How did you discover Vai ??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
peacetool
Newcomer

Hmmm...interesting.

Been playing guitar since 11 but know Vai From My uncle who who taught me rock guitar playing when I was 14. He always played FOR THE LOVE OF GOD at my house...then I asked what song was that and who created it? He said STEVE VAI. Then I got blurreddd. Who is that guy? My uncle answered "He is the guitar magician". And Now, I am trying my best to be a guitar magician too....hekekeke!
Alex Smith

Christmas of 2003, someone handed me the tab for Eugene's Trick Bag and told me to learn it.
Integrum

I got my hands of some vids of Vai, and I was pretty amazed. Since then, it's just been more and more fascination towards Vai's musical approach.
scottp
Newcomer

I knew Satch's "Summer Song" from an old Pepsi commercial. I ran out of what I thought were quality CD's to buy with my penny through BMG. I just added the G3 CD because it had Satch's name on it. I heard Vai, and have been mesmorised ever since. The first song I heard was the G3 version of "Red House".
Tanderup
Newcomer

I first heard of a guy named Steve Vai when I listened to Frank Zappa's album "Tinseltown rebellion"
Then I saw a Zappa live performance on TV from early 80's ?? where SV provided some fun moments and cool guitar licks on "We're Turning Again" and "Broken Hearts are for Assholes"
The band did a fantastic version of "Alian Orifice" (I'm not kidding)
Does anybody know this video and where to buy it ?

Per
Pro-string strummer

about 7 years ago, the 1992 g3 with brian may when he played for the love of god... I watched it like 100 times and i think he messed up once... i haven't seen an error in his playing since... wow...
saivai

I was into Satriani first. And a friend of mine got me to listen to a Steve Vai CD (P and W) and i have to admit at first i didnt care for it... then again i was into some crappy stuff at the time, all pop 'cathy tunes writeen by someone else than the singer' stuff.

THEN, i saw the For the Love of God video, and there was something about Vai's PRESCENCE that suddenly grabbed me... now nothing else even gets close to his music. Seeing him live didnt help, I havent listened to anything but Vai since last year (G3 in Concord CA) (got to meet him after the show too). The live performance seemed to give me even more of an 'understanding'? 'feel'? for the music. It was like he gave me something that amplified my love for his music.

Thankyou so much Mr.Vai!
flora_chryseis
Newcomer

it has got to be my boyfriend who's got me hooked on Steve.

well actually he first brought me to watch malmsteen's concert last year,which was utterly BRUTAL!! eventho i loved malmsteen,i wasnt hooked.

then recently(last month actually) when Steve came to my country for a concert,it was then when i converted :lol: my bf won a pair of free-standing tix & he brought me along. we went with him being the fan but at the end if the night, i became the greater fan. now i juz cant get Steve & his music out of my system.it's just totally awesome!!
EVO 555

i discovered my dads cd collection and he told me passion and warfare was the first album i ever listened to and then after that steve vai was my idol
jemgirl

whitesnake! thats when i discovered steve vai.
the album slip of the tonque made me love steve vai.

patricia
brainpolice

Zappa lead me to Vai.
gogo

I can´t forget that day. It was January 1º of 1997 and my brother lend me the Sex & Religion cd that he stole it from a friend. Before I listen that album I didn´t like music but once I listen the hole cd my life change and I´m not joking.
Now I have all Vai solo discography and others rarities. I´m a very huge fan. One prove, rigth now I´m in his message board
jemgirl

yes gogo , sure you are, do you have all steve`s cd`s?

you must be a big fan just like me. 8)

peace,

karwei
Jemfever

The coolest guitarist before i heard of Steve was Slash!It was probably 1989 when i heard of Steve.Nevertheless Slash was the guy i wanted to sound like.At that time i hated all these technical guitarists.All i needed was a marshall and a Les Paul.Later on i heard about a record callled "passsion and warfare" and i thought lets listen to it.That was the day where my world was turned upside down!I loved what i heard and i wanted to abuse the guitar like Steve did!From that day on he's beeen the No.1 and i guess he'll always be.I fell in love with "for the love of god" and i'll always be! :D
bougniaf
Newcomer

Upcoming_Shredder wrote:I discovered Steve on the movie Crossroads. How about you ???
I discovered Steve in 1991, while i was interrested in the beginning of Shred Guitar. I knew Joe Satriani, ans i saw in a magazine that Joe had played with Steve Vai.
So i decided to search about Steve, and i discoverd a bomb called "Passion and Warefare" and since i can' t miss any album or tour when he comes to France.