Steve featured on new Mike Stern album

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
John

Check this out: http://www.myspace.com/mikesternjazz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , http://www.modernguitars.com/lewis/archives/004950.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't believe this is for real. Steve and Mike are my two biggest influences, two favorite musicians, two favorite, players, and never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would hear them play together one day.
Those of you who are not familiar with Mike's music, check him out now! He's just ridiculous. I also know him quite well, he's the coolest guy!
fineweather

wow me also surprised! :o

BTW Mike Stern is now in Japan and just now he is playing guitar at Blue Note! :o Ah I didn't notice it!
I thought he just came to Japan a few months ago...at that time I couldn't make my time to go to the shows and I thought I'd like to go next time...but I didn't think he came to Japan again so soon! :(
cbr1000f

Thanks for the heads up. Nice find! :)
Damir Puh
Newcomer

Great stuff! Thanks for the info.
Seraphim

WOW

Really really great!!! 7:41 of pure guitar abuse :guitar
There are really Big Neighborhood here :guitar :guitar

Well done, thanks for sharing this great information. I apreciated a lot!!!

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
John

Btw I forgot to mention that the actual song is up on Mike's myspace page. It's badass.

fineweather - he'll be back soon enough, he tours a LOT! Definitely go and see him sometime if you get the chance. I used to see him a couple of times a week when I lived in New York, he has a steady gig at the 55 Bar in the West Village - mondays and wednesdays for those of you who live in the area (that place was my second home...lol)

It's also interesting to note that this is the second time you can hear Steve with Dave Weckl on the drums (after The Rumble).
Last edited by John on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbr1000f

John wrote:Btw I forgot to mention that the actual song is up on Mike's myspace page.
I already figured that out by using your link ;-)
Seraphim

...and I'm listening the song again :headbang
Get stocked in my head :headbang

Pity that he don't have plans to play here or Spain...

Good point about Dave Weckl :wink:
Speaking of Stern... I love the work of his wife Leni Stern. Closer To The Light, nice album.

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
John

More here: http://www.headsup.com/ecards/3157/industry.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve also appears on the song Moroccan Roll:

With all of this going on in a single recording, Stern’s primary objective was to capture the energy as live as possible, with few if any overdubs. This was no easy task, as a few of the artists had schedules that prohibited meeting in a central location. Consequently, while Stern was able to record a good part of the album in his hometown of New York City, he had to travel (with rhythm section) to Austin, Texas to record with Eric Johnson, and then to Los Angeles to record with Steve Vai and Dave Weckl. In the end, the album’s eleven tracks came together in a neighborhood that spans two coasts with a stop in the Lone Star State.
(...)
Big Neighborhood opens with the churning, rocked-up title track, in which Stern and Vai face off and create a thundering wall of distorted guitar riffs. “This tune obviously comes out of a Jimi Hendrix inspiration,” says Stern. “Steve rocks it with so much attitude. Along with the technique, he also has a lot of humor in his playing, which I love.” Vai reappears several tracks later in the Middle-Eastern flavored “Moroccan Roll,” a song inspired by the exotic music of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, the Pakistani vocalist who appeared on a number of recordings by Peter Gabriel, Eddie Vedder and other rock and pop artists of the West in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

I can't express how happy I am right now! :guitar
fineweather

John wrote:fineweather - he'll be back soon enough, he tours a LOT! Definitely go and see him sometime if you get the chance.
Hi John,
Indeed, I believe he'll come to Japan again soon. Surely I'll go next time. :wink: Glad to hear you feel happy. It's so sweet that EJ plays with, too. Thanks for this cool info!
Samuele

I have to tell you, I kind of sensed that something like that would come up.

Back in April, at the first AGS masterclass here in Italy, Steve mentioned he had just done a session with Mike.

Because there was a guy that asked him his thoughts on the use of technology in making music, he said that Mike is quite the opposite of your typical tech buff (he doesn't even have a cellphone), but he is extraordinarily talented all the same.

The songs sound great! I'd say I'm a bit drawn to Moroccan Roll, I think that song will give folks an idea of what Steve is able to do dynamically with the guitar.

Thanks for posting this. :)
cbr1000f

Definitely an album that I will buy!!! :)
John

Samuele wrote: Because there was a guy that asked him his thoughts on the use of technology in making music, he said that Mike is quite the opposite of your typical tech buff (he doesn't even have a cellphone), but he is extraordinarily talented all the same.
Yeah it's really funny, he has an old busted up landline, and there are phone numbers written all over his wall in his practice room, he doesn't have a computer...good stuff. He doesn't care about fancy gear, he likes to keep things really straight ahead and simple, but he could make a tennis racket sound killer.
Polymnie

It's really great, thank you John for this news.
It would be tremendous to see them playing together.
Mike Stern has no cell phone! Phew, I feel less alone! :wink:
prman

Well, my crystalball didn`t tell that this would happen! Mike Stern + Steve Vai?!?!? BUT, Steve did collaborate with Chick Corea and Al Di Meola already, so...

This album sounds like just too much fun! Can hardly wait for it! Been fan of Mike for years and seen him couple of times live, taught his songs for students so you can guess I´m excited. :guitar

What I`d like to hear is how this track was done? Were the guys in the studio in the same time or was it like I`d expect that Mike posted the backing tracks to Steve and said: " You can do this in your studio but play like this here and in these bars you can do whatever you like", and afterwards Mike improvised his stuff off what Steve had played. Any light on this subject, Mikey & Steve?