STEVE VAI ALBUM UPDATE AND SONG PREVIEW ON YOUTUBE

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
litlgrnman

The opening minute really really has a FG feel for me and even a touch of DLR era riffing. I hear some synthing and sound effect layering that reminds me of tUZ. But overall the mood has a decidedly RI feel to me, especially once you get into the faster soloing.

The more I hear it the happier i get!
:mrgreen:

I must say this is a meatier preview then Yai Yai was on RI when it was released early in the guitar mag. Don't get me wrong. I dug on some Yai Yai but it seemed like a peculiar choice to create buzz among non-hardcore Vai fans.

I have a feeling I'll be pretty familar w/ this tune by the time I see it live! :headbang
silverbeetle

Don't know if anyone picked this up yet, but here's the press release:

http://www.favorednations.com/steve-to- ... -of-light/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note the last paragraph:
Following up the 2009 live album Where The Wild Things Are, The Story of Light, is Vai’s 16th solo effort. In support of its release, Vai will begin a tour of North America on August 15th in Fort Lauderdale Florida, accompanied by his band—who are also featured on the new album: Dave Weiner (guitar), Jeremy Colson (drums), Philip Bynoe (bass), and Deborah Hensen (harp, vocals, keyboards).
:D

Oh, and just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXW2PLLSt84
Prezidentman

Good find....interesting, guess that clears it up a bit ....I really wanted that simple ALS type album, it's strange because I thought that we was making that type of an album all along, I know he said it got complicated along the way but I still didn't think it would turn into RI:part 2 because I assumed that the music for that was already written and he wasn't actually using that material for this album....but I guess Steve ultimate decided to make this RI: part 2 from that article, it sounds like it will be a very varied album and cover suggests it's a part of the trilogy.....I also see that "The Moon and I" is on there, thought that was reserved just for the Vaitunes....
Damn, I was hoping Mike Keneally would be in the band....
amegari_hikaru

Prezidentman wrote:Damn, I was hoping Mike Keneally would be in the band....
me too... :( :( :( or Tony MacAlpine...

anyway.. i'm so happy right now (listening to gravity storm over and over again... damn good song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), the RI part 2 thing took me by surprise but in the long run is a good thing that Steve is focus on end the RI trilogy.... (i always think that "expanding the universe" it was going to be part of Real Illusions)...

today i'm going to preorder the Deluxe edition (first time buying something online)... wish me good luck guys... :headbang

IS GOOD TO BE A VAI FAN RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bryceybhoy

amegari_hikaru wrote:
today i'm going to preorder the Deluxe edition (first time buying something online)... wish me good luck guys... :headbang
You won't need any luck. The buying process is pretty impressive and very quick. Enjoy!
sonny sixshooter

Big Bad Bill wrote:Exciting stuff. It sounds more FG/ALS to me, a combination I like.
Here's hoping. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Tom

Ordered the package and I'm looking forward to it. I guess I like the tune, it's reminiscent of "Blowfish" meets "Firewall" meets "Building the Church." I prefer the simpler, less processed guitar tone but I'm glad there's going to be more new music and a tour. Thanks Steve!
Guitaruss

dont know if i like the constant dive boming, makes me feel a little sea sick!
much prefer this type of thing to the 'middle of everywhere' type stuff.
Big Bad Bill

After a few listens I have to say this track is a bit lacklustre for me. I like Vai's multilayered complexity, the tracks where you hear something new every time you listen to it. This is basically ALS in its stripped-back sound and I know some fans will like that but I'm really waiting for it to 'explode' a little more and it never does. Perhaps it's grow on me......ALS did :|

NEXT!
Big Bad Bill

Guitaruss wrote:dont know if i like the constant dive boming, makes me feel a little sea sick! .
Oooo, let's hope this isn't Steve's equivalent of Satch's 'Whammy pedal crutch'! I doubt it will be as Steve has a much bigger playing pallet.
jenarom

I was compiling notes about every little news bit about the new album, and now, with all the new info that was released I wanted to share them, just so that when the album is released we can look for everything. Let's hope nothing is missing. :)

On April 25, 2011 Steve talked about a track called "Innerness", saying it's a painfully beautiful piece that surpassed his expectations.

On June 11, 2011 Steve talked about "Weeping China Doll", saying it's best he can do.

On March 11, 2012 Steve talked about his inspiration for the new 7th Song, "Mullach A'TSi"

On April 26, 2012 Steve talked about his collaboration with Aimee Mann

Now, on the Favored Nations Press Release a few more songs are revealed:

The Story of Light (track #1)
Gravity Storm
No More Amsterdam (the previously mentioned collaboration with Aimee Mann)
John The Revelator (collaboration with Beverly McClellan)
The Moon and I (the previously released VaiTunes track)
Velorum

So as of today, we know about 9 of the 12 songs in the new album.

Did I miss something?
jenarom

What do you guys think about "The Moon and I" being a part of the new album?

I love that song, and it has kept me from going too crazy about not having new Vai material for a while, but I was still surprised to see that it was part of the new album. I would've liked that it stayed being just the best VaiTunes track ever.

But then it occurred to me that maybe we will have a new version of "The Moon and I" on TSOL. What do you think?
Prezidentman

jenarom wrote:What do you guys think about "The Moon and I" being a part of the new album?

I love that song, and it has kept me from going too crazy about not having new Vai material for a while, but I was still surprised to see that it was part of the new album. I would've liked that it stayed being just the best VaiTunes track ever.

But then it occurred to me that maybe we will have a new version of "The Moon and I" on TSOL. What do you think?
Personally, after 7.5 years since RI album I would have liked this album to be long and packed with all new material...but I guess Steve felt very strongly about "The Moon and I" and he wanted it to include it on the album for the people that may not have heard it through I-tunes, it's what he chose to do, I'm fine with that.
Bryceybhoy

Not going to lie, I was a bit disappointed 'The Moon and I' is on the album. That song, to me at least, is just widdly drivel.

I hope there's more to come from this album. I like Gravity Storm, it's different, pretty cool in places and sounds amazing.....but it's not on the same level as his other stuff. Also, what's the story with The Middle of Everywhere? Is it going to go on a separate release? Is it ever getting released? I'm confused (which isn't hard).
Jenn Pix

I'm of two minds on The Moon and I being on the new album.
Part of me is happy to have that song without having to go to YouTube for it when I wanna listen ('Coz no, I don't have an iPod or whatever, and I don't think my sweetie wants to deal with any of that anyway...)
On the other hand, yeah, I was kinda hoping for all-new material. So that's just a little tiny bit of a "pout point" with me.
But then, this is Steve's album, his vision, his story he wants to tell. And if The Moon and I helps to tell the story, then I want it there, for sure.
Ah, but Steve... such a creative mind, couldn't there have been a new song to convey the feeling?
...but they do say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it..." And that song is just so perfect and beautiful... how can you go wrong.?.

*sigh*

Overall, I'm good with it. Yeah, I always want more and new, 'coz that's exciting to me. But I love the song, and hey, if it's part of the story, then by all means, put it on! 8)