Whitesnake and Vai

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
tk777

Just sat in my lesson at college listening to Whitesnake at Donnington 1990 when Vai was on guitar.

Anyone else think a short Whitesnake 1990 reunion would be cool ?

If it went ahead make it after the new album though. lol. :wink:
EyE

It was what it was.
Samuele

And my next question was: "What was it like in Whitesnake?" :)

Seriously, as good as his collaboration with Whitesnake was (I love Slip of the Tongue), I do hope that Steve stays a solo artist forever.
Jeries

[quote="Samuele"]And my next question was: "What was it like in Whitesnake?" :)quote]

my next question is "What kind of strings do you use" and "what kind of wah wah pedal do you use"

followed by "What was it like playing with Zappa" then "What was it like playing with David Lee Roth"

and the occational "have you ever met eddie van halen"
tk777

Seriously, as good as his collaboration with Whitesnake was (I love Slip of the Tongue), I do hope that Steve stays a solo artist forever.
I hope so too I just think it would be cool to see that line up together again for a one off show or something.
Big Bad Bill

tk777 wrote:I hope so too I just think it would be cool to see that line up together again for a one off show or something.
A 'one off' show isn't a case of booking a hall, taking you guitar and amp along plugging in, rehearsing a bit and then letting the punters in to watch! It really means 12+ months ( a pure guess) of schedule synchronisation, rehearsals, promoters, venue bookings, equipment hire, merchandising etc-its a major undertaking. Add to this Steve's perfectionist attitude.... Musically, Whitesnake was then, now is now and I'm sure Steve's moved on from 80s hair rock!
boswell

Big Bad Bill wrote:Musically, Whitesnake was then, now is now and I'm sure Steve's moved on from 80s hair rock!
Looking round the audience at the nottingham gig the other year I'd say 95% of his fanbase haven't! :wink:
Big Bad Bill

boswell wrote:Looking round the audience at the nottingham gig the other year I'd say 95% of his fanbase haven't! :wink:
Its interesting that when I strike up a conversation with people at a Vai gig, very very few of them know anything about his website, this message board etc and the only conclusion I can come to is that the vast majority at the gigs are curious general rock fans who've come to check out who Vai is and that its true he can't play barre chords, rather than 'true fans'. This might account for the big hair contingent...possibly.
boswell

Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:Looking round the audience at the nottingham gig the other year I'd say 95% of his fanbase haven't! :wink:
Its interesting that when I strike up a conversation with people at a Vai gig, very very few of them know anything about his website, this message board etc and the only conclusion I can come to is that the vast majority at the gigs are curious general rock fans who've come to check out who Vai is and that its true he can't play barre chords, rather than 'true fans'. This might account for the big hair contingent...possibly.
I think many Vai fans are just stuck in the past as are say Van Halen fans or many other 80's artist followers.

People in general are very ageist when it comes to music and find it difficult to move with the times, pretty much like the book on music and the brain suggests that tastes are formed in the brain early on and dont stray too far from their chosen path.

Unlike me and your good self who are still youthful, open to new ideas and happy for someone to convince us that Purple is the new Blue.
Big Bad Bill

I also read that people are less likely to try and enjoy new types of food after the age of about 30ish. Maybe there's a link?
bluepowder71
Newcomer

EyE wrote:It was what it was.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I like this place already