Price

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Tobacco Road

Price

#1 Post by Tobacco Road » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:43 pm

How come the price of Steve's albums are so high. I usually pay around $27 a piece. By all means, I'm not saying im angry , and would indeed pay $40 for a single C.D if it were to come to that. Just curious as to why the price is quite higher then other artists.

Ciao

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:53 pm

Maybe you're buying them in the wrong place?

Take a look at the store on vai.com ; I see most CD's for around 14 bucks.

J

Jeries

#3 Post by Jeries » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:24 am

I would NEVER pay $40 for a single CD.

leigh01

#4 Post by leigh01 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:09 am

I normally get any vai album for £7 - £10 ($14 - $20 roughly)
But some of the older ones new, I have managed to get for as little as £5 (around $10)

GuitarStrings

#5 Post by GuitarStrings » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:29 am

I buy HUGE quantity of Vai's albums to give them as presents to my friends.
The one I've bought the most is Fire Garden cd, then The Ultra Zone. These are the 2 albums which can always bring my friends into Vai someway. Then, if they dig it, I will suggest Passion and Warfare.

During the period of xmas last year I have had 4 Fire Garden cds to deliever hahaha.

These albums are 9.90 euro here.

Because one tend to enjoy music more when has an original cd with booklet and everything.

Obviously I only give these cds to my friends who are potential fans of Vai's music. :)

Jem22

#6 Post by Jem22 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:34 am

Yeah, they are pretty cheap in the Vai store. I only end up paying around $27 when I order a CD from HMV or a privately-owned CD store. And I don't think it's only Steve's music... I've paid around $30 for a Kamelot CD. I think it's just because they are a little harder to get, and most stores around where I live never have them in stock, so it's always a special order :roll: Ah well, it makes it even more worth it when they finally arrive :)

Evai

#7 Post by Evai » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:10 am

I paid £20 for a Van Halen compilation... ouch

NantucketSleighrider

#8 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:50 am

It does pay to shop around. For example, just yesterday I bought an Albert Ayler boxset for £45, when it should have been £90 anywhere else! Forget about your HMVs and your Virgin Megastores, look out for the small shops, some real bargains to be found!

guyver_dio

#9 Post by guyver_dio » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:20 am

I don't know about other places or internationally, but we've got some pretty helpful australian sites. Like this one called staticice that searches every computer store in australia for the part you put in and returns with a list from cheapest to dearest. I use it for practically anything electronic, you can find things practically half the price or even less then you would shopping locally or just using one well known site. There's another australian one called shopbot which I haven't really used much that finds any product your looking for. Always thought it'd be good to have something like this but for cd's and dvd's only, and to search worldwide. Anyone know of if there's anything like that?

Jem22

#10 Post by Jem22 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:03 am

NantucketSleighrider wrote:It does pay to shop around. For example, just yesterday I bought an Albert Ayler boxset for £45, when it should have been £90 anywhere else! Forget about your HMVs and your Virgin Megastores, look out for the small shops, some real bargains to be found!
Hmmm... unfortunately for me, the small stores seem to be more pricey here! :?

Tobacco Road

#11 Post by Tobacco Road » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:47 pm

Jeroen wrote:Maybe you're buying them in the wrong place?

J

I would by more stuff online by the shipping costs are outrageous. I purchased the Alien Love Secrets Book, and a Front Row Center picture and shipping alone was around $20/item!!

Booligan

#12 Post by Booligan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:02 pm

Jeroen, if I found new cd´s for 14 bucks i´d seriously piss honey. the normal price for a brand new cd is 29 bucks.
Jeries wrote:I would NEVER pay $40 for a single CD.
I paid 41 bucks for the new Gilbert album because i didn´t want to wait for it to be released in europe. so yeah, if an album is good enough i´m happy to pay.

Moderator777

#13 Post by Moderator777 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:34 pm

Tobacco Road wrote:
Jeroen wrote:Maybe you're buying them in the wrong place?

J

I would by more stuff online by the shipping costs are outrageous. I purchased the Alien Love Secrets Book, and a Front Row Center picture and shipping alone was around $20/item!!
Well then - it's not the cost of the albums as your original complaint. I think you answered your own question. Perhaps shipping them to local stores and taxes in your area are higher than most places.

Blame the postal service and the government taxes. :)

The last time I spent more than what would be equivelent to USD16.00 on a CD was Jake E. Lee's A Fine Pink Mist which was a Japanese import for around $40 US.

One tip is to save up and buy several at a time to cut shipping costs. Sometimes I have waited over a year for the price of an album to come down. But when it comes to something I really want, I buy it no matter the cost.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com

theriddler14

#14 Post by theriddler14 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 pm

I got you my friend I got the solution. You gotta go on a quest for a walmart that sells vai albums. they sell them for about 9$. If this fails use amazon