Visualization techniques for guitarists

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
mrichmond
Newcomer

I was on Justin Sandercoe's site not long ago and watched an interview he did with Steve. During the interview Steve alluded to visualization that he did as a young guitarist and made a comment about being what you see yourself in your mind as being. As both a guitarist and a person who studies the metaphysical world, I have been looking for any information I can find regarding visualization techniques specifically for musicians/guitarists and have really come up blank on the internet. Quite a bit of stuff regarding athletics, but not music.

Does anyone who happens to be reading this know of any techniques or information that have proven helpful in developing their talent?

Also, being new to these sites, is there a way I can shoot a message directly to Steve to see if he has any tips along these lines? I know he is a spiritual guy, both musically and as a human being living in this world we all share and create.

Thanks for any help crew!
Jenn Pix

Well, there's always this from Steve's YouTube stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGBKuCJ ... plpp_video

It's a place to start, anyway. 8)
mrichmond
Newcomer

Thanks so much....what a great lead you gave me. Much appreciated, love to ya!
Jenn Pix

It's one of my favourite videos on YouTube.
The way he describes it all, I found it inspiring and helpful well beyond just guitar.
I mean, I don't play at all (though when I can get my hands on a guitar, I'd love to learn!) but that video...
I've put the same ideas toward my jewelry making and (more recently) dance.
Meditation and visualization... Two amazing tools for nearly any situation! :wink:

glad I could help 8) and love right back to ya!
hush

In case you didn't know, check out :

http://www.vai.com/littleblackdots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, there's :

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron

Check on Amazon for a preview of the content. Also available as an audiobook.

hush
mrichmond
Newcomer

I haven't been on the site in awhile, so sorry for the delayed "Thank You", hush. I will be checking out this Julia Cameron lead right now; the title sounds like the very kind of thing I'm searching for. Love to you as well, take care, and Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on the site.

Matt in Montana
hush

My pleasure.

Let us know if you find other material of that nature. Personally, I'm quite interested in all things dealing with spirituality and creativity.

Merry Christmas and keep on sharing the love 8) .

hush
aaronm
Banned

try magic mushrooms first boil in a pot of water then make a cup of tea or coffee from the water the mushrooms have been boiling in then drink the tea or coffee ...proceed to play your guitar and just keep playing it is rather interesting what happens ....try Im shure you will like...
Just make really shure you get the right mushrooms as you dont want to poison your self.
Trinity777

hush wrote:In case you didn't know, check out :

http://www.vai.com/littleblackdots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, there's :

The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron

Check on Amazon for a preview of the content. Also available as an audiobook.

hush

Great book! Jennifer Batten recommended it to me!

8)