VISUAL SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
ClarkyNZ

#31 Post by ClarkyNZ » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:02 am

Wow!

It's been a year (almost) since I saw Steve live, and I forgot how good he sounds when you can watch him play. Sheer majesty, your majesty. :)

quiksilver98

#32 Post by quiksilver98 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Hey guys I just got the ST dvd and watched it. It is an AWESOME DVD, couldnt be better except for ONe thing. THE SONGS AREN'T in order. Atittude songs was the last song, libery was near the beginning of the concert, murder was also near the end of the concert, not before answers. FTLOG was after imbecoming/salamanders Also, "Steve Speaks" should ahve been part fo the original concert footage, not as a bonus feature. but other than thatm, the dvd was awesome!!! thanks Steve!!!!!!!

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#33 Post by Mikey » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:17 pm

quiksilver98 wrote:Hey guys I just got the ST dvd and watched it. It is an AWESOME DVD, couldnt be better except for ONe thing. THE SONGS AREN'T in order. Atittude songs was the last song, libery was near the beginning of the concert, murder was also near the end of the concert, not before answers. FTLOG was after imbecoming/salamanders Also, "Steve Speaks" should ahve been part fo the original concert footage, not as a bonus feature. but other than thatm, the dvd was awesome!!! thanks Steve!!!!!!!
The songs are not out of order, though the Orchestra-only music was performed BEFORE Steve joined the orchestra on stage.

Mikey
vai.com

quiksilver98

#34 Post by quiksilver98 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:14 pm

Mikey wrote:
quiksilver98 wrote:Hey guys I just got the ST dvd and watched it. It is an AWESOME DVD, couldnt be better except for ONe thing. THE SONGS AREN'T in order. Atittude songs was the last song, libery was near the beginning of the concert, murder was also near the end of the concert, not before answers. FTLOG was after imbecoming/salamanders Also, "Steve Speaks" should ahve been part fo the original concert footage, not as a bonus feature. but other than thatm, the dvd was awesome!!! thanks Steve!!!!!!!
The songs are not out of order, though the Orchestra-only music was performed BEFORE Steve joined the orchestra on stage.

Mikey
vai.com
I managed to get a bootleg of someone recording this concert when it was broadcast on tv and the songs are in a different than the dvd. correct me if im wrong. Im not trying to argue though, just saying what i know.

quiksilver98

#35 Post by quiksilver98 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Ha Ha, I found a way to beat you Mikey :P.

In the "Steve Speaks" footage, he puts on a 7dbk and then talks about the "final song" of the night. Now in the video I saw, atittude song was last and he used a dbk for it. Evidence enough? no? Well also between the atittude song and the previous song, the audience is aplauding and then all of a suddenly when it looks at the crowd, the applauding stops however the people we see are still appluading hard.

gotcha Mikey, Have a good one man

Ekim

#36 Post by Ekim » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:31 pm

The DVD is in stock at Best Buy.com. It wasn't for the first few days. I made a second trip out to the stores to get it today.

Great job, Steve! I don't know what else to say. I really enjoyed the songs with just the orchestra the best. Something about the new music and it not having the guitar really focuses my attention.

I really liked the mix too. It didn't seem as though the drums were as overpowering as on the CD mix.

I hope the whole project turned out as well as Steve hoped. It exceeded my expectations by quite a bit.

HeBoMan

#37 Post by HeBoMan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:35 am

My dvd arrived yesterday (amazon). Finally! We had to wait a long time for this one.....two years. I was there In Groningen and I knew all the material already because I recorded the tv broadcasts but the dvd is worth the wait! Great stuff! What a memory.... Good to find that Steve's thanking words are on the dvd PLUS us singing "Happy Birthday" to Pia. That was such a beautiful moment. 8)
I noticed a few differences with the tv broadcasts. On the dvd there are some "remarkable" director's choices of moving and out of focus camera shots but I guess that that makes it a little more interesting to watch then the cleaner tv version. I read some discussion about the order of songs in this thread: well, not important I think. Yes, the orchestra-only parts were first and Attitide was the last one, the encore after the thanking words. And quiksilver98, the tv "bootleg" was random order. The interview: again an interesting choice of camera shots: why weren't there any parts of the main (NPS) camera used that is constantly there in front of us? Copyrigh reasons? Small disappointment is that Behind The scenes and Bledsoe Bluvd is on there too: it makes that my EVO dvd doesn't contain that much exclusive material anymore....just a remark, no big deal.

But more important: great music to listen to and to watch! This one will be in my player many, many, many times. :)

Thanks Steve and all for this fantastic dvd!

Cheers, Henk

slater

#38 Post by slater » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:28 am

I watched my copy yesterday. Very entertaining dvd. Before hearing or seeing any of it (I don't have the cd), I was a little suspect of the song selection. However, they all come off pretty damn good. But I am still left with the "what if he had played...[fill in the blank]".

My favorites (right now) are I'm Becoming, Salamanders, Shadows, and Frangelica I&II.

I can't stop thinking about Zappa when I watch this.

I don't really have any major criticisms. I am aware of all the editing; but I will give it a pass this time as this music demands precision in the instrumentation.

This is a must have for your dvd collection; go get your copy today!
Last edited by slater on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Bad Bill

#39 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:43 am

Is the commentary audio track a few seconds behind the video? It just seems like when somebody says, "Hey, and there's blahdy blah..." it's about 2 seconds after they've first appeared on screen.

notavirtuoso

#40 Post by notavirtuoso » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:28 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:Is the commentary audio track a few seconds behind the video? It just seems like when somebody says, "Hey, and there's blahdy blah..." it's about 2 seconds after they've first appeared on screen.
There's a delay because the video was being played here but Steve was on Venus so that's as fast as it could get transmitted there, Steve to say something and then transmit it back. Not bad for an antenna hidden in the extra finger. :wink:

quiksilver98

#41 Post by quiksilver98 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:43 pm

Well then howcome there wasn't a last song and he just so happened to use a dbk during atittude song and atittude has been the traditional last song.

Big Bad Bill

#42 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:25 am

notavirtuoso wrote:There's a delay because the video was being played here but Steve was on Venus so that's as fast as it could get transmitted there, Steve to say something and then transmit it back. Not bad for an antenna hidden in the extra finger. :wink:
<ahem> I don't know what you're talking about :wink:

PSD

#43 Post by PSD » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:06 am

quiksilver98 wrote:Well then howcome there wasn't a last song and he just so happened to use a dbk during atittude song and atittude has been the traditional last song.
Give it a rest. No one cares to argue this point.

percyslice
Newcomer

#44 Post by percyslice » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Its amazing really amazing cant believe the quality of everything WOW :shock: :D

percyslice
Newcomer

#45 Post by percyslice » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Just wished I was their :(