VAI-Tunes Audio and Video Downloads (UPDATED 4 OCTOBER '06)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
laficojr

Mikey wrote:I'm hoping it will be the video I've been yakking about for what seems like forever... It's worth the wait, I promise :)

Mikey :)

Hey Mikey please put any video of the Real Illusion tour :D :D
jem613

Hey Mikey

when are we likely to see some new songs on Vai-Tunes?

I've downloaded the others and LOVE 'em, kinda makes me hungry for more!! :wink:

Pleeeeeeeease!
miker

Yah. I've downloaded all the current (6 songs) off Vai-Tunes. Look forward to more.

Greatly anticipating videos! Videos like the April/May Guitar World interview on "Freak Show Excess" would be totally awesome. Really like that particular video. More please Mikey! Your schedule (shed-yool -- sounds cool when people pronounce it that way, heh) allowing.
jenarom

Hey, Mikey! I hope you don't mind my asking but it's been 6 months since anything is released via the vaitunes store. Was it unsuccessful? Does Steve have any plans to release more stuff? Or, has it been cancelled?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Just prepping an extended version of the Freak Show video and some others that we're going to release.

For those who don't have the latest version of Quicktime (Version 7) you should download it now. Quicktime 7 uses a stunning new compression codec called H.264 which we will be using for the video downloads on Vai.com. It's vastly superior to AVI and DiVX.

vai.com
jenarom

Thanks for replying, Mikey!

It's good to know that this great initiative will be carried on. Can't wait to consume more SV music! :D
alienacidsoup

Yes!!! Thank You Mikey!!! :D
litlgrnman

any progress?
BoonDog

Yes please can we have an update; i mentioned this on another thread.
We are seriously lacking Vai related goodies - until the tour date!

Thanks and Best Regards

Boondog
alienacidsoup

Yeah... give us the update Mikey please!!! :peace
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Sorry - taking a bit longer than expected.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just throwing tracks up there.

vai.com
Evo_Jem7VWH
Newcomer

I noticed someone posted earlier in the thread, the idea of putting some of Steve's naked vamps up for download. I thought this would be a great idea but perhaps take it a step further and rather than have just the vamps, see if Steve would be willing to remove the main lead guitar tracks from a select few of his songs and give us an "official" backing track for the final mix of some of his songs.

I know there are some backing tracks available from various books and websites but these are never quite "spot on" and there are some tracks which, whilst many performer's would love to perform them, no backing tracks exist. For example, I very much doubt we will ever see a backing track for "lotus feet" but if Steve has the option of simply muting the lead guitar track in pro-tools and exporting an mp3 then i'm sure many, many, many guitarists would pay good money for the official backing used on the album.

I'm sure a fair few guitarists on here would have certain tracks they wish they could get the real backing for. Perhaps if enough of us suggest this then Mikey might suggest it to Steve and see what he thinks ?
alienacidsoup

I'm Game!!! :headbang
jem613

Evo_Jem7VWH wrote:I know there are some backing tracks available from various books and websites but these are never quite "spot on"
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've got one of these books and I think they ARE Steve's ACTUAL backing tracks, and therefore very accurate!

PS - more downloads on VAI TUNES PLEASE!!!!!
Evo_Jem7VWH
Newcomer

Hey Jem613,

I'm assuming you are talking about the "Naked Vamps" series of books (Fire Garden, Alien love secrets and Ultra Zone books are available). The backing tracks supplied are made from Steve's original masters from what I understand however, these are not the album versions. These backing tracks have been re-mixed and lengthened to allow much more freedom to exlore and expand on the different sections in each song.

At least this is the case with my Ultra zone naked vamps book (all the tracks are around 9 mins long).

Whilst the naked vamps are a lot of fun to jam and improvise along to, I thought it might be a good idea to create an exact "album version" backing track for if we want to replicate steve's parts as exactly as possible.

I'm sure there must be a load of guitarists here that would pay for those elusive tracks (I know I would)

All the best,

Dave