Waiting list for Steve's new 2011 album

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
jenarom

It's official! Again. In the latest Youtube video update, sent in the email newsletter, Steve announced a new album that he will start recording early next year, and will be released before his new world tour in the summer of 2011.

It's very much like an Alien Love Secrets type of album, will be guitar oriented.

Are you excited? I am! Come on and join, and post if you can't wait for it to be released!
Prezidentman

Oh, hell yes!!! Finally, a guitar album!! Man, I really have high expectations for this one,
I've been hoping that Steve would decide to again do something like ALS again for years,
raise the bar a bit again, give the guitar community something to talk about again...it's been waaay
too long!
Jenn Pix

*excited squeak.!.*
I'm absolutely thrilled about this! I love everything I've heard from Steve, but yeah... a focus on the guitar again like 'Alien Love Secrets'... That's just got me so far beyond excited!

**dances for joy.!.**

It's gonna' be hard to wait that long... :wink:
amegari_hikaru

OMFG!!!!

finally a studio album... i'm so excited right now!!! anyone had the url for the tube video?

EDIT: Never mind... i allready watch it... the piece "expanding the universe" for the oncoming show in holland will be only orchestra or guitar and orchestra?
Polymnie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25A6rcYjFbg
Here is!
It's beautiful an happy man! :D
Big Bad Bill

Anything....just give us anything....anything but an orchestral cover your music Steve.....

So this suggests Real Illusions 2 has been shelved for the time being? I thought he was in the studio working on that? Do you think Steve's creative juices are running dry? Could it be he's finding it hard to come up with the complex music we all love him for?
Prezidentman

Big Bad Bill wrote:Anything....just give us anything....anything but an orchestral cover your music Steve.....

So this suggests Real Illusions 2 has been shelved for the time being? I thought he was in the studio working on that? Do you think Steve's creative juices are running dry? Could it be he's finding it hard to come up with the complex music we all love him for?
He explained that in the video..
If anything he has too much material....I mean, he has that "Infinity Shelf" (I believe that's what he calls it) with tons of DATs, CD's etc. of songs and ideas at his disposal...it's more a question of what he choses to do at a the given time....since RI he's mostly been touring, ZPZ, Metropole orchestra thing, etc...and the next instalment of RI would take him a long time, that's why he's doing this simpler album now, so he'll have something out by next year, I for one, couldn't be more excited for that...
Big Bad Bill

It seems that Steve enjoys playing live which is great for a small number of people who are lucky enough to attend. He's been doing this an awful lot recently, partly because I suspect its a lucrative thing to do and he simply likes performing live. But the vast majority of his fans don't get to see him live and his studio output is the meat and potatoes of his catalogue of work-it brings in new fans and keeps things fresh. He could've declined some other work like the Hendrix tour (there are a million Hendrix clones out there or people putting their own 'spin' on his music)and started work on RI:II and then toured with that.

I'm aware Steve has a lot of music in his archive (why some of it couldn't appear on the now incomplete and dead Box Set, I don't know) but surely this makes coming up with his complex music a bit easier since he has other material to dip in to. ALS was fun, but I'd love something substantial. By the way, don't forget he promised us 'ALS on Steroids' a couple of years ago, so don't hold your breath for it now-he'll get distracted with another orchestra piece or something!
Bryceybhoy

Big Bad Bill wrote: He could've declined some other work like the Hendrix tour (there are a million Hendrix clones out there or people putting their own 'spin' on his music)and started work on RI:II and then toured with that.
By the way, don't forget he promised us 'ALS on Steroids' a couple of years ago, so don't hold your breath for it now-he'll get distracted with another orchestra piece or something!
I agree. I wish he'd shelved the Hendrix offer. I suppose it' a major honour to be invited, so you can see why he'd want to be part of it.

I really, really would like to see all the orchestra stuff given the body swerve. Sound Theories - in my worthless opinion - was dull and I'd rather have the energy and excitement of Real Illusions II or ALS II. His last studio album was 2005 (correct?) and we'll soon be entering 2011!!!

Anyway, on a more serious note, the six minutes he spent on his ass on that damn chair speaking to that damn camera for his YouTube update....that's six minutes he could have spent in the recording studio working his fingers on a new 'sonic tapestry'.

My life deteriorates with every passing day without new Vai music.

Steve, sort it out.
Prezidentman

Like most Vai fans, I too think it's been way too long since a proper album release, the 2-3 year album cycle since P&W came to a halt with the Ultra Zone (or AIAUW) and since then it's been taking very long for anything truly new to get released and you almost begin losing interest after years of no new material...

BUT you know, he have to respect Steve's decisions, it comes down to what he wants and feels like doing at the end of the day anyway, if he is not in the right frame of mind to sit down write and record an album (or shelves a certain project to do something else) no one can make him. He obviously loves being out on the road and the challenges of the orchestra world, which, like everything Steve does, take great amounts of time, you also have to think of him now as a composer not just a guitar player that records albums...I just hope that whatever he releases next will make the Vai fans go "Wow" again and make us believe the wait was worth it.
litlgrnman

It's easy for everyone to sit around and wish for Steve to do what they want him to do. In reality though, he has to do what makes himself happy and fulfilled as an artist as much as you have to do what makes you happy and fulfilled.

He's spending a whopping month on a Hendrix project he's probably wanted to do for a while. Following the grueling amount of time I would expect the upcoming festival has required I'm sure a quick mini tour ripping out some Hendrix tunes will be just what the Dr. ordered.

Over the nearly 25 years being a Vai fan one thing I have learned is to be patient. I used to spend a lot of energy hanging on every new detail or tidbit of information. Yes, he's got a list of unfinished projects longer than mine (granted for every one I've dreamt he's finished 10).

The way I look at is I've enjoyed everything he's put out over that time (some more than others) so I'm thrilled to hear that the next project is going to be an ALS type record. That will, if it comes to fruition, fulfill one of my wishes! It's good to know he's still hungry and wants to get in that new studio and just let his guitar do the talking.

There's an infinite amount of music and art out there. I have a hard time believing Steve is the only one that can satisfy a particular taste.
ocuj

I love Steve's orchestral minded music of the last 6 years, but I'm really glad we'll get an Alien Love Secrets kind of album. Can't wait for it.
Polymnie

Big Bad Bill wrote:Anything....just give us anything....anything but an orchestral cover your music Steve.....

As you I would have liked that Steve dedicates the necessary time to realize Real Illusions II.
Doubtless he doesn't feel ready, and this suite can't be mediocre. On the other hand contrary to you, I am enthused by his work with an orchestra. Since a long time by listening his music, I said myself that his compositions would deserve to be played by a large-scale group.
His palette is rich and cannot satisfy everybody all the time and at the same moment. Some are going to go into raptures by listening to "Speed" and others, like me, being amazed on "Gentle Ways" for example. I can't imagine Steve's creative juices are running dry.
I am sure that Steve still has marvels to offer us. :)
Big Bad Bill

litlgrnman wrote:It's easy for everyone to sit around and wish for Steve to do what they want him to do. In reality though, he has to do what makes himself happy and fulfilled as an artist as much as you have to do what makes you happy and fulfilled.
That's true to an extent, but this is possibly what Satch did and he's lost a huge swathes of fans as a consequence-I wouldn't buy another Satch CD or bother seeing him in concert again and I was a huge fan once. There has to be an element of 'keeping the fans happy' to any musician's raison d'etre and I think this 'ALS on Steroids' project is exactly that. Steve loves his complex music, be it orchestral, multi-layered music like P&W, FG etc, so for him to come out and say he's putting out a simple and quick album of guitar tunes...it seems like a temporary pacifier to me. I'm sure it'll have some gems on it (pun intended) but if Steve can't finish a project (Box set, Real Illusions) he should think carefully before embarking upon them. If he'd just released RI and said nothing of the trilogy idea, we'd be none the wiser and perfectly content with the album and if he did ever produce RI 2 and 3, we'd be really happy. Alas his over ambitiousness has been his down fall.

As to his orchestral music: Steve once said in an interview that he has fans who only like one aspect of his output. Perhaps he's describing me. However, there is simply much better orchestral music than Steve's out there in my opinion and Steve's relative success in this genre is simply due to fans who will by anything by their favourite artist.
Samuele

Honestly, I think Steve is doing the best moves as time passes. I don't really know, but I think his popularity is constantly growing and therefore he gets requests to do various projects all the time. So he has to choose what to do next balancing what he likes to do (composing and playing the guitar being the two foremost things, then also going on tour) and what is manageable for him to do. After all, he does most of the stuff that goes into making a record himself and delegates all the rest to people he can trust. I think the Favored Nations office is not a big one, and I remember once Steve Lukather saying that our Steve was the busiest person he ever knew - always constantly working on something.

Think of it, Steve started to envision what became the Real Illusions project in May 2002 (see this postcard). It took him almost three years to complete the first installment of that project. He has stated many times that that type of albums takes a lot of time to get finished. Of course, he could have shelved a whole lot of projects he has done since the RI tour was done, but would that have been what he really wanted to do? I believe that whatever Steve chooses to do, he focuses entirely on that for that given time, so he needs to be in the right frame of mind to achieve what he's aiming at. To date, Real Illusions is my favorite album ever, and I'd really love seeing the next installment completed. But I also know for sure that if Steve embarks on that while not being ready to focus on it, the result is not going to be great.

When I saw the little video Andy posted on YouTube, what Steve said made perfect sense to me. To me, he explained everything there was to explain. I don't know, would you have preferred that he declined the new Orchestra project (something that he loves to do) and went on working on a new epic album, therefore making us all wait another couple of years? Honestly, I am exited about what Steve anticipated! Come on, a new album where he is focusing on the guitar and then a new tour!