Whats going on with Vai Tunes ?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
ocuj

I'm really amazed by some of the comments in here. Offcourse I want my new Vaitune, but let's be honest, Steve has been extremely busy. This year he was writing orchestra stuff, doing these orchestra concerts, rebuilding his studio, change off staff with Mikey leaving which surely involved some meetings, doing the Alien masterclasses, doing the Hendrix thing, etc. The last three months were entirely filled with the orchestra concerts, I guess. So, we have to wait a little longer. So what.

Ok, Steve promises more than he delivers, but that's just because he mentiones everything he wants to do as actual plans. You should have known that since he mentioned the plans on publishing a fictional Passion & Warfare book. This guy has more plans than he can work out. Lucky for us the plans that do become reality are extremely good.
Prezidentman

ocuj wrote:I'm really amazed by some of the comments in here. Offcourse I want my new Vaitune, but let's be honest, Steve has been extremely busy. This year he was writing orchestra stuff, doing these orchestra concerts, rebuilding his studio, change off staff with Mikey leaving which surely involved some meetings, doing the Alien masterclasses, doing the Hendrix thing, etc. The last three months were entirely filled with the orchestra concerts, I guess. So, we have to wait a little longer. So what.

Ok, Steve promises more than he delivers, but that's just because he mentiones everything he wants to do as actual plans. You should have known that since he mentioned the plans on publishing a fictional Passion & Warfare book. This guy has more plans than he can work out. Lucky for us the plans that do become reality are extremely good.
It's all been said before and YES, you're absolutely right...we all know how busy Steve is and we are in no position to "demand" anything...BUT I think you also have to consider the big picture here--> There has been one new studio album since 2001 or 1999 (if you don't consider the AIAUW a studio album), no wonder the fans are getting restless...now of course Steve doesn't have to "give" us anything or release anything new if he doesn't want to, but the thing is he DOES want to and promises to...the hardcore fans are just getting a bit frustrated when things are taking forever or do not end up happening at all, now to an extent this has always been the case, but never has there been such a long period without new music... And we know we can't change anything about it and that it's just the way it is, but that's what these forums are for, so everyone can vent here if it's in a respectful manner, which I believe it is.
ocuj

It's all been said before and YES, you're absolutely right...we all know how busy Steve is and we are in no position to "demand" anything...BUT I think you also have to consider the big picture here--> There has been one new studio album since 2001 or 1999 (if you don't consider the AIAUW a studio album), no wonder the fans are getting restless...now of course Steve doesn't have to "give" us anything or release anything new if he doesn't want to, but the thing is he DOES want to and promises to...the hardcore fans are just getting a bit frustrated when things are taking forever or do not end up happening at all, now to an extent this has always been the case, but never has there been such a long period without new music... And we know we can't change anything about it and that it's just the way it is, but that's what these forums are for, so everyone can vent here if it's in a respectful manner, which I believe it is.
Ok, I feel like a fanboy defending him like this (I'm not btw, enough critic from my part). It's not all about the studio albums. Steve is not you're typical tour, record, tour, record kind of artist. Thank God, I'd say. Just look how many people feel bad about the stuff Satriani of Dream Theater put out the last decade. They're complaining about this cycle a lot. Steve on the other hand always seems to find the good projects.
And he put out more new music than people give him credit for. Ultra Zone, AIAUW, Real Illusions, Sound Theories. That's 4 cd's in a decade, one every 2,5 years average. That's not that bad. Besides that he put out some semi-new music. The VAI-Tunes, Archives 3 and 4, Seventh Song cd, Elusive Light and Sound. And besides that he did the Astoria thing, Where The Wild Things Are and the Piano Reductions. That are 11 cd's in total of total new, partial new, adapted, unreleased or live music. I didn't count the Vai-Tunes in the release. So, not all the cd's contain new music, but they did all take time to produce, engineer and mix.

Besides the cd's Steve did some time assuming projects, like Aching Hunger, Vai Festival, Fire Strings, Alien masterclasses, and several world tours. And the guy has a family. It seems to me he was extremely busy last decade.

I think this describes the big picture quite well.
Prezidentman

ocuj wrote:
Ok, I feel like a fanboy defending him like this (I'm not btw, enough critic from my part). It's not all about the studio albums. Steve is not you're typical tour, record, tour, record kind of artist. Thank God, I'd say. Just look how many people feel bad about the stuff Satriani of Dream Theater put out the last decade. They're complaining about this cycle a lot. Steve on the other hand always seems to find the good projects.
And he put out more new music than people give him credit for. Ultra Zone, AIAUW, Real Illusions, Sound Theories. That's 4 cd's in a decade, one every 2,5 years average. That's not that bad. Besides that he put out some semi-new music. The VAI-Tunes, Archives 3 and 4, Seventh Song cd, Elusive Light and Sound. And besides that he did the Astoria thing, Where The Wild Things Are and the Piano Reductions. That are 11 cd's in total of total new, partial new, adapted, unreleased or live music. I didn't count the Vai-Tunes in the release. So, not all the cd's contain new music, but they did all take time to produce, engineer and mix.

Besides the cd's Steve did some time assuming projects, like Aching Hunger, Vai Festival, Fire Strings, Alien masterclasses, and several world tours. And the guy has a family. It seems to me he was extremely busy last decade.

I think this describes the big picture quite well.
I'm not arguing with you, it's just a matter of how you chose to look at it. Up to about 2001 Steve was pretty much in the regular tour-album cycle IMO and I say this in the most respectful way->I know he did a TON of projects and released a lot of stuff since then (I have them all) and I'm not complaining, I'm glad he did, but simply put, I just feel we could do without some of those things (which still take months and months of his time-e.g. WTWA dvd) for the time being and getting the second instalment of RI or any new album for that matter instead (and it's evident I'm by far not the only here) because a lot of those projects are different takes on his already released material and as good as it is, for me, it just doesn't present the same thrill, especially after listening to "The Moon and I" about 50 times, that song is the first thing from Steve that truly got me excited again in years. That's just how I feel.
Big Bad Bill

Prezidentman wrote: "The Moon and I" about 50 times, that song is the first thing from Steve that truly got me excited again in years. That's just how I feel.
This shows how out of touch I've become with Vai but how do I access Vai Tunes? I'd like to hear this 'Moon and I'.
Samuele

Big Bad Bill wrote:This shows how out of touch I've become with Vai but how do I access Vai Tunes? I'd like to hear this 'Moon and I'.
BBB, It's very simple, really.

You need to choose an online music retailer among those that are listed on http://www.vai.com/vaitunes/

I think the easiest way is to download the single VaiTunes from iTunes.

If you're not familiar with how iTunes store works, just let me know and I'll explain.

You can also download the PDF booklets for free here: http://www.vai.com/vaitunes/

I'd really like to hear what you think of "The Moon And I".
Prezidentman

Or you can just go to Youtube and listen to it there. since Steve put in up
on his official channel there a while back :wink:
RAI

Big Bad Bill wrote:This shows how out of touch I've become with Vai but how do I access Vai Tunes? I'd like to hear this 'Moon and I'.

You would think it should be fairly easily found, but it isn't...
Took me few minutes, but the links and info is available on the site.
lydian2000

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Prezidentman wrote: "The Moon and I" about 50 times, that song is the first thing from Steve that truly got me excited again in years. That's just how I feel.
This shows how out of touch I've become with Vai but how do I access Vai Tunes? I'd like to hear this 'Moon and I'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwpOMxCOCQo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enjoy.

I like the music, the lyrics...hum not so much. but nice feeling overall.

:peace
Big Bad Bill

Thanks guys, I didn't realise I could get it from iTunes! I've heard it on yotube and...hmmmm, a bit harmonically static really, like playing over a sparkly synth patch. I take it its a track that didn't make the final cut to an album? I'll give it a miss I think.
jenarom

One more month has gone by and still no new vaitunes.

I think this deserves a comment from Andy or Steve.
Prezidentman

Track 6 is coming...
http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... 35&t=30670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...though it appears to be re-release of one of Steve's collaboration type things...
Balls2TheWall

Another song that we've already heard that was released years ago.

Very disappointing, and just confirms that the "infinity shelf" is a myth.
Prezidentman

Balls2TheWall wrote:Another song that we've already heard that was released years ago.

Very disappointing, and just confirms that the "infinity shelf" is a myth.
You've actually heard this?? I for one didn't. Well, he probably just didn't have time to work on a new track since the Hendrix tour so he chose a track that not a lot of people are aware of... but yeah, you're basically right, it's not really new....man, I just want a new album so BAAAAAAAD!
ocuj

You've actually heard this?? I for one didn't. Well, he probably just didn't have time to work on a new track since the Hendrix tour so he chose a track that not a lot of people are aware of... but yeah, you're basically right, it's not really new....man, I just want a new album so BAAAAAAAD!
This track is from the cd Saurang Orchestra by Surinder Sandhu.