STEVE VAI ALBUM UPDATE AND SONG PREVIEW ON YOUTUBE

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
kyle am I

update. The album is called the story of light. Go on youtube and you will find a new track called gravity storm. Its only been twenty minutes science it was posted. Looks cool. What do you guys think. There will probably be a flood of new members now. Finally, new material.
Prezidentman

Yes, like....finally!!!!! New music....
I think the new track is pretty cool, but far from an instant classic, just a cool track. I like that it sounds a bit different from his previous work, mostly from the way it's produced and those cool ideas in the riffs with the octave divider(?)...however, I'm not really a fan of his lead tone here and melodically it doesn't really go anywhere...I get a very "Midnight Creatures" and "Firewall" vibe from this track, not saying that it's a bad thing just that certain elements are very reminiscent of those tracks IMO...either way, I'm just glad that we finally get to hear something new after all these years and I'm still super excited to hear the rest of the album!
_Josu_

Wow I became really excited! The track sounds fine to me, I like the composition...I have to hear It a little bit more to have an opinion but first heard I like It...I think this album will bring some good stuff!

I can't believe it's been 7 years since former album (just a coincidence?). I hope this album is followed by a world tour!
litlgrnman

Notes are bending all over the place!! I like it!
silverbeetle

Yeah, I was going to say he's got the gravity theme working nicely there with the bent notes. I love how Steve always pushes the listener.

I'd imagine seeing Steve perform this will really take it to another level... it's amazing how seeing his fingers connect with the notes can really lift things. Seeing Oooo on 'Where The Wild Things Are' was a classic example for me, wow!

I hope Steve returns to Australia with a full headlining show on his world tour, it's been a long time ;)
Jenn Pix

Still too blown away by the awesomeness to write anything coherent!
Soooooooo loving it, going back to listen again!
:headbang :guitar :mrgreen:
chook01

I like the new track,very Steve.
Bryceybhoy

I bought the Deluxe package. Not sure the records/picks were enough of a deal breaker to go premium. If I ever decide I want them I'll just get them on eBay.

I do find it strange that one of the reasons to buy now was to get the bonus track....but then I log-on 20 mins later and the 'free' bonus track is now on YouTube. Oh well, I can't complain.

It's awesome. I am absolutely LOVING the tone of the guitar. The last 60 seconds of that song is so 'modern day Steve'. Really looking forward to the full release.

Does anyone have any clue about what is on the DVD?
justcartilage

That song is original/phat/awesome!! I mean, why would there ever be any doubt? Every section is a surprise.

How does he continuously write albums/songs that don't sound like any other guitarist when the rest of them all sound like each other (with very few exceptions)?
Prezidentman

Bryceybhoy wrote:
Does anyone have any clue about what is on the DVD?
The pre-order site says: "Containing never before seen interview with Steve Vai about “The Story of Light”

...I doubt I'll be buying the dvd edition if there's just an interview...if there was a dvd about the actual recording of the album then I'd get it...
aaronm
Banned

very little to say about it really ,,...just that its fucking cool ,..love it ,.very tasty ,.. 8)
Bryceybhoy

justcartilage wrote: How does he continuously write albums/songs that don't sound like any other guitarist when the rest of them all sound like each other (with very few exceptions)?
Well said.
ocxcxd

I feel a lot of The Ultra Zone in this song. And the most important, it's AMAZING. Will definitely pre-order an album.
Bryceybhoy

According to Guitar World the album is a continuation of the Real Illusions theme. Would be nice to find that info out here... though I suspect they are getting that from a press release.
Big Bad Bill

Exciting stuff. It sounds more FG/ALS to me, a combination I like.