I'm curious...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Fanch

I'm curious about the sound/tone that starts off the song Oooo. It seems I've heard it used elsewhere also. Can anyone fill me in where it comes from/ how it was generated, etc? I have a feeling this has been asked before, so if there is another thread with the answer I would be grateful.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

It's a sample.

Mikey
vai.com
Fanch

Thanks Mikey. :)
Big Bad Bill

I'm its used as a repeating sound motif in 'Heroes'.
lydian2000

the sound effect-over the sample- is called "reverse echo or reverse reverb" it creates the illusion of sounds coming from everywhere/out of nowhere (i.e left and right) I sometimes use it for introducing a lead solo but I believe it works best with a Voice (Steve uses it extensively in "dying for your love") you just take your waveform, reverse it, apply a big echo or hall reverb on it, then reverse it back and it works!

I'm very fond of it especially when applied to unusual sounds, like the sustain of a low piano note.

Any geeky/sound engineer tech/talk would be much appreciated at this point, if not to correct my amateur experience!

:peace
Jeries

lydian2000 wrote:the sound effect-over the sample- is called "reverse echo or reverse reverb" it creates the illusion of sounds coming from everywhere/out of nowhere (i.e left and right) I sometimes use it for introducing a lead solo but I believe it works best with a Voice (Steve uses it extensively in "dying for your love") you just take your waveform, reverse it, apply a big echo or hall reverb on it, then reverse it back and it works!

I'm very fond of it especially when applied to unusual sounds, like the sustain of a low piano note.

Any geeky/sound engineer tech/talk would be much appreciated at this point, if not to correct my amateur experience!

:peace
shhhh!!!!!! thats been my awesome secret/trick for like 4 yrs now- you're not supposed to tell anyone
reverse+reverb+reverse back= awesome