The "longest solo" question

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
jaseinthehole
Newcomer

Hey everybody!

In terms of what we consider the break in a song which ultimately leads to Steve ripping it up time and time again, where or in what recording does his longest solo reside?
I had been wondering about this every time I happen to listen to the track "#?@! Yourself" off of Flexable Leftovers. Ain't that one mother of a long ass voyage? :shock: :shock: :shock:
This question keeps popping up for me, sparking my curiosity, and leading me to only one conclusion. That this track contains the longest solo I have had the privilege of hearing. Now there may be one in waiting somewhere in the Vai vaults that never made it to the final choice on a release, but that we may have to wait for.

If I am wrong tell me, and point out that which is longer. I would want to hear it if it exists. I welcome your opinion.

Peace! :mrgreen:
litlgrnman

Rescue Me Or Bury Me??

solo starts at 2:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg6x7bEQrn4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LydianAlchemist
Newcomer

I would have to agree.

I love that song so much!
Moon and I though, what about that one? its similar in structure.
Samuele

And how about "Opposites Attract Part 2 (The Indulgent Version)"?
Last edited by Samuele on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hjalmar Jakobsson

opposites attract 2 is not a solo; it is a jam/song
jenarom

Maybe "The Moon and I", which also reminded me of "Rescue me or bury me"
jaseinthehole
Newcomer

Thanks for all the responses so far.

You may want to curse me after you here what I am about to say but I'll still consider myself a huge Vai fan no matter what. I never heard "The Moon and I." The last full length release I bought was Real Illusions: Reflections.
jenarom

"The Moon and I" was released last month on iTunes and other online retailers. It's part of the Vaitunes releases, which are supposed to come out once per month.
lydian7

I was going to say Rescue me or Bury Me too, but I see that someone has already put it forward.

Steve really puts in a heart felt vocal and instrumental performance on that song. I remember reading ages ago, in a guitar magazine interview promoting Fire Garden, about how Steve went to a very well-renowned vocal coach to improve his vocal abilities for the record, having been disenchanted with Sex and Religion (as much as I love Townsend's music and vocal abilities, I still think he didn't quite gel in the Vai band). The vocal coach took Steve through a rigorous and unique training regime, actually bringing out hidden anxieties and phobias in order to (presumably) bring out a more honest and pure vocal performance. I remember reading that Steve was skeptical at the time=, but after a while in to the practice session he found himself on the floor grabbing at his teacher's trouser leg and crying like a baby!

Whatever that vocal coach did i think he did a good job. Fire Garden is a masterpiece, and Steve's vocal performance on All About Eve is nothing short of inspired. Rescue me or Bury Me reminds me very much of his vocal performances on Fire Garden, but to my knowledge he recorded those before going to the vocal coach. go figure! :|
Bryceybhoy

Hjalmar Jakobsson wrote:opposites attract 2 is not a solo; it is a jam/song
You mean like Joe Satriani?

Find melody...repeat melody...solo over melody....repeat solo octave higher....blues solo....jam...finish....repeat format for 12 songs.....release album every 18 months.
lydian2000

Bryceybhoy wrote:
You mean like Joe Satriani?

Find melody...repeat melody...solo over melody....repeat solo octave higher....blues solo....jam...finish....repeat format for 12 songs.....release album every 18 months.
+1000

you nailed it right on its head.

:)

:peace
lydian7

You mean like the verse - chorus song structure that 99% of western rock music comprises of? Steve follows almost exactly the same structure on occasion, let us not forget. It is not the canvas but the paint and brush-strokes you use in which to paint upon it.
lydian2000

Ok then but Steve is constantly trying new brushes, canvasses, colours, and broadening(reshuffling, exploring,destroying, recreating) his palette!

The comparison in terms of musical creativity is cruel.

I think I'll have to wait for a very long time before Satch composes his own "Under it all"

Well, that's how I see it anyway.

:peace