new track "Without Me"

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
eledance

Hey, as you may or may not know I'm a huge fan for about 25 years now, but I'm wondering what kind of drugs Steve was on when he decided to realease this track. :roll:
In my opinion its by far the worse song I've heard in that 25 years.

Peace and love :(

Rob. :?: :?: :?:
b2

I have not heard the track, but I think it is great Steve release single songs online.
I don't know what will come but I will check them out and buy those I like.

PS. I prefer using the online music store http://www.7digital.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from UK I believe.
Would be nice if VaiTunes also comes there. They already got many Vai albums, songs etc.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Perhaps you could expand on why you don't like it.

Mikey
vai.com
mainitz

I downloaded the song from amazon today.
Really like this track. Thanks for that.
Please keep on releasing some songs out of your archive !! it´s a good thing because we fans get some new stuff from steve, so waiting for the next record becomes less harder ;)
see you in holland !

best regards from germany
eledance

Mikey wrote:Perhaps you could expand on why you don't like it.

Mikey
vai.com
Well, the drumtrack is terrible (sounds like a very cheap machine), and if anybody told me this is a stand inn trying to sound like Vai I would believe him :)
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

eledance wrote:

Mikey
vai.com
Well, the drumtrack is terrible (sounds like a very cheap machine), and if anybody told me this is a stand inn trying to sound like Vai I would believe him :)
That's it? That's your only critique?

It's fine to have an opinion, and you don't need to like anything, but just posting that the track is the "worst" you've heard from Steve and not explaining your reasoning is not helpful to anyone.

It's Mike Mangini on drums.

Mikey
vai.com
kenix700
Newcomer

I really liked this track! To me it sounds kinda in the style of Sex & Religion which is my least favorite Vai album. That being said this track was awesome!
Cant wait to see whats next!!!
Big Bad Bill

Where can someone, in the UK, legally download this track?

Since this track never 'saw the light of day' via an album, in the first place and is only released now for 'fanatic's interest', I wouldn't expect it to be of Steve's usual quality. But it is very interesting to hear-I'm looking forward to getting hold of it and hearing how Steve's ideas develop into his fully orchestrated masterpieces!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

VaiTunes are available from all major digital music retailers, including iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, eMusic, Amazon MP3, Lala, IMVU, Shockhound, Amie Street, LimeWire Store and the Nokia Music Store.

Just tested it via iTunes and worked perfectly, so I presume that should work for you as well :)

And it's a nice track, has this 'Warm Regards' kinda vibe to it.

J
eledance

Mikey wrote:
eledance wrote:

Mikey
vai.com

It's fine to have an opinion, and you don't need to like anything, but just posting that the track is the "worst" you've heard from Steve and not explaining your reasoning is not helpful to anyone.

Mikey vai.com
I know who the musicians are, I realise its just my opinion but in the past Steve gave me the feeling I understood what he was trying to tell me but in this track I here him talk without saying anything.

Nobody asked me for it but it's my opinion and my advise is: Download the track :!: and then tell me I'm the onlyone who's a little disapointed :wink:
Last edited by eledance on Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
anuj

I downloaded it and enjoyed it.

It was a studio demo, and honestly, I like the lack of absolute polish in the production. It's simply done and sounds awesome. :)

~A
cosmic ape

There's an old tune out there that started as a demo, and even though it was raw and the time fluctuated a little bit, it so had the right vibe, so it went straight to the album... It's Jimi's "Little Wing"
ocuj

Mikey
vai.com
Well, liking or disliking a song can't really be explained in an objective way. I really can't explain why I dislike, mostlikely as the only one on this boards, Liberty.

But Mikey, now we have to explain why we don't like something Steve created? It's just the opinion of this guy, and like you said, he's entitled to one. But why should he explain? I never saw you ask for an explanation why somebody found an creation by Steve the best song ever. I always liked this boards because we could be honest and praise and disgust Steve for his works. I hope that's not going to change.

And by the way, he said Steve's worst. Steve's worst is still pretty damn awesome. :D
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

ocuj wrote: But Mikey, now we have to explain why we don't like something Steve created? It's just the opinion of this guy, and like you said, he's entitled to one. But why should he explain? I never saw you ask for an explanation why somebody found an creation by Steve the best song ever. I always liked this boards because we could be honest and praise and disgust Steve for his works. I hope that's not going to change.
Not at all, it's more about the way the statements were made. If he just said that it isn't his cup of tea, fine. But saying Steve is on drugs and it's his worst, I think a little insight in why excactly it's so repulsive for him is way more valueble critique than just saying that it sucks. Otherwise, what would be the benefit of saying it on a public foruml? After all, we're here to discuss :)

J
ocuj

Not at all, it's more about the way the statements were made. If he just said that it isn't his cup of tea, fine. But saying Steve is on drugs and it's his worst, I think a little insight in why excactly it's so repulsive for him is way more valueble critique than just saying that it sucks. Otherwise, what would be the benefit of saying it on a public foruml? After all, we're here to discuss :)

J
That's good to hear. The drug related remark was a little bit too much indeed.