Next: ALS on steroids vs RI2 vs Other

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.

Next album: ALS Steroids vs RI2 vs Other

ALS on steroids (guitar oriented)
14%
14%
14%
14%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
RI2 (concept oriented)
8%
Other (perhaps orchestral)
3%
3%
3%
3%

Total votes: 156
John

Whatever Steve wants to do is fine by me. I'm more partial to the dense stuff, RI is my favorite album of all time and I can't wait for the next installments, but he always delivers his best work when he does what he really feels like doing, so I'm happy either way.
EyE

Same here John
smiffy

I don't think Steve would ever make a record that is "just" guitarorientated. The original ALS was made with a traditional rock line-up and with the guitar in front, but to me it still was way more than just a guitaralbum. Steve's playing and compositional skills are so different than anybody else's and his music always sticks out as special, to me anyhow.

RI has some great tunes on it, but the album itself is not among my favorite Steve Vai records. I've never really undeerstood the true meaning of the concept behind RI anyhow - so to me the vote goes for an ALS type of record.
Big Bad Bill

smiffy wrote:I don't think Steve would ever make a record that is "just" guitarorientated. The original ALS was made with a traditional rock line-up and with the guitar in front, but to me it still was way more than just a guitaralbum. Steve's playing and compositional skills are so different than anybody else's and his music always sticks out as special, to me anyhow.
That's true actually-what's 'conventional' guitar-wise about ALS? Not a lot-its Steve and his unique vision!
GuitarAlien7

ALS type or RL2

8)
litlgrnman

If there's one thing I'm not worried about it's Steve releasing something conventional or boring!

:mrgreen:
FireComa

How about neither?

Instead of creating an album to one that's "similar" to a previous one, how about we just let him craft one that's wholly original, unique, and different than ones from previous records.

Whatever he puts out will rock, whether it is an ALS on Steriods or another Real Illusions. But I want something original. And knowing Steve, it probably will be.
cbr1000f

I voted "other":
"La corde du feu (Fire Strings) for electric guitar and orchestra"
It's almost 6 years ago...it's about time :wink:
But hey, whatever Steve wants to bring out is good for me :)

But I really want to hear Fire Strings!!!
Splish

cbr1000f wrote:I voted "other":
"La corde du feu (Fire Strings) for electric guitar and orchestra"
It's almost 6 years ago...it's about time :wink:
But hey, whatever Steve wants to bring out is good for me :)

But I really want to hear Fire Strings!!!
I'll admit, that's something I have wanted to hear since I caught wind of the project. I can only imagine what it must have sounded like...
PureVa|

I remember reading an interview a couple years ago where steve said he wants to make the next RI continuation a more "natural" sounding album. There no doubt that Reflections was ultra "spacey". He also said he wanted it to be more vocal than any of his other albums. I wish I could remember where I read this. I'll do some searching.
Big Bad Bill

Splish wrote:I'll admit, that's something I have wanted to hear since I caught wind of the project. I can only imagine what it must have sounded like...
Its like the second disc of Sound Theories.
cbr1000f

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Splish wrote:I'll admit, that's something I have wanted to hear since I caught wind of the project. I can only imagine what it must have sounded like...
Its like the second disc of Sound Theories.
I seriously doubt that. The tracks on the second disc still are Steve's compositions and I guess that Steve's compositions will always be more accessible (deliberately) than those of avant-garde composer Ichiro Nodaira. Concerning Fire Strings...I always had the impression that Steve was afraid of the reaction of his fans. He definitely wanted to bring out his own orchestral work first. But now...the door is open :wink:
Big Bad Bill

cbr1000f wrote:I seriously doubt that. The tracks on the second disc still are Steve's compositions and I guess that Steve's compositions will always be more accessible (deliberately) than those of avant-garde composer Ichiro Nodaira. Concerning Fire Strings...I always had the impression that Steve was afraid of the reaction of his fans. He definitely wanted to bring out his own orchestral work first. But now...the door is open :wink:
Well, I have to admit to reaching for the skip, cue and finally the stop button when listening to it, so this is my assessment of Firestrings after a brief listen to it.
Polymnie

[quote="FireComa"]

Instead of creating an album to one that's "similar" to a previous one, how about we just let him craft one that's wholly original, unique, and different than ones from previous records.quote]

" The passions remain so lively but we acquired, at last!
this faculty which adds to the existence its supreme flavour,
be able to take his experience and make it turn, slowly in the light. "

Virginia Woolf

I really hope he makes RI 2. RI 1 is one of my favorite albums of all time. I like ALS but it's low on my list of Vai solo albums.