Steve Vai´s creative output

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
robmar

I´ve been a Vai fan since the Zappa days.Seen him play with the Zappa band when he was 19.
Is it just me or does anyone else think Steves creative output has diminished somewhat lately?no new stuff coming out.The Metropol Orchestra was the last good thing he has done.
He does these master classes and seems to be recycling his older work but where is the new stuff?Has Steve peaked??
litlgrnman

I don't have any reason to believe he's peaked I just think he has high standards and has just been enjoying life a little. He's involved in a lot of projects that interest him but don't necessarily result in direct output of solo material. He's been producing movies, running a record label, collaborating with other artists, putting on master classes etc. These things take time to oversee and manage. I'd rather he take his time and put out something inspired than just cranking out something to appease the masses. Has he produced his master work? That's something completely subjective that you'll have to wait to decide.
robmar

litlgrnman wrote:I don't have any reason to believe he's peaked I just think he has high standards and has just been enjoying life a little. He's involved in a lot of projects that interest him but don't necessarily result in direct output of solo material. He's been producing movies, running a record label, collaborating with other artists, putting on master classes etc. These things take time to oversee and manage. I'd rather he take his time and put out something inspired than just cranking out something to appease the masses. Has he produced his master work? That's something completely subjective that you'll have to wait to decide.
My favorite Vai stuff was his earlier work and you could hear the Zappa influence in a lot of his songs.Truly original material.

Zappa was producing 2 to 3 albums per year over his career span and most of it high quality stuff so I would say that output is no bar to quality.
Vais Music is what makes Steve Vai Steve Vai if you know what I mean.If no new material comes out then the fans will become disillusioned.
There are a lot of new young players out there who are technically as good if not better than Steve however what sets Mr Vai apart is his compositional skills and attitude.
end of rant
litlgrnman

Zappa was Zappa and Vai is Vai. Don't think it's fair or relevant to compare or score the output of the two. It's fair to want the sort of output that would satisfy you but not really fair to expect it. I'd say wait til Sept. 29th to see the new DVD and see if that tides you over for a while. I tihnk it's fair to say Steve is integrally involved in every detail of his projects so it takes however long it takes til he looks at it and feels like it's complete.

Fans may become disillusioned when there is nothing new, that is, until there IS something new. Then I think they'll be right there to gobble it up. If they like what they hear then great. Ones that don't like it might gravitate in the direction of some different artist.
robmar

Real Illusions was released in 2005 Since then we have had Sound theories(excellent).That´s not a lot.
Jeries

ok
Since 2005 (4 years ago)
1- Released REAL ILLUSIONS album
2- Released a G3 in Tokyo DVD
3- Did a world tour for the real illusions album
4- He composed, orchestrated, rehearsed and performed an hour’s worth of new orchestral material and orchestral versions of his previous songs.
5- Performed several of those orchestral shows
6- Recorded the orchestral music and released it as an album SOUND THEORIES
7- Had the shows mentioned above recorded and he edited and mixed it and released it on DVD
8- Found a new band
9- Rehearsed the new band for 4-6 weeks 6 days a week 8 hours a day
10- Put together an amazing shows worth of material
11- Did a world tour with the orchestral album STRING THEORIES BAND
12- Filmed a show on THAT tour, and mixed and edited the thing himself for release on DVD
13- Did clinics all around the US and all around the world parts of Russia no one else has ever been to
14- Designed and released a new amplifier
15- Designed and released a new pedal
16- Produced a movie
17- Acted in a movie or 2 movies
18- Runs a successful record label
19- HE REMIXED 5 FUCKING ALBUMS OF MATERIAL AND RELEASED THEM without the lead guitar- along with comments for every track.
20- Rehearsed and toured with Zappa plays zappa
21- Performed on a live DVD of Zappa Plays Zappa
22- Recorded a live CD of the ZPZ
23- WON A FUCKING GRAMMY FOR A SONG HE PLAYED ON WITH ZPZ
24- AND FINALLY!!!!!!...
performed on Halo 2's soundtrack, john5's album, meatloaf, spinaltap, devin townsend, and marty friedmans album[/color]

WHAT THE FUCK!?
Steve Vai fucking peaked?
I WISH I DO IN MY ENTIRE CAREER THE SHIT STEVE VAI HAS DONE IN THE LAST 4 YEARS!
FUCK
Big Bad Bill

I wonder if robmar is referring to composing and releasing new music rather than just rehashing older material?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

robmar wrote:Real Illusions was released in 2005 Since then we have had Sound theories(excellent).That´s not a lot.
Like every other Vai fan, I too am jonesing for new material, but it's easy to overlook the work that has happened in the spaces between the Real Illusions' release, Sound Theories/Visual Sound theories release, and the DVD release we are about to have.

Some of these times are estimates, but I'd say they are probably 95% accurate - plus I'm forgetting a lot of other smaller projects including the Jemini video, K'm-Pee-Du-Wee video, the development of the Jemini pedal, the development of the Carvin Legacy II.

This is not a defensive post, but your thread made me sit back and take a quick look at the calendar over the last 4 years - and it surprised me. :)

[edit] Jeries beat me to it while I was writing this, but he included some stuff I didn't and vice versa [/edit]

2005: Real Illusions Tour - 16 weeks (and over a month's rehearsals)
2005: G3'05 Japan - 1 week
2005: Aching Hunger/Sound Theories Performances 2 weeks (including rehearsals but NOT including the massive preparation)
2006: Editing, Mixing and Fixing the Sound Theories performances (2 CDS! on of completely new material) - on and off this took the better part of a year
2006: Editing, mixing and fixing the Sound Theories DVD (many different performances to the CD) - at least 4 months.
2006: Writing and scoring the orchestra track "Oil of Smoke" for the Metrolpole Orchestra (and mixing the recording) - unknown weeks
2006: Zappa Plays Zappa Tour - about 8 weeks (and a week or two of rehearsals)
2006: Russian Master Classes (1 week)
2006: G3 Australia (1 week, plus a week of rehearsals)
2006: UDO Music Festival Japan - 1 week plus rehearsals
2007: Release and Press for Sound Theories CD and DVD.
2007: Assembling a new band - 2 weeks.
2007: Sound Theories Tour - 10 weeks, plus almost 6 weeks of rehearsals with a NEW band.
2007/2008: Zappa Plays Zappa - Australia and Japan - 2 weeks
2008: Work on producing the movie "Crazy" - unknown months on and off
2008: Large Harmony Hut Studio overhaul/upgrade - at least 2 months
2008: Editing the Concert DVD - 4 months plus another 2 months of color correction
2008: Assembling the Naked Tracks CDs - 2 months (at least)
2008: Aseembling fixing and prepping video collection for iTunes (a couple of weeks)
2008: Russian Master Classes - almost 3 weeks (with a lot of preparation beforehand)
2009: Alien Guitar Secrets Classes in US, Italy and Europe - over 4 weeks plus a lot of prep beforehand)
2009: Editing the concert audio and CD audio - 2 Months
2009: Remastering Flex-Able - a month
Aug 2009: Weeks of press for DVD, Blu-ray and CD, including multiple photoshoots.
Sept 2009: DVD, Blu-Ray and CD release
Late 2009: work on new studio album (4 months)

So it's easy to see where 4 years can go in that time... and Sound Theories was a huge undertaking - probably three times the amount of work went into that that it would recording a brand new album from scratch.

Steve is completely hands-on with all projects. Has a small management team, and two support staff, so things take time. But Steve is also involved in a diverse range of things too, so he has to spread himself around a bit.

But.. Steve will soon begin on his next studio album, and that's a project that's been simmering away in his mind for the past few years, and like everything else, it's going to be a good one!

Part of the new website I'll begin working on once the DVD work and Flex-Able is finished is a "Living Diary" which will eventually cover as much info as we can on where Steve was when, and what he was doing.

Mikey :)
vai.com
notavirtuoso

Mikey wrote: [edit] Jeries beat me to it while I was writing this, but he included some stuff I didn't and vice versa [/edit]

2005: Real Illusions Tour - 16 weeks (and over a month's rehearsals)
2005: G3'05 Japan - 1 week
2005: Aching Hunger/Sound Theories Performances 2 weeks (including rehearsals but NOT including the massive preparation)
2006: Editing, Mixing and Fixing the Sound Theories performances (2 CDS! on of completely new material) - on and off this took the better part of a year
2006: Editing, mixing and fixing the Sound Theories DVD (many different performances to the CD) - at least 4 months.
2006: Writing and scoring the orchestra track "Oil of Smoke" for the Metrolpole Orchestra (and mixing the recording) - unknown weeks
2006: Zappa Plays Zappa Tour - about 8 weeks (and a week or two of rehearsals)
2006: Russian Master Classes (1 week)
2006: G3 Australia (1 week, plus a week of rehearsals)
2006: UDO Music Festival Japan - 1 week plus rehearsals
2007: Release and Press for Sound Theories CD and DVD.
2007: Assembling a new band - 2 weeks.
2007: Sound Theories Tour - 10 weeks, plus almost 6 weeks of rehearsals with a NEW band.
2007/2008: Zappa Plays Zappa - Australia and Japan - 2 weeks
2008: Work on producing the movie "Crazy" - unknown months on and off
2008: Large Harmony Hut Studio overhaul/upgrade - at least 2 months
2008: Editing the Concert DVD - 4 months plus another 2 months of color correction
2008: Assembling the Naked Tracks CDs - 2 months (at least)
2008: Aseembling fixing and prepping video collection for iTunes (a couple of weeks)
2008: Russian Master Classes - almost 3 weeks (with a lot of preparation beforehand)
2009: Alien Guitar Secrets Classes in US, Italy and Europe - over 4 weeks plus a lot of prep beforehand)
2009: Editing the concert audio and CD audio - 2 Months
2009: Remastering Flex-Able - a month
Aug 2009: Weeks of press for DVD, Blu-ray and CD, including multiple photoshoots.
Sept 2009: DVD, Blu-Ray and CD release
Late 2009: work on new studio album (4 months)

Mikey :)
vai.com
slacker :lol:
robmar

Big Bad Bill wrote:I wonder if robmar is referring to composing and releasing new music rather than just rehashing older material?

yep thats exactly what I´m referring to.It´s to be admired that Steve is devoting his energies to promote music however

most of this list has fuck all to do with the subject at hand ie new compositions or songs new material etc
Released REAL ILLUSIONS album
2- Released a G3 in Tokyo DVD
3- Did a world tour for the real illusions album
4- He composed, orchestrated, rehearsed and performed an hour’s worth of new orchestral material and orchestral versions of his previous songs.
5- Performed several of those orchestral shows
6- Recorded the orchestral music and released it as an album SOUND THEORIES
7- Had the shows mentioned above recorded and he edited and mixed it and released it on DVD
8- Found a new band
9- Rehearsed the new band for 4-6 weeks 6 days a week 8 hours a day
10- Put together an amazing shows worth of material
11- Did a world tour with the orchestral album STRING THEORIES BAND
12- Filmed a show on THAT tour, and mixed and edited the thing himself for release on DVD
13- Did clinics all around the US and all around the world parts of Russia no one else has ever been to
14- Designed and released a new amplifier
15- Designed and released a new pedal
16- Produced a movie
17- Acted in a movie or 2 movies
18- Runs a successful record label
19- HE REMIXED 5 FUCKING ALBUMS OF MATERIAL AND RELEASED THEM without the lead guitar- along with comments for every track.
20- Rehearsed and toured with Zappa plays zappa
21- Performed on a live DVD of Zappa Plays Zappa
22- Recorded a live CD of the ZPZ
23- WON A FUCKING GRAMMY FOR A SONG HE PLAYED ON WITH ZPZ
24- AND FINALLY!!!!!!...
robmar

when I first heard FlexAble my jaw hit the ground,,here was something different.That was why I liked Zappa also cause, you never knew what his next album would be like every one was different and it was ALWAYS exciting to go out and buy the latest Zappa album he never failed to deliver and entertain.That for me is what music is all about ie entertainment.Steves first albums were like that.A joy and a surprise.I think Real Illusions was one of Steves "least good "CDs
Its just an observation from someone who enjoys musical excellence in whatever form and its not a criticism of Steve,just an observation.
Prezidentman

Ok, in all honesty VERY few people in the world are probably as busy as Steve Vai. The amount of
of things he has going on is terryfying and that has to be respected by everyone...that being said, I have to partially agree with the initial post that for us, hardcore fans, who grew up on Steve's music and got used to having NEW studio material blow us away pretty much every 2 or so years, that trend has SORT OF ended with the 90's.
In other words, I agree with the statement that he is recycling a lot of his work for different projects the last few years which still takes a lot of time to put together, however good it may be, whether G3, Metropole stuff, whatver...now, I don't think anybody really has a right to complain about anything here nor do I think anyone actually is, it's great to have anything and everything coming out from Steve, it's just that since 1999 there has really only been 1 studio album, which, on top of that, was very different from Steve's other albums and may not have fully satistfied the guitar crowd that perhaps loved "ALS", I can relate to this crowd of fans that haven't been, simply put, truly fulfilled by similar (not same) recording in the last decade or so. And perhaps the same crowd would rather get a small EP, of say 4, 5 songs (remember the excitment when Steve asked about ALS II??) than have one more project with different renditions of older material. But this is just my opinion a it's perfectly fine it that's how Steve choses to work nowadays or isn't able to work any differently. This is just how I feel....thanx for reading.
Peace
anuj

robmar wrote: most of this list has fuck all to do with the subject at hand ie new compositions or songs new material etc
Yes, but physics makes it so doing all of the listed things versus focus on new material still need to occupy the same flow time. C'est la vie.

~A
Big Bad Bill

... I won't mention the box set... :wink: Seriously, I'd prefer the Real Illusions trilogy to be completed rather than the box set.
robmar

I´m an amateur musician,,been playing the guitar and making up and arranging tunes strictly as a hobby and for my own amusement for a few years now,,some times the ideas flow and sometimes for extended periods you dry up,,it gets a little depressing and worrying if I cannot come up with something new,,jeez I even have my own homepage with some of the stuff on it(all done at home on a low budget!)I´m wondering maybe if Steve has ran out of something original to produce??There are a lot of people out there trying to imitate Steve some doing it rather well,,it must be a real stress trying to come up with something that keeps you ahead of the crowd.