Are Steve's candles safe?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
mindsaber
Newcomer

:idea:
In the new video (in the newsletter), Steve has several candles burning in the background.

What kind of candles are they? Smell-goody ones?

I ask this because candles can release, a let's saaaaay "fair" amount, of toxins into the air. I believe there are studies corroborating this.

I know Steve is very careful about what he eats, so that's why I post this. He should treat his lungs the way he treats his stomach. :wink:

I would figure he'd have a ton of air purifiers in the studio. I believe that the smell, or absence of smell an air purifier creates would be marvelous for the creative process. And it keeps dust to a minimum around expensive equipment.

:mrgreen:
RAI

Wow......
mindsaber
Newcomer

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself." -Han Solo

"Where's your sense of humor, man?" -Bart Simpson

"Air purifiers are healthy for you." -Me
Patill

Those are for frarts. Hydrogen sulfide is very toxic, if you fart through the candles, it gets burnt right away...

Steve is so foresighted and the whole band will have such a long life ;).
Big Bad Bill

mindsaber wrote::idea: I ask this because candles can release, a let's saaaaay "fair" amount, of toxins into the air. I believe there are studies corroborating this.
Just like plastics, air fresheners, cars, trucks, varnishes etc etc
mindsaber wrote:I would figure he'd have a ton of air purifiers in the studio. I believe that the smell, or absence of smell an air purifier creates would be marvelous for the creative process. And it keeps dust to a minimum around expensive equipment.
They don't do that much other than remove a bit of pollen and a few spores which is what ones respiratory system does and far more efficiently. They're a scam peddled to scare the paranoid into buying them.

A few candles etc in a large volume of air are no problem I'm sure. Are, per chance, selling air purifiers?
mindsaber
Newcomer

Big Bad Bill wrote:
mindsaber wrote::idea: I ask this because candles can release, a let's saaaaay "fair" amount, of toxins into the air. I believe there are studies corroborating this.
Just like plastics, air fresheners, cars, trucks, varnishes etc etc
mindsaber wrote:I would figure he'd have a ton of air purifiers in the studio. I believe that the smell, or absence of smell an air purifier creates would be marvelous for the creative process. And it keeps dust to a minimum around expensive equipment.
They don't do that much other than remove a bit of pollen and a few spores which is what ones respiratory system does and far more efficiently. They're a scam peddled to scare the paranoid into buying them.

A few candles etc in a large volume of air are no problem I'm sure. Are, per chance, selling air purifiers?
Candles release carcinogens and toxins, bottom line. Evidence is indisputable. You lose.

It's funny you say air purifiers are a scam. HEPA technology has HUNDREDS of studies demonstrating the ability to remove MUCH more than just pollen, buddy. I win again.

I care about Steve. I'm a fan. This is just a messageboard. Plus I think he'd dig the smell (or absence thereof) that air purifiers give. This is a messageboard. I'm a fan. I win thrice.

I am not a salesman. Epic quadruple win.
litlgrnman

Oh wow. We're really witnessing something special here.

:roll:
RAI

If Steve was so concerned about the air quality in his studio, that he wouldn't be burning candles, then he most certainly would not be living in Los Angeles.

:mrgreen:
Patill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tfuBIutLI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this just came to my mind...
Jenn Pix

Oh boy :roll:
I can't believe this!

All right. There are candles out there with cotton wicks, without the lead or zinc in the core. There are also candles made from bee's wax (seems a good choice for Steve if you think about it...) or from soy. These smoke far less (some don't smoke at all...) than other candles.

Was this trip really necessary.?.

Carry on 8)
Big Bad Bill

mindsaber wrote:I am not a salesman. Epic quadruple win.
Yes of course, how silly of me, you can't be a salesman since your post suggests you must be a 7 year old, little girl.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think Steve will buy Michael Jacksons' old oxygen tank to sleep in.

Can we get this thread back on 'friendly' again, please?

J
Big Bad Bill

Jeroen wrote:I think Steve will buy Michael Jacksons' old oxygen tank to sleep in.
Jeroen! Oxygen and naked flames do not mix! Don't you remember that school experiment with a smoldering taper and a gas jar filled with oxygen? Besides oxygen can be toxic at high pressures too.
Jeroen wrote:Can we get this thread back on 'friendly' again, please?
Sorry, yes, friendly, 7 year old little girl. I'm kidding, I'm kidding.
Patill

To keep this a little more scientific...don´t eat anything, don´t drink anything (and I mean anything, not just fast food stuff), and don´t breathe anymore. This way you can avoid absorbing everyday carcinogens and you will most certainly not die because of cancer...

"Dosis sola venenum facit" (Paracelsus)

Please think about this before writing things about scary candles. I don´t wanna explain any more stuff, because I wanna play the guitar :mrgreen:.
Big Bad Bill

'Only dose determines poison'. Thanks Patill, I like it.