about youtube Vai vids (recently locked)

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
llamahead

about youtube Vai vids (recently locked)

#1 Post by llamahead » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:13 pm

sorry i've been a little busy lately so i missed putting my two cents in

so i just have a small request. . . . . . . can i post videos of Steve playing on my myspace page?

if i get the code from the Vai channel

if so my small request is i want, (preferably) a live video of Steve playing "i would love to"

cuz that's just a great song wouldn't you agree?
:wink:

http://youtube.com/user/SteveVaiHimself
:D
Last edited by llamahead on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#2 Post by Mikey » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi there,

Yes, absolutely. YouTube is made so that people can embed the videos in their page - so anything that goes on the Vai YouTube channel can be shared using the YouTube sharing codes.

And, to re-iterate, we did not seek anyone's accounts be shut down. We simply sent YouTube a list of videos to be removed. Not every account that posted Vai videos was closed. Many of them are still open. It seems that perhaps those that were shut had violated the rules before.

The way Steve is being attacked for this is outrageous, and I think if more people stopped to think about it, and stopped getting all worked up by chanting the mantra that Steve had some guy's account shut down, they would see that he was well within his rights, and that those people who posted videos they had no authorization to do so were in the wrong - no matter how good their intentions might have been.

Thanks for listening,

Mikey
vai.com

Svelt Pen

#3 Post by Svelt Pen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:03 am

Mikey wrote:Hi there,

Yes, absolutely. YouTube is made so that people can embed the videos in their page - so anything that goes on the Vai YouTube channel can be shared using the YouTube sharing codes.

And, to re-iterate, we did not seek anyone's accounts be shut down. We simply sent YouTube a list of videos to be removed. Not every account that posted Vai videos was closed. Many of them are still open. It seems that perhaps those that were shut had violated the rules before.

The way Steve is being attacked for this is outrageous, and I think if more people stopped to think about it, and stopped getting all worked up by chanting the mantra that Steve had some guy's account shut down, they would see that he was well within his rights, and that those people who posted videos they had no authorization to do so were in the wrong - no matter how good their intentions might have been.

Thanks for listening,

Mikey
vai.com
+1

RAI

#4 Post by RAI » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:07 pm

Amen.....

8)

StevieRayVai

#5 Post by StevieRayVai » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Totally agree, its ridiculous how many people actually attacked Steve for this. I've been thinking about the things said for a good day now and cant believe how misunderstood things are and how ignorant others are. Im not here to kiss anyones ass but come on.

neoshredder
Newcomer

#6 Post by neoshredder » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:17 am

Well I guess it's not only Vai that gets videos deleted. Now it is the Malmsteen Management for asking StSanders overdubbed video of Yngwie being removed. It caused the account to get deleted by youtube as well. :(

CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

BUCKETHEADLAND

#7 Post by CymbalSplittingSkinbasher » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 am

One good thing about all of this, is that some of Vai's videos have been replaced with even more Buckethead videos!!! :lol: Everything's fine here at The Park!!! 8) :lol: :guitar

TRIDS

#8 Post by TRIDS » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:45 am

I am sorry if this has been explained before in the other thread, but I really didn't feel like looking through 5 pages of people bitching and cursing at Steve. So this youtube channel isn't just gonna be like stuff from DVD's right? Is there gonna be other videos like some old and rare videos straight out of Steve's vault? Like maybe some old P&W or Zappa or DLR stuff. There is gonna be some new stuff in there too right? I bet the quality of the videos will be better then what those people were posting anyway.

Stephen Brown

#9 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Do not upload any TV shows, music videos, music concerts or commercials without permission unless they consist entirely of content you created yourself. The Copyright Tips page and the Community Guidelines can help you determine whether your video infringes someone else's copyright.

By clicking "Upload Video", you are representing that this video does not violate YouTube's Terms of Use and that you own all copyrights in this video or have express permission from all copyright owners to upload it.

http://uk.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First copyright:1790 (just at that it time didn't include music)

Copyright office Formed:1897.

StevieRayVai

#10 Post by StevieRayVai » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 pm

neoshredder wrote:Well I guess it's not only Vai that gets videos deleted. Now it is the Malmsteen Management for asking StSanders overdubbed video of Yngwie being removed. It caused the account to get deleted by youtube as well. :(
Glad to hear it, the malmsteen one was the only funny one, unless he made the one of Petrucci blowing up the eiffel tower. He even had the nerve to attack SRV with that, I was like WTF, the mans a legend, he's passed on and is a saint, respect!

llamahead

#11 Post by llamahead » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:31 pm

SRV is too far you cannot deny him cuz he is a legend. my guitar teacher saw him, and he said that SRV could be talking, eating, drinking, winking at a girl, and still play guitar like on the record!!!!!

(yeah, i said things that involve a hand!!!!!!) :lol:

Samuele

#12 Post by Samuele » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:47 am

I think one way to understand this is to picture yourself in Steve's place. Can you imagine yourself as a long-time recording, performing, completely artistic and all-rounded musician that feels compelled to present his/her body of work with the highest degree of quality that you can? Had I been Steve, I would have requested those videos to be removed a long time ago. Sorry, folks... :)

But one of the positive aspects of all this is that there will be no more people judging Steve's entire output just on the basis of a poor quality video which was shot with a cellphone. Instead, we will have an official channel to watch with probably even rarer material available, thanks to our boys.

My hat off to you, Steve and Mikey. You always come up with the brightest ideas!
Last edited by Samuele on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZappaIrl

#13 Post by ZappaIrl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:22 am

my opinion is, i think steve vai vids on youtube are okay, if it was possible to download the videos from youtube then i would have a problem.

i have 'previewed' many great videos and having seen little snippets has made me go out and buy a dvd that i might not have bought otherwise. the videos on youtube, are not the best quality... which is why if somebody likes something enough on it, they'll go an buy the retail version.

i think deleting all steve's vids on youtube is a massive mistake, when i was waiting to see the sound theories tour in ireland, it was very exciting to see little snippets of the shows that had gone before, it didnt ruin it for me, if i thought it was gonna ruin it.... i wouldnt have looked, and anybody that says that it ruined it for them, shouldnt have looked either.

i've watched many interesting and rare performances and interviews with steve on youtube, it was great... i would never get a chance to see these anywhere else, and i dont think ill ever be able to get to see them again.

im sure alot of people have been turned onto steve vai through youtube, it was so easy to paste a link and show a friend what they're missing, i'd bet that youtube has probably sold more dvd's and cd's for steve vai than it has 'stolen'.

im just wondering, during the evo experience i got my pic with steve.... does steve own that picture? if i put that picture on the net... do i have to get permission?

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by Jeroen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:27 am

ZappaIrl wrote:my opinion is, i think steve vai vids on youtube are okay, if it was possible to download the videos from youtube then i would have a problem.
But it *is* possible to download video's from youtube....

J

StevieRayVai

#15 Post by StevieRayVai » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:59 am

Samuele wrote:I think one way to understand this is to picture yourself in Steve's place. Can you imagine yourself as a long-time recording, performing, completely artistic and all-rounded musician that feels compelled to present his/her body of work with the highest degree of quality that you can? Had I been Steve, I would have requested those videos to be removed a long time ago. Sorry, folks... :)

But one of the positive aspects of all this is that there will be no more people judging Steve's entire output just on the basis of a poor quality video which was shot with a cellphone. Instead, we will have an official channel to watch with probably even rarer material available, thanks to our boys.

My hat off to you, Steve and Mickey. You always come up with the brightest ideas!
Dude his name is Mikey, not Mickey. Whats with all these people calling him Mickey?