Original printed 1984 Mini Lessons??

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
anth377
Newcomer

Mikey wrote:I'm going to look at making them free PDF downloads - including all the original artwork. They shouldn't be sold on Ebay...

Another thing to add to my ever-growing list...

Mikey :)
vai.com
Mikey,
No disrespect but why shouldn't they be sold on ebay? Back in 1985 people paid $$ to have them sent to their home. Along your logic..maybe all the people who bought them then should get a refund now?
(I really dont think that, but just trying to make a point)
pataman

anth377 wrote:
lydian2000 wrote:hint: web pages can be printed...

:peace
You have a point but there something to be said about having the original. I can print a picture of the mona lisa online, but owning the original may feel more prestigious

For anybody interested in this discussion check out a very cool essay by Walter Benjamin called The Work of Art in The Age of Mechanical Reproduction. this "prestige" you refer to would be tied into Benjamin's concept of "aura" which he unfortunately believes is rightly disappearing.

Also check out The Origin Of The Work Of Art by Heidegger. Both really good reads!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

pataman wrote:
anth377 wrote:
lydian2000 wrote:hint: web pages can be printed...

:peace
You have a point but there something to be said about having the original. I can print a picture of the mona lisa online, but owning the original may feel more prestigious

For anybody interested in this discussion check out a very cool essay by Walter Benjamin called The Work of Art in The Age of Mechanical Reproduction. this "prestige" you refer to would be tied into Benjamin's concept of "aura" which he unfortunately believes is rightly disappearing.

Also check out The Origin Of The Work Of Art by Heidegger. Both really good reads!
I never thought I'd live to see the day when Walter Benjamian is cited here on the Vai forum.

You guys are awesome. And yes - read that essay. It's very timely.

vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

anth377 wrote:
Mikey wrote:I'm going to look at making them free PDF downloads - including all the original artwork. They shouldn't be sold on Ebay...

Another thing to add to my ever-growing list...

vai.com
Mikey,
No disrespect but why shouldn't they be sold on ebay? Back in 1985 people paid $$ to have them sent to their home. Along your logic..maybe all the people who bought them then should get a refund now?
(I really dont think that, but just trying to make a point)
No disrespect taken, but that's not my logic.

I think most people have better things to do than think about what they spent a couple of bucks on in 1985. For the small price they paid, they enjoyed them for at least the last 20 years.

My point is that Steve created these lessons so he could distribute them in a manner he sees fit. Not for someone else to photocopy them and profit from them on Ebay.

The best way to prevent that is to make them freely available from the source.

Mikey
vai.com
RAI

Mikey wrote: My point is that Steve created these lessons so he could distribute them in a manner he sees fit. Not for someone else to photocopy them and profit from them on Ebay.

Mikey
vai.com
That I can agree with.
If you have them, either sell the original or give away copies.
Don't sell copies.
Not cool...
Zongadude

Mikey wrote:
The best way to prevent that is to make them freely available from the source.
I totally agree.

This post is here just to mention that I'm very interested in those legal/official PDFs, since I never saw the original printed '84 lessons. I have the genuine Guitar Player issues with the "Martian Love Secrets" series, but not those mini-lessons.

So Mikey if there's any way for you to find the time to make them available, don't hesitate... and thanks.
chrose1201

I bought the originals back in 1989 from LWH, I wouldn't dream of selling them. Especially since Steve posts the info on his website , albeit without the swell pictures! :)
But that means that I know have Steve's DNA available and I don't need to buy a Jem to get it!!! C'mon science! Daddy needs some new fingers!!
litlgrnman

chrose1201 wrote:I bought the originals back in 1989 from LWH, I wouldn't dream of selling them. Especially since Steve posts the info on his website , albeit without the swell pictures! :)
But that means that I know have Steve's DNA available and I don't need to buy a Jem to get it!!! C'mon science! Daddy needs some new fingers!!
If you don't mind me asking, what did the originals look like? I bough some off of ebay 10 (or more) years ago and they looked like the old school "ditto" copies in purple ink from WAY back in the day.

I assume mine are the bootlegged version Mikey was looking to exterminate by making the pdfs available.
chrose1201

RAI wrote:Of course the originals were just copies.
Steve was doing it all by himself out of his house in Sylmar.
No managers, publicists, agents, stylists, or personal assistants.
Lo-tech, old-school style......
Sooo.... I have some of Steve's DNA with which I can make a clone of my own? :roll: :guitar :headbang