Charisma

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Shred-Hed
Newcomer

Charisma

#1 Post by Shred-Hed » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Time Magazine announced today that "No-one wielded a guitar with as much charisma," as Jimi Hendrix.

It is my honest belief that mr. Vai does.

Jeries

Re: Charisma

#2 Post by Jeries » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 am

Shred-Hed wrote:Time Magazine announced today that "No-one wielded a guitar with as much charisma," as Jimi Hendrix.

Jimi Hendrix is a household name...
he is also mysterious because i dont know anyone that knew him personally and few probably do, and if they do they're probably lying.

Steve is amazing but only a household name among guitarist- not the massive collective pop culture of the US-

Big Bad Bill

#3 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:13 am

Shred-Hed wrote:It is my honest belief that mr. Vai does.
I consider myself an objective person and I whole-heartedly agree with you. Hendrix was a blues player and everyone can appreciate the blues, whereas Steve's music requires a little more musical 'intelligence' I suppose. Steve's live shows are the best in the world and I really can't watch other gigs without negative comparisons.

Trinity777

#4 Post by Trinity777 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:53 am

Shred-Hed wrote:Time Magazine announced today that "No-one wielded a guitar with as much charisma," as Jimi Hendrix.

I feel that Steve is the embodiment of Jimmi Hendrix.

Trinity777 8)

boswell

#5 Post by boswell » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:23 am

Charisma is a fascinating topic, the way in which a seemingly ordinary or even talented people can just ooze charisma and charm and be able to lead or persaude so many people to follow them.
Many Dictators have often exhibited the same qualities to gain peoples trust and attain power before showing their tyranical side.

More interesting is how the traits that make a person charismastic and lead others to follow them can often be a huge turn off to many other people who cite that very behaviour as being the reason they don't like the person.

As for Hendrix..... yeah the guy had charm in spades
(sorry shovels BBB) he had that right mix of self effacing shyness and flamboyance, add in a new take on how to play the electric guitar, he was always going to develop a devout following.

Jeries

#6 Post by Jeries » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:40 am

Trinity777 wrote:

I feel that Steve is the embodiment of Jimmi Hendrix.

Trinity777 8)
Jimi Hendrix Plays guitar well
Steve Vai plays guitar well...

I think that's all they have in common. Other than whammy bar dives and a wah pedal i think they aren't anything a like esp with technique, direction, songwriting, overall everything.

If anyone is the second coming/reincarnation of Jimi Hendrix its probably Uli Jon Roth.

Big Bad Bill

#7 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:48 am

boswell wrote:Charisma is a fascinating topic, the way in which a seemingly ordinary or even talented people can just ooze charisma and charm and be able to lead or persaude so many people to follow them.
Many Dictators have often exhibited the same qualities to gain peoples trust and attain power before showing their tyranical side.

More interesting is how the traits that make a person charismastic and lead others to follow them can often be a huge turn off to many other people who cite that very behaviour as being the reason they don't like the person.
Perhaps for a person's 'charisma' to work on another, those at the receiving end have to be receptive to it, even only slightly, and almost want to be influenced by their charm because it suits them. Dictators usually shout loudly about issues that they blame for the woes of their country and if you're a citizen suffering those woes, you're going to fall for them and their message because you don't want to believe those problems are actually caused by you and your fellow citizens! Thus dictators are charismatic to some and awful despots to others.

If, initially, you even slightly liked Steve's music and this his image and then you see him live, running around in flamboyant costumes, wise-cracking at Britney's or Ricky Martin's expense (something we all support and want to do), playing guitar in unimaginable ways, then this becomes part of his spell and he appears 'charismatic'. If on the other hand you've been dragged along to a Vai gig but are really into 'Take That', have never heard or indeed are unreceptive to Steve's music, you're going to think, 'Who the hell is this wanky Laurence Llwellyn Bowen wannabe?'! Thus charisma is a quality of both the 'star' and the 'fan'.

boswell wrote:As for Hendrix..... yeah the guy had charm in spades (sorry shovels BBB) he had that right mix of self effacing shyness and flamboyance, add in a new take on how to play the electric guitar, he was always going to develop a devout following.
I was never receptive to Hendrix's music so I never saw his charisma. To me he was just playing and singing out of tune!

Well there's something I'd never see, parallels being drawn between Steve and dictators! :wink:

boswell

#8 Post by boswell » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:03 am

When it comes to his music Steve is the Dictator! :wink:

notavirtuoso

#9 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:48 am

I think to judge fairly we would have to have seen both of them perform live with our own eyes, not a recording. As good as Steve's DVDs are (and I think they are as good of a representation of his live show as anyone) I know I'm not the only one that feels they pale in comparison to actually being there. Being at one of his shows inspires awe in even the most casual fan. On the Ultra Zone tour I had a spare ticket because a buddy backed out so I took a coworker that had never heard of Vai or any type of guitar oriented instrumental type stuff. He was more of a top 40 listener but went just to have something to do and drink a few beers. He about shit himself when he saw the show. That takes charisma and talent. That being said, without any of us actually seeing Hendrix in person I have to think he had the same effect on people, just in larger numbers. None of us here (that I'm aware of) ever saw him with our own eyes so I think it's impossible to fully appreciate the effect his performance had on an audience.

Big Bad Bill

#10 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:42 am

boswell wrote:When it comes to his music Steve is the Dictator! :wink:
Don't even make jokes about that mate-he'll have to taken away and flogged with Ernie Balls Superslinkys 10s!

Big Bad Bill

#11 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:44 am

notavirtuoso wrote:I think to judge fairly we would have to have seen both of them perform live with our own eyes, not a recording. As good as Steve's DVDs are (and I think they are as good of a representation of his live show as anyone) I know I'm not the only one that feels they pale in comparison to actually being there. Being at one of his shows inspires awe in even the most casual fan. On the Ultra Zone tour I had a spare ticket because a buddy backed out so I took a coworker that had never heard of Vai or any type of guitar oriented instrumental type stuff. He was more of a top 40 listener but went just to have something to do and drink a few beers. He about shit himself when he saw the show. That takes charisma and talent. That being said, without any of us actually seeing Hendrix in person I have to think he had the same effect on people, just in larger numbers. None of us here (that I'm aware of) ever saw him with our own eyes so I think it's impossible to fully appreciate the effect his performance had on an audience.
You're probably correct about comparisons being impossible without witnessing both first hand, but if this is the case then many, many comparisons are just a waste of time and I can't quite believe that.

pauldlr

#12 Post by pauldlr » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:15 am

Shouldn't that be "charAsma" :wink: fabulous piccasso brothers :D

johnbowman

#13 Post by johnbowman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:47 am

notavirtuoso wrote: None of us here (that I'm aware of) ever saw him (Hendrix) with our own eyes so I think it's impossible to fully appreciate the effect his performance had on an audience.

Uh . . . I doth protest . . . I "saw" Jimi at the Hollywood Bowl and the Inglewood Forum (both in LA) back in his day . . . Both shows were fantastic (yes . . . out of tune a bit . . but it's only rock n roll).

I also "saw" (but could not "hear" above the screaming girls . . . THE BEATLES . . . at the Las Vegas Convention Center . . . AND . . . I have a UNUSED complete ticket for that show as well . . .

NO wise cracks about my age . . . please . . .

notavirtuoso

#14 Post by notavirtuoso » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:26 am

johnbowman wrote:
notavirtuoso wrote: None of us here (that I'm aware of) ever saw him (Hendrix) with our own eyes so I think it's impossible to fully appreciate the effect his performance had on an audience.

Uh . . . I doth protest . . . I "saw" Jimi at the Hollywood Bowl and the Inglewood Forum (both in LA) back in his day . . . Both shows were fantastic (yes . . . out of tune a bit . . but it's only rock n roll).

I also "saw" (but could not "hear" above the screaming girls . . . THE BEATLES . . . at the Las Vegas Convention Center . . . AND . . . I have a UNUSED complete ticket for that show as well . . .

NO wise cracks about my age . . . please . . .
That's great! I don't believe I've noticed anyone here saying they had before so please forgive my assumption. And no need to worry about any wise cracks on age, I have more gray than brown these days myself.

johnbowman

#15 Post by johnbowman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Here we go off topic . . .

My hair is BLONDE . . . . not grey, dammit . . . it's BLONDE . . .

It's only grey after it's been cut off and laying on the barber shop floor . . .

JB