Things you wish you hadn't said to Steve?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
boswell

After reading this old thread:

http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1 ... x+religion

is there anything you wish you hadn't said to Steve?
Svelt Pen

Me : "Hi Steve! I've got this pick for you."

Steve: "Do you want me to sign it?"

Me: "No it's for you. It's the Pick of Destiny."

:roll: :lol:
RAI

"Dude, that thing is HUGE!"
Kilar

Those 'Yo momma' jokes were a bit crude, but you know :lol:
fyrie

I regret pretty much everything I said to Steve because it came out all wrong. I was completely starstruck.
Kamenrider Ryuuki

yeah... I remember.

"so do you mean Passion And Warfare was all the way trying to fit into that pop thingy since you had been in a glam rock band during that time? with all the trying very hard to get into the charts and all???"

but anyway I am not sure whether you had answered my question sir, you kind of leaving me hanging there...but who gives a f***?

as long as I can listen to the music...that's it.
boswell

I wish I'd chatted more to Steve when I met him, I found it too intriguing "people watching" watching others behaviour.
Must be cool for Steve to watch us fidgeting, stuck for words making complete arses of ourselves :D
Mike_Siravo

actually i think my meeting with steve wasn't as embarassing as it could have been. i met him at evo during the sound theories tour and then again after the show because i won the digipack contest. one thing i do regret is when he was signing my stuff i handed him a CD of my own songs and tried to explain that "i know you probably don't listen to fans' music, but i'd like to give you this CD of mine anyway." i spent days working on recording for the love of god and put a few original songs on the CD. but when i said that, there my dad was saying "i promise you won't regret it steve! it's excellent music!" thinking that it would help give that extra boost to get steve to actually listen. out of all the confusion of two people talking at once, steve was like "..what? oh yeah yeah ok sure." haha i was like ....ehhhhh...... hahaha. oh well it probably would've gotten thrown away anyway.

then as i was leaving the room i said "oh i never got a chance to shake your hand" i shook his hand and paused for a moment and said ".......your fingers are enormous" Hahahahahhaha luckily he didn't find it too weird and responded with "the better to peel bananas with."

p.s. it might be a good thing that he didn't listen to that CD because most of the music on there was bad compared to now. so i guess it was kind of a blessing hahaha

-Mike Siravo
"The Conductor" - the nickname steve gave me :)

www.myspace.com/mikesiravomusic
*ahem* hint *ahem*
boswell

Mate..... you would have regretted it more not stuffing your CD in his hand, you would have wondered "what if" for a long time after. 8)
Mike_Siravo

yeah you're probably right haha

-Mike Siravo

www.myspace.com/mikesiravomusic
Zongadude

I always kind of regret being so much in Steve's hair everytime I greet him after a show, because the man looks so exhausted. He puts so much energy into the performance, and then I'm here asking for more from him: questions, remarks, and everything.... He's a really kind person and I've never seen him putting down a fan. He always answers and responds to everyone without showing any trace of "fed-up-ness" (you know what I mean...). But I'm sure he would enjoy a bit less of "fanitude" every now and then.

So I'm working on it: Each time I restrain a bit more, and try to get directly to the point of what I want to say to him. :)
Ekim

He seemed pretty beat after the Chicago show last fall.

Most other times, he seems more "up". The two times before that show when I met him, he thanked ME for being so into his show (I was in the front row both times).

I've also seen him endure stupid drunken morons with far more grace than I would bother to muster.
Svelt Pen

I saw a coked up drunk guy on sitting in the front row get up and put a wad of cash on the stage after Steve came out and started introducing the band. The guy then started doing the whole "I'm not worthy" thing, bowing down and waving his hands, and Steve just laughed and said "please take your money back. I really don't need it..." I couldn't believe Steve was so graceful and classy with this guy...He was close enough to kick the guy in the head, which is what I likely would have done... :lol:
Big Bad Bill

Zongadude wrote:I always kind of regret being so much in Steve's hair everytime I greet him after a show, because the man looks so exhausted. He puts so much energy into the performance, and then I'm here asking for more from him: questions, remarks, and everything.... He's a really kind person and I've never seen him putting down a fan. He always answers and responds to everyone without showing any trace of "fed-up-ness" (you know what I mean...). But I'm sure he would enjoy a bit less of "fanitude" every now and then.

So I'm working on it: Each time I restrain a bit more, and try to get directly to the point of what I want to say to him. :)
I felt the same when I spent the day with Pete Townsend and his partner (and son) a few years ago. However, I was so restrained that I didn't even get a photo of myself with him! So don't be too restrained Zongadude.
Zongadude

Big Bad Bill wrote:[So don't be too restrained Zongadude.
Sure, but I've already got my own photograph with Steve, so I guess I won't have to bother him with that anymore.

Man, you don't have a picture of you next to Pete, but you have the memory of having spent a whole day with him ! I have neither. Consider yourself lucky :)

Back to Steve. I think that one day I'll manage to restrain so much that I won't speak to him at all after a show. All I will have to do is briefly look into his eyes, thinking very hard the words "Thank you", and he will send me back telepathically a plethora of cascading lydian guitar notes, and no-one around us will know about it, but I will. 8)