New album?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
b2

Re: New album?

#16 Post by b2 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:16 pm

3D has flopped before also. In the 80's or something.
It just comes back again now and then. I don't like 3D for movies, but
maybe for PC gamers? Well sometimes when I watch 3D I get a bit "sea sick". My
brain don't like the fake 3D stuff.

I like Blu-ray or "full HD" (1920x1080 resolution).
The brain and eyes can be stressed when watching movies/tv in low resolution.
Because the brain thinks the image is not in perfect focus and tries to adjust all the time.
You don't notice it very much but you get tired in your brain and eyes after some time.
Full HD is also nice when watching some sport on tv because of more details.

But I don't know about any TV broadcasting in 4K. Only a few Internet streamers maybe.
And I don't think 4K will be the standard very soon.

Prezidentman

#17 Post by Prezidentman » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 am

This article explains everything regarding 4k quite nicely....We'll see what happens but it looks like it's well on its way...
http://www.techradar.com/news/televisio ... tv-1048954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zongadude

#18 Post by Zongadude » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Actually I don't understand why "Stillness in motion" is not released on Bluray.

I'm sure that Steve's footage for the "Story of light" tour was shot at the minimum of 720 resolution, since no camera today is "SD only".

Steve's precedent Bluray was also "720 only", yet it was a great artistic success. I just cannot imagine watching "Where the wild things are" on DVD ! The picture and sound on that bluray are absolutely amazing.

Sage83
Newcomer

#19 Post by Sage83 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:19 am

Im sad too.. cause i have the blu-ray of "Where The Wild Things Are"..
i can't imagine to buy a dvd.. i feel like watching a SD divx or youtube conversion..

Steve vai have millions of fan.. anyway a limited edition in blu-ray can be a solution if they are afraid bluray will not have success.

I hope they will thinking to a new edition "blu-ray" soon.

anuj

#20 Post by anuj » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:24 pm

+1 Would Get Blu-Ray. :(

fyrie

#21 Post by fyrie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 pm

I am also bummed that there won't be a Blu-Ray too, considering our new 4K world.

Jenn Pix

#22 Post by Jenn Pix » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 pm

I'm just thrilled to be getting a new DVD, and looking so forward to new music!

I never got the whole Blu-Ray thing, tbh. I'm good with DVD.

b2

#23 Post by b2 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 am

I read in the Facebook chat that there will be no blu-ray so after waiting some time I
can now order the dvd. Always good to know before ordering.
Read the Facebook chat yourself if you want the excact answer. It was something about
Sony had for now no plans about a blu-ray edition.

The 3+ hours bonus material will be interesting.

Sage83
Newcomer

#24 Post by Sage83 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:58 am

ok, thanks for informations.... let's go for order DVD version ! it will be not so bad !

Zongadude

#25 Post by Zongadude » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:47 pm

b2 wrote: Sony had for now no plans about a blu-ray edition.
Then Sony sucks. They are considering Steve is not popular enough to sell many Bluray discs. :roll:

I'm sure Steve edited the film in high-def. I'm sure the video MASTER of "Stillness in motion" is HD. (and perhaps even the bonus materials). So one thing Steve could do is sell the movie privately on his website as an HD .MOV file. I'm ready to pay for it. Computer-aware fans could then buy this film as a download, and watch it on their computer in HD.

And I can easily burn the HD files to make my own Blu-ray disc.

Sage83 wrote: let's go for order DVD version ! it will be not so bad !
I'm all for supporting the artist, so I will buy this DVD.
But I'm not sure I won't watch it with a grin on my face.

Take an example: the official VEVO preview of "Building the church" that is at the moment on the internet :

http://www.vevo.com/watch/steve-vai/Bui ... QX91500362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This clip is presented on the web in 1280 x 720 definition.

That means that this promotional video on the internet has a much better picture quality than the actual product it is promoting, which is the DVD that you will buy in the shops ! (which will be 720 x 480 , since it's a DVD).

Now how bad is this, Sony ?

Perhaps we can start a petition or a campaign to make Sony change their mind about this issue ? If they are enough of us folks to ask for a Blu-ray version, perhaps they will consider it ?

Vaifan1982

#26 Post by Vaifan1982 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:09 am

A Blu Ray version would have been awesome and I would buy it in a heartbeat. I just feel the publisher needs to recognise that Steve is at the forefront of music innovation and sonic/visual excellence. His art deserves and relies on the best media format out there, and I for one want to blast his concert thought my 250watt boston speakers and hear every nuance, the way Steve intended it to be. Heck he gives it his ALL night after night at every single show, in every major/obscure city in the world and never skips a beat, the least he deserves is the best presentation of his craft. I'm happy with anything Steve puts out and the DVD will be brilliant nonetheless. It's just a crime to not showcase the screams of EVO and the growls of the 7 string to their fullest extent. Satch's Satchurated Blu Ray/audio mix was great. What audio mix will this DVD have?

fyrie

#27 Post by fyrie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm buying the DVD too, but hopefully Sony will let us "double-dip" in the near future. I'm all for a digital download release if that gets us HD sooner.

Prezidentman

#28 Post by Prezidentman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:27 pm

Well, Steve confirmed what I had assumed...the costs are too high and the demand too low for a blu-ray release. But he also said you never know what might happen, so there might be a bluray release some day.

Cool news about the P&W re-issue with the additional music and dvd. Too bad it means the new "guitar" album will have to wait again...looks like 2017 now. Sigh

D_Sharp
Newcomer

#29 Post by D_Sharp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:17 am

What I find inexcusable is the quality of the DVD that came out, Blu Ray or no. In 2015, when this had supposedly been worked on for over a year, to come out with worse than video shot on iPhone's, and only a stereo mix, which isn't even mixed well. Joe Satriani has numerous DVDs and Blu Rays out, and the Blu Rays are reference quality, for Steve not have even one decent one is tragic. If Blu Ray is really that expensive, consider a digital download release, HDX on Vudu beats the last DVD handily.

BTW, why did people stop discussing the new album he said he'd been working on?