Alien Guitar Secrets Masterclass FAQ

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Dimi333
Newcomer

Hi,

the rules say we may not bring cameras into the venue. The agenda says photos can be made with Steve during Meet & Greet. How can they be made ? Is there a photograph service ? Will everyone get a chance to get a photo ?

I am talking specifically about the upcoming event in Aarburg, Switzerland on 23.06.09 by the way.

thanx, dimi
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Dimi333 wrote:Hi,

the rules say we may not bring cameras into the venue. The agenda says photos can be made with Steve during Meet & Greet. How can they be made ? Is there a photograph service ? Will everyone get a chance to get a photo ?

I am talking specifically about the upcoming event in Aarburg, Switzerland on 23.06.09 by the way.

thanx, dimi
Photos are not allowed at all during the master class itself. After the class, photos with Steve will be allowed with your personal camera.

Generally cameras are checked at the door and you get them back once the meet and greet takes place.

Mikey
vai.com
Iceman24
Newcomer

So, I already wrote an email about this, but I will ask you here again.

I just bought myself a ticket for the masterclass in Aarburg on the 23rd of June. I bought it with my dad's VISA though, since I do not own my own creditcard. Therefore though, his name is now on the ticket instead of mine. Is there any chance I still can attend the masterclass without having to buy another ticket?

Thanks.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Iceman24 wrote:So, I already wrote an email about this, but I will ask you here again.

I just bought myself a ticket for the masterclass in Aarburg on the 23rd of June. I bought it with my dad's VISA though, since I do not own my own creditcard. Therefore though, his name is now on the ticket instead of mine. Is there any chance I still can attend the masterclass without having to buy another ticket?

Thanks.
You shouldn't have any problems, but we are not handling ticket sales for this event, so perhaps it would be best to contact the venue ahead of time and let them know.

It won't be necessary to buy another ticket.

Mikey :)
vai.com
Johnny Jam

Mikey wrote: If it (a DVD of a masterclass) were to be released, it probably wouldn't appear until Steve has toured the masterclass.
Hi Mikey!
Are there any news about a future DVD release of the masterclass-tour? Will it be possible, for people who can't attend the masterclass-tour this year, to get more detailed information about it (e.g. transriptions or extensive reviews which could be published in magazines like Steve's 10 and 30 hour workout...)?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Johnny Jam wrote:
Mikey wrote: If it (a DVD of a masterclass) were to be released, it probably wouldn't appear until Steve has toured the masterclass.
Hi Mikey!
Are there any news about a future DVD release of the masterclass-tour? Will it be possible, for people who can't attend the masterclass-tour this year, to get more detailed information about it (e.g. transriptions or extensive reviews which could be published in magazines like Steve's 10 and 30 hour workout...)?
Once the master classes are done, Steve will go into the studio to focus on his next solo album, with a world tour to follow. There has been a bit of talk about how a video version of the master class might be done, but I would say it's a while off.

vai.com
Iceman24
Newcomer

Mikey wrote:
Iceman24 wrote:So, I already wrote an email about this, but I will ask you here again.

Thanks.
You shouldn't have any problems, but we are not handling ticket sales for this event, so perhaps it would be best to contact the venue ahead of time and let them know.

It won't be necessary to buy another ticket.

vai.com
Thank you. I contacted the guys at the Moonwalker. They said it's no problem. I just wanted to make sure that I can see Vai. :wink:
mrcreosote
Newcomer

mrcreosote wrote:I was just wondering if you can tell us what track people jam over at the end?
I know, I know, quoting myself is awful...! :oops:

But, I'm not the world's greatest guitarist by any means and I'd love (if chosen) to be able to get up on stage and not make an utter idiot of myself. Therefore, any information on how the jam sessions works would be hugely appreciated!!!

Is it a jam over a backing track or just a guitar only jam? If a backing track, is this one of Steve's pieces? Do you get any choice?

So many questions...any answers appreciated!!!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

mrcreosote wrote:
mrcreosote wrote:I was just wondering if you can tell us what track people jam over at the end?
I know, I know, quoting myself is awful...! :oops:

But, I'm not the world's greatest guitarist by any means and I'd love (if chosen) to be able to get up on stage and not make an utter idiot of myself. Therefore, any information on how the jam sessions works would be hugely appreciated!!!

Is it a jam over a backing track or just a guitar only jam? If a backing track, is this one of Steve's pieces? Do you get any choice?

So many questions...any answers appreciated!!!
You jam with Steve over a backing track. It's a rolling jam, so each person has an opportunity to play with Steve for a couple of minutes before leaving the stage while the next player comes up.

Usually the backing track is a rolling loop or something like "The Crying Machine" or "The Animal". It might be different at your particular master class, but it will be a fairly straightforward Vai track.

vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

For folks asking about Naked Tracks: The Naked Tracks set for these European master classes is not part of the ticket price, but the set will be available for purchase at the Master Class.

When we present the master class, things are a little different than when they are presented by a different organizations (in the case of Europe, Ibanez.)

vai.com
T bird

Hello, I just have something to say about Steve's masterclass to Isarel. I'm worried about it and I don't really like the idea of Mr. Vai going there. I'm sure my opinion really does not matter to anyone but I felt the need to express my feelings.I get a sick feeling in the pits of my being and I feel very strongly about it. I actually get physically weak and a feeling of nausea. I understand what's going on and being shown in the media but I won't appologise for how I feel. I don't intend to offend. I intend to insure the safety to my beloved hero, like it or not. Thank you.
Sincerely
T.
Amir b
Newcomer

T bird wrote:Hello, I just have something to say about Steve's masterclass to Isarel. I'm worried about it and I don't really like the idea of Mr. Vai going there. I'm sure my opinion really does not matter to anyone but I felt the need to express my feelings.I get a sick feeling in the pits of my being and I feel very strongly about it. I actually get physically weak and a feeling of nausea. I understand what's going on and being shown in the media but I won't appologise for how I feel. I don't intend to offend. I intend to insure the safety to my beloved hero, like it or not. Thank you.
Sincerely
T.

Hello ,

Your post is very offending and shows very deep ignorance and prejudice about Israel and life in Israel.
Steve Vai is my Hero not less than yours , and I as an Israeli also deserve to see Steve live and not just on Cd's & DVD's

Regarding Steve's Safety you can be sure that the highest safety measures in the world are taken in Israel.
So Steve's safety here it higher than anywhere in the world and you can calm down .

I want to thank Steve for his willing to visit in Israel and I'm glad that Steve does not have the prejudice and ignorance as you.

Amir B
Holon
Israel
Last edited by Amir b on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amir b
Newcomer

Hello Mikey ,

As I understand a master class should be something small and intimate and the way that I imagine it is a group of students sitting around the Master.

I don't know how many people are usually attending Steve's classes,
but as I know very well the Venue that this masterclass will take place in Israel it can not be in any way intimate .

the venue is one of the largest concert halls in Israel !
it contains about 2800 seats !! and as far as I know all tickets are sold out !
see venue site here : http://www.hatarbut.co.il/English/hall.htm

So I'm worried if such a Master Class can take place in such large venue .

Maybe I'm wrong and 2800 seats is not considered as a large venue and maybe it is something regular do the master class in such venues or even larger ...

but if this is the case I absolutely don't understand (I read carefully the faq ) how all the Guitar Cases will be put in the corner of the room ? or how personal cameras will be collected and after the class will be returned to take pictures with Steve ? it is simply impossible !

Anyhow I will not miss this once in lifetime opportunity to see Steve and no mater what are the conditions I will be there.

See you on the 30th of June in Tel-Aviv

Amir
Holon Israel
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Amir b wrote:Hello Mikey ,

As I understand a master class should be something small and intimate and the way that I imagine it is a group of students sitting around the Master.

I don't know how many people are usually attending Steve's classes,
but as I know very well the Venue that this masterclass will take place in Israel it can not be in any way intimate .

the venue is one of the largest concert halls in Israel !
it contains about 2800 seats !! and as far as I know all tickets are sold out !
see venue site here : http://www.hatarbut.co.il/English/hall.htm

So I'm worried if such a Master Class can take place in such large venue .

Maybe I'm wrong and 2800 seats is not considered as a large venue and maybe it is something regular do the master class in such venues or even larger ...

but if this is the case I absolutely don't understand (I read carefully the faq ) how all the Guitar Cases will be put in the corner of the room ? or how personal cameras will be collected and after the class will be returned to take pictures with Steve ? it is simply impossible !

Anyhow I will not miss this once in lifetime opportunity to see Steve and no mater what are the conditions I will be there.

See you on the 30th of June in Tel-Aviv

Amir
Holon Israel
The Alien Guitar Secrets FAQ generally applies to all masterclasses, but for special classes like the one in Israel, so things do not apply - such as guitars being put in the corner, etc.

We are not organizing the Israel class - a promoter is.

best regards,

Mikey
vai.com
Amir b
Newcomer

The Alien Guitar Secrets FAQ generally applies to all masterclasses, but for special classes like the one in Israel, so things do not apply - such as guitars being put in the corner, etc.

We are not organizing the Israel class - a promoter is.

best regards,

Mikey
vai.com
Hello ,
Thank you for your quick prompt .

So it is obvious that the class in Israel is something special and not all the general Alien Guitar Secrets FAQ and policies can be applied in this case .

Is it possible that also the general outline of the masterclass in Israel is going to be changed and being adopted for such a large audience and maybe it will become more than a "raw intimate" performance and less than a masterclass?
And maybe this is the reason that everyone in Israel is talking about this event in Israel as a concert rather than a class ?

Is it really possible to do the Alien Guitar Secrets masterclass as it was planned in it's original form in a concert hall of 2800 seats (despite the clarification that was made ) ?

thanks,
Amir