That Metal Show

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
atlantakat

Did not see a post on this, but look for the most recent "That Metal Show" on VH 1 Classic.

Steve is the guest and he fields questions about Where The Wild Things Are", working with Zappa, DLR and Whitesnake, his preference for rock/metal vs. grundge and 70s Scorpions with Uli Roth over 80s Scorpions.

Here is what I posted on VH links about the show (and tried to make some non-critical contrasts with the never ending VH soap opera):

Vai Rules!!

Loved the bit when Vai contrasted working with DLR and Coverdale. "Coverdale was always so English, so proper [adopting Coverdale's voice], "Stevie, darling, can you play it like this?" vs. DLR and then launching into a very good impersonation of DLR in full superstar rap mode circa 1986. "Hey baby, boozely boozely bop..." I just wish they had spent more time talking with Steve, he has a ton to say.

Not only did Vai give huge props to EVH (he credited EVH for reinventing rock guitar, said EVH is the greatest and humbly said he did not even try to compete with EVH in the EEAS band -- instead he did the classic VH songs his own way), Vai knows how to treat his fans. Everyone attending the show got a free copy of Steve's new DVD.

If you go to a Vai show, spring the extra bucks for the EVO experience. Sure, you get the usual stuff, picks, t-shirt, soundcheck, etc. But you also get 30 minutes or more sitting in a small group with Steve while he takes questions and talks about anything and everything -- from music and musicians to philosophy and life.

Finally, I know his music leaves some (many) of you cold. [ed. note: Remember this was posted on a VH board] Go see him live and see if that changes your view. The guy is simply jaw-droppingly awesome, insanely precise and perhaps from another planet.

Satch and Vai -- Consistently put out new music, continue to challenge themselves as musicians, will jam with anyone, treat their fans like their life's blood, they give props to everyone they play music with and no one ever says a bad word about them as human beings -- ever.

Kind of makes you go "hmmm."
lydian2000

atlantakat wrote:
Satch and Vai -- Consistently put out new music, continue to challenge themselves as musicians, will jam with anyone, treat their fans like their life's blood, they give props to everyone they play music with and no one ever says a bad word about them as human beings -- ever.

Kind of makes you go "hmmm."
Strongly disagree about Satch, he does put out what he considers "new" music, but in terms of writing and composing he definitely stopped challenging himself as the musician he was or at least the one I enjoyed and who first got me into instrumental guitar, and to this day I fail to see the musical challenge in satch's last four albums(EOC was my last favourite).What bugs me even more is that he must know it and act "as if" which makes his case even worse in my view.

As far as him being very nice and friendly and respectful of fans that's absolutely true.

:peace
Last edited by lydian2000 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
budt

atlantakat wrote:I just wish they had spent more time talking with Steve, he has a ton to say.
That Metal Show is designed a certain way, unfortunately. But Steve delivered, as usual ...
budt

lydian2000 wrote:-- and to this day I fail to see the musical challenge in satch's last four albums(EOC was my last favourite).
Even though it's drifting off the topic, since you brought it up, let's spin it in a more positive light. Out of Satch's later output, what CDs stand out ... anyone? For someone that has the early stuff, what would be worthwhile if one was to buy only one or two more CDs?
cbr1000f

atlantakat wrote:Did not see a post on this, but look for the most recent "That Metal Show" on VH 1 Classic...
http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... 35&t=29521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BigDean
VIP
VIP

If you missed Steve's episode of "That Metal Show", it's re-airing throughout the week on VH1 Classic and you can also check the official VH1 Classic site and Eddie Trunk's site for the entire episode and outtakes.
Sat Inder Singh
Newcomer

That episode was very cool.
The imitational skilss of SV are top of the hill!
Vive le Rush

I enjoyed watching this show. 8) 8) :peace :guitar Steve is SO COOL......I LOVE to hear him talk, and see him SMILE!!!! 8) :D :D :guitar :guitar