Next: ALS on steroids vs RI2 vs Other

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Next album: ALS Steroids vs RI2 vs Other

ALS on steroids (guitar oriented)
14%
14%
14%
14%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
Other (perhaps orchestral)
3%
3%
3%
3%

Total votes: 156

hush

#31 Post by hush » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 pm

I'm a bit surprised by the results!

From what I read, I was sure RI2 would be first with about the same spread in percentage.

But we all agree that we'll be happy with whereever Steve wants to take is music next and that no one is expecting a repeat of any album.

Big Bad Bill

#32 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 am

hush wrote:But we all agree that we'll be happy with whereever Steve wants to take is music next and that no one is expecting a repeat of any album.
Hmmmm....well.....I'd be in favour of avoiding another orchestra project.....but maybe that's just me.

Splish

#33 Post by Splish » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:56 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
hush wrote:But we all agree that we'll be happy with whereever Steve wants to take is music next and that no one is expecting a repeat of any album.
Hmmmm....well.....I'd be in favour of avoiding another orchestra project.....but maybe that's just me.
Really? I wouldn't have choosen it to be another Orchestral release, but I'd be more than happy with one.

Big Bad Bill

#34 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Yeah, I have to say I'm not overly keen on the 'Sound Theories album. I love classical music, but dislike 20th Century style atonal music which disc 2 certainly tends toward. As for disc 1, well, why gild the lily? The music was perfect as it was and I hate rock drums being played with an orchestra-its like underscoring the beat far too obviously-we can hear the pulse, don't labour the point! The Sound Theories DVD, however, I did enjoy-I guess adding the visuals fills in an extra dimension for me.

Yngwie's Concerto Suite on the other hand, was superb, in my opinion, possibly, in part, because there were no drums.

I really hope Steve brings out some more of his usual sublime, multilayered music next time

Big Bad Bill

#35 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:38 am

Having said all of this, I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is writing, performing and recording an album or any sort. My only analogous experience is researching for and writing papers etc and the process of trying to be creative and then trying to represent them in the written form, waiting for ones peers to rip it to shreds is just tortuous. I don't envy what Steve puts himself through for his art, but what he does finally produce is always different, innovative and more often than not, mesmerizingly enchanting. His hard work is always appreciated.

Splish

#36 Post by Splish » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:32 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Having said all of this, I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is writing, performing and recording an album or any sort. My only analogous experience is researching for and writing papers etc and the process of trying to be creative and then trying to represent them in the written form, waiting for ones peers to rip it to shreds is just tortuous. I don't envy what Steve puts himself through for his art, but what he does finally produce is always different, innovative and more often than not, mesmerizingly enchanting. His hard work is always appreciated.
Hear, hear! :wink:

And I can say what your saying about the Sound Theories CD.. I do think that the drums do add to the pieces, but that's simply a difference of opinion. I guess we can all stick with the consesus that we'll all probably like what Steve releases next...

Unless of course it's...rap... :shock: :lol:

laficojr

#37 Post by laficojr » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:05 am

My Vote is for the RI2, I mean, of course another superb album like ALS would be awesome. But still, I really want to know what happens to Pamposh in the history, Its a very envolving concept.

But hey, Anything new would be awesome! 8)

acoates

#38 Post by acoates » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:47 pm

Fire Strings dammit

Kilar

#39 Post by Kilar » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:16 pm

ALS type album is my preference. although I thought the idea of that was to get it done nice and quickly to tie us over till RI:R2...
I would love if Steve just suddenly said, oh yeah guys, heres a new album!
Boom!

Big Bad Bill

#40 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:40 am

Kilar wrote:ALS type album is my preference. although I thought the idea of that was to get it done nice and quickly to tie us over till RI:R2...
I don't think Steve can do anything quickly due to his perfectionist personality.

boswell

#41 Post by boswell » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:26 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Having said all of this, I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is writing, performing and recording an album or any sort.
Lets start recording and find out.

hush

#42 Post by hush » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Well, this topic is officially dead.

Thanks to all who responded. :)

RM

#43 Post by RM » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:32 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Yeah, I have to say I'm not overly keen on the 'Sound Theories album. I love classical music, but dislike 20th Century style atonal music which disc 2 certainly tends toward. As for disc 1, well, why gild the lily? The music was perfect as it was and I hate rock drums being played with an orchestra-its like underscoring the beat far too obviously-we can hear the pulse, don't labour the point! The Sound Theories DVD, however, I did enjoy-I guess adding the visuals fills in an extra dimension for me.

Yngwie's Concerto Suite on the other hand, was superb, in my opinion, possibly, in part, because there were no drums.

I really hope Steve brings out some more of his usual sublime, multilayered music next time
Bill, have you tried the latest Mike Oldfield album "Music of the Spheres"? Its his first leap into the world of purely orchestral music, and its beautiful. He had input from Karl Jenkins, and it really is great. Oldfield has been ripping himself off for years, but this is the freshest thing he has released for a long long time.