossoms for the past 12 years of so if you can figure that combo out). Anyway, I already liked Vai but I started paying more attention at that point.

I love the SOTT album. It's it's own thing and there's a lot of nostalgia in it for me. I don't think it's the best recording myself and I've always wondered what it would've sounded like if Vandenberg actually played on it. I'm curious to know what another Vai-WS project would've sounded like. I probably would've liked it but it would've been weird for most people. I love 'em both but they're coming from two different places. I wonder if there are any more outtakes that haven't been released from that period.

Mike Haug
lydian7

dex wrote: Steve Vai is all wrong in Whitesnake.
All wrong.
Imagine Steve doing his thing in AC/DC or in ZZTop and you'll see what I mean. :wink:

ilia
You're right, Whitesnake suck. Steve Vai often said (check out the passion & warfare foreword in the score book) that he merely joined Whitesnake to fund Passion & Warfare, and to up his public profile in preperation for P&W. The same goes for DLR, it was all about the Quan! :wink:
VaisLittlefinger
Newcomer

Whitesnake suck!? :shock: Have you heard early Whitesnake? Back in the day with Bernie Marsden and Mickey Moody, that was the best Whitesnake era, classic british rock. Superb stuff. The album 'Live in the Heart of the City' is awesome and the solo in the last track Mistreated is the best solo i've ever heard in a song.

The later version of whitesnake in the 80's was very good but the earlier version from the 70's was immense!!