Steve Vai-The Biography

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Big Bad Bill

Now that Steve is fast approaching the half century mark (sorry to remind you, Steve), I wonder if he'd consider getting someone to write his biography? I'm aware Steve likes to keep his private life under wraps, so the biog could have a heavy bias toward the musical aspects of his life. I think it'd make for fascinating reading, it would provide fans with interesting insights into their hero, and be a permanent written record of a much admired artist, composer and guitarist.
Zeds.Ded

id buy it :wink:
davidparis

not a bad idea at all
Big Bad Bill

There's probably a very good chance that there's someone on this board who is qualified to do it too: a journalist or something? I know of an Australian music journalist on the Yahoo Vai mailing list (Chris McMahon) who would be very well qualified to do it (he's interviewed Hagar, EVH etc etc and is a great bloke). Just a thought.
Zeds.Ded

its up to the main man really, maybe he has planned to do it when (if) he retires, or when he reaches a higher age
Big Bad Bill

Musicians don't retire-they meander into Jazz-Fusion! :wink:
Zeds.Ded

you think Steve is going to start playing Jazz? :D
Big Bad Bill

I hope not but Jazz seems to be an insidious disease that takes over the mind of all older contemporary composers. It's a bit like sherry: you hate it all your life until you get to about 40+ and then you think, 'Hmmm this isn't that bad after all'!
boswell

Port is nicer :wink:

Big Bad Bill wrote:There's probably a very good chance that there's someone on this board who is qualified to do it too: a journalist or something? I know of an Australian music journalist on the Yahoo Vai mailing list (Chris McMahon) who would be very well qualified to do it (he's interviewed Hagar, EVH etc etc and is a great bloke). Just a thought.
Hey Big Bad Anil!!! :D

I am speechless that you thought of me!
I can think of few things I would rather do, indeed.
Even to imagine doing a project like that is total fun!

Irrespective of my theoretical involvement, I think that it is a wonderful idea! In true Vai fashion it would have to incorporate; his life, actual music (printed and audio) and multi-media - all in a huge prize of entertainment and information for the fans! That would rock! I loved reading his journals, which don't seem to be online right now? (The Long Island stories especially, they really stay with me.)

In the interest of truth, I interviewed Sammy Hagar alone -
I have not had the pleasure of interviewing EVH!! :D

Anil, you are truly a great bloke, and the only Dr. I trust!!! :D

Regards,

Chris!
litlgrnman

777 wrote:I loved reading his journals, which don't seem to be online right now? (The Long Island stories especially, they really stay with me.)
Here's the archive link that someone posted a while back:

http://web.archive.org/web/200302081231 ... -1985.html

I would love it if Steve took the time to write his autobiography at some point. He has a fantastic sense of humor and tells fascinating stories. For right now I hope he focus on music related projects though.
Big Bad Bill

Lets not distract Steve from the second installment of Real Illusions or discs for the Box Set! :wink: That's why I suggested a biography by a good and sensible writer: Steve would just have to relay hi stories orally, while Chri....I mean... the biographer took notes, wrote them up fully and had Steve approve them. But then knowing Steve, he wouldn't be satisfied with a 'normal' biography-it'd have to have something really unique and special about it.
litlgrnman

While I think Steve could easily fill thousands of pages with his story already I think he's still in the midst of adding essential chapters. And I enjoy reading his writing so much that I'd rather wait for his version.

Don't get me wrong, I would gladly pick up and swiftly devour any biography of Steve. However, given his track record I just can't see him turning over the reigns to such a personal project.

If any out there are intesrested in a glimpse into his life back in the Zappa days you should consider tracking down a copy of:

Under The Same Moon : My Life with Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Bob Harris and a Community of Other Artistic Souls by Thana Harris (aka Ursula Rayven)

Hey Guys,

My point in mentioning the journals being offline was: Maybe he is doing something with them already?? It was very late when I posted, and left that bit out!! Aren't you guys psychic? 8)

I love the way Steve writes too, very personal and informal.

As far as concentrating on music, I think the perfect companion to FZ's music, is "The Real FZ Book"!!! :lol:

There are some scorchingly good rock bios out there; I just finished "Nankering with the Rollling Stones" by James Phelge, and I think that is already one of my fav books ever! Just now I am starting Barry Miles' Zappa bio, which promises to be awesome!!
I also love "I was Bono's Doppelganger" by Neil McCormick, not a "straight" rock bio by any means, but all the better for it!!

Chris!
Big Bad Bill

A Van Halen biog. would be great too. It'd be nice to get the whole picture of the ups and downs of VH-although I suspect the downs are due to the demon drink.

This is new and on my Christmas pressie list:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Halen-Histo ... 915&sr=1-2