Has Steve ever come close to quitting guitar?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Svelt Pen

Just wondering if Steve has ever had a spell of being uninspired by the guitar, much like Eric Johnson did when he revealed he almost gave it up for awhile in an interview, but was re-inspired by.....Satriani? (Not sure who it was)
jemgirl

no...i dont think so....steve vai will never give up.
thats why he is so good!!
llamahead

give up!?!?!!?! :lol: that's funny

from what i've heard he had a hard time putting the instrument down when he was younger :lol:
Stephen Brown

Everyone question's their direction on the instrument at some stage. Then they realize that they are wasting time & carry on playing. :P

I mean...It's a addiction, playing.
Azrael

FRETPICK wrote:Everyone question's their direction on the instrument at some stage. Then they realize that they are wasting time & carry on playing. :P

I mean...It's a addiction, playing.
I think every player in the history of the instrument has gotten discouraged at some point. I try to stay away from watching other players on Youtube. It kind of forces me to play the comparing game. It's not a good road to go down. There will always be people that can eradicate you at something in guitar, or anything for that matter. Mark your success by how far you've come, not by how good you are lined up against other players.
Jeries

i'm absolutly fed up with the state of the music industry today...its awful
the biz side of music today fucking, sucks.
Azrael

Jeries wrote:i'm absolutly fed up with the state of the music industry today...its awful
the biz side of music today fucking, sucks.
Somewhat unrelated, but I agree completely. Business has defined what is "radio-friendly" and left the other 99.9% of music out of the loop. People wonder why we have about a zillion pop band clones, but is it that hard to grasp? That's the only kind of band that radio, MTV, and the record companies can sell to the masses. That's one of the reasons why I've leaned more towards the harder music that's been branded unplayable on radio right now. It's cool when bands like Norma Jean do tours like they did with the sole intent of bringing attention to this issue in the music business.

What's the most important thing when trying to market a band? It's not the music. That's actually a pretty low priority. It's the image. How many of our pop bands are nothing but a bunch of decent looking guys with a built up image? Their music skills aren't terribly impressive, and it's not like they're doing anything that's never been seen a couple thousand times before. Musicianship is rather low on the to-do list of major record companies right now. Making money is the all time #1.

At this point, I feel for the artists. What's it like to be told "That's a very nice line right there, but that's not going to sell cds. Lets just go from the tried and true Root-minor third-fourth progression."? (that would be Smoke On the Water, Iron Man, etc.). I wouldn't be able to stand having somebody turn something true into some generic piece of pop rock that sounds like the single the week before it, but gets money anyways on the account of 12 year old girls with disposable income.

What's especially bad is how this affects artists like Steve AND Satch. They both are incredible musicians, and I don't think anybody I've ever met WOULDN'T enjoy their music. However, they get very little mainstream radio play because they're not what's "in". There are no pubescent boys singing about girls, and it's not about the image. The music is deep, but very accessible. That's a rare thing in music. In this case it's radio friendly music that doesn't even get the oppertunity of being pigeonholed as radio-friendly.
Samuele

From Steve's Journal:
Date: 1973
Band: Circus
Where: Long Island, NY (Carle Place High School)

This was the first real gig I ever played in my life. I used to have a real problem with nerves. I would get so nervous before a gig that I could usually be found backstage somewhere throwing up. Being the first gig, I was new to the terror of stage fright and for the whole week before this gig I was so stressed out that I'd periodically pass out from nervous exhaustion. Finally on the day of this gig, I decided that this shit wasn't for me and after this gig I'm quitting the band and quitting the guitar. I couldn't bear to get on that stage for some reason. I remember when we were doing the soundcheck, my wah-wah broke and I lost my signal. I knelt down over the wah-wah and just started hitting it. I remember looking up and the room just seemed surrealistic. Everybody looked like these aliens building the equivalent of a giant ant farm. I heard myself saying the words "help me...help me" over and over. Did you ever see the original version of the movie "The Fly" with Vincent Price? At the end of the movie there's this fly with the head and arm of a man and it's stuck in a spider web. It's panicking and screaming in the munchkin-like voice "help me! help me!". That's what I sounded like to myself as I sat there in my delusionary panic. I guess from there I went on auto-pilot to finally get onstage and start the show. The funniest thing happened when I hit the first chord of the first song. I felt like I was reborn. All the nervousness went away and was replaced with this powerful feeling of calm and control. As the show progressed I metamorphosized into a different person. All the bad self esteem and insecurity melted away and was replaced by confidence and conviction. I was not a greaser, a jock, or any other label kids put on you in school. I was Steve Vai and I was playing my guitar and it didn't matter if I was cute, ugly, cool, liked or disliked. That damn guitar and the feeling of being on the stage changed my entire view of who I was, and what the world meant to me. I was 13 years old and discovered there was no turning back. This is what I wanted to do, had to do, and was destined to do in this particular life. It was very nice.
To the moderators:
As Steve's journals are currently down for maintenance, please edit my post if you think it unfair to Steve, ok? :)
pjaydee

I think we all get a lil dejected from time to time..especially when learning. However a genuine passion and love for the instrument always gets me through....inspiration from Steve and other guitarists is never far away.
Johnny Jam

Hallo! I recently found an interesting interview with Steve which goes a little bit with this topic. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqEtv4rD_o&fmt=18

To the moderators:
If it wasn't alright to post this link, please delete my post.
prman

Samuele wrote:From Steve's Journal:
Date: 1973
Band: Circus
Where: Long Island, NY (Carle Place High School)

This was the first real gig I ever played in my life. I used to have a real problem with nerves. I would get so nervous before a gig that I could usually be found backstage somewhere throwing up. Being the first gig, I was new to the terror of stage fright and for the whole week before this gig I was so stressed out that I'd periodically pass out from nervous exhaustion. Finally on the day of this gig, I decided that this shit wasn't for me and after this gig I'm quitting the band and quitting the guitar. I couldn't bear to get on that stage for some reason. I remember when we were doing the soundcheck, my wah-wah broke and I lost my signal. I knelt down over the wah-wah and just started hitting it. I remember looking up and the room just seemed surrealistic. Everybody looked like these aliens building the equivalent of a giant ant farm. I heard myself saying the words "help me...help me" over and over. Did you ever see the original version of the movie "The Fly" with Vincent Price? At the end of the movie there's this fly with the head and arm of a man and it's stuck in a spider web. It's panicking and screaming in the munchkin-like voice "help me! help me!". That's what I sounded like to myself as I sat there in my delusionary panic. I guess from there I went on auto-pilot to finally get onstage and start the show. The funniest thing happened when I hit the first chord of the first song. I felt like I was reborn. All the nervousness went away and was replaced with this powerful feeling of calm and control. As the show progressed I metamorphosized into a different person. All the bad self esteem and insecurity melted away and was replaced by confidence and conviction. I was not a greaser, a jock, or any other label kids put on you in school. I was Steve Vai and I was playing my guitar and it didn't matter if I was cute, ugly, cool, liked or disliked. That damn guitar and the feeling of being on the stage changed my entire view of who I was, and what the world meant to me. I was 13 years old and discovered there was no turning back. This is what I wanted to do, had to do, and was destined to do in this particular life. It was very nice.
To the moderators:
As Steve's journals are currently down for maintenance, please edit my post if you think it unfair to Steve, ok? :)
I highly doubt that those were the actual words that Steve wrote in his supposed journal after that gig. They sound very much like words of encouragement to his fans years later... But hey, what do I know!
calos

Johnny Jam wrote:Hallo! I recently found an interesting interview with Steve which goes a little bit with this topic. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JqEtv4rD_o&fmt=18

To the moderators:
If it wasn't alright to post this link, please delete my post.
Steve is a man of profound thought and nature.
It's wonderful to hear him speak about these things like he does in that interview.

peace
cal