VISUAL SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
The Wolf

#16 Post by The Wolf » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:12 pm

bought it the day it came out, it was at the first store I checked, which was excellent. I went immediately back to my room and watched every bit of it until I was halfway through the commentary during my second time through the footage (I had to go out). suffice to say I was enthralled, and am pumped about getting my chance to go back and finish it off. it's really fascinating being able to watch such a well thought out orchestral work, I know we've all seen some orchestral stuff that doesn't work out so well (I'm not mentioning names) it's both reassuring and obvious that Steve and the orchestra pulled it off as well as they did. I love buying stuff like this, because I know I'm gonna get my money's worth out of it by watching it over and over.

the_1570

#17 Post by the_1570 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 am

I just picked up the DVD today at HMV (They also had the CDs Passion and Warfare AND sound theories, but I couldn't pick them up :()

This DVD kicks ass so far! And I've only seen up to "Answers"

I'm sure the rest of the DVD will be just as good!

Overall 10/10 :D

null_is_one

#18 Post by null_is_one » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:08 am

Hey!

i just learned how to pronounce "Brando's Costumes"! :)

brentm

#19 Post by brentm » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:31 pm

HOT HOT HOT!

RED HOT

THE MURDER is so fucking bad ass! I've been listening to that track continually in my car... but watching you play it makes it SOOOO much more.

I hope one day you decide to tour with such an orchestra. I know it would be a major undertaking (pain in the ass).. But I'd love the opportunity to see you play Benaroya Hall in Seattle or something crazy like that.... amazing!

I have to go pick my jaw up off the ground.

prman

#20 Post by prman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:01 am

I watched the DVD from start to finish (extras and commentaries included) without getting up from my sofa. That sums up how enjoyable this DVD is.

Congratulations to Mikey for his outstanding work on all the Sound Theories graphic desings (DVD menus, album & DVD covers, CD booklets, web desings...). They are absolutely amazing and support the music in a great way!

Thank you to Steve for taking the extra effort on this DVD release in form of alternate takes, mixes, edits, interviews... you know... all that good stuff. THANK YOU!!!

Last but not least: I can`t tell you how thrilled I was to read that you guys are going to film the Minneapolis show for Sound Theories Tour DVD. The future release of it will make the fans that couldn`t attend this tour (me included) extremely happy. "You guys know, how to make a _______ (insert your nationality here) boy/girl feel good!"

Big Bad Bill

#21 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:48 am

The whole 'Sound Theories concept' makes a lot more sense to me now I've seen the DVD, which is excellent. I feel that it should've been released before the CD. Listening to the CD is like watching 'Lord of the Rings' with a blindfold on-you miss a great deal of the spectacle!

otmg
Newcomer

Thanks for the comments..

#22 Post by otmg » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 am

Hi all, Jason Feinberg here, I am the editor, dvd author, and third guy on the DVD commentary. So glad to hear you guys dig the DVD, we all worked real hard to make it something special.

Please keep the comments coming, it's very rewarding to know that the fans appreciate it and enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed making it.

Thanks,
Jason

sap

#23 Post by sap » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:48 pm

otmg,

You did a great job on the dvd. There are a lot of movies that have come out lately that seems from my unprofessonal eyes to be poorly edited. The Vai dvd isnt one of them. I can watch the dvd from start to finish and it never seems boring or to drag. Every scene seems to flow smoothly and has purpose. I hope you work and Vai's next dvd projects.

sincerly
sap

Big Bad Bill

Re: Thanks for the comments..

#24 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:36 am

otmg wrote:Please keep the comments coming, it's very rewarding to know that the fans appreciate it and enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed making it.
A great DVD indeed, Jason. The sound through my ordinary stereo TV is just so crisp and expansive! What would've been a nice addition is some sort of booklet of photos, Mikey's prototype cover art, track commentaries and little stories along the lines of the one in the CD. The package seems a little 'sparse' with just the DVD. Just a thought.

ricdiggle
Newcomer

#25 Post by ricdiggle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:00 am

Was the concert shot in HD? I only ask as this is 2007 you know and DVD is soooo 2006. Not that I can find anywhere selling it int he UK anyway!

PSD

#26 Post by PSD » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:52 am

I picked up my copy at the 9/25 tour stop in NYC. I held off on posting a CD review for the chance to see the DVD, as I thought that this performance would be best appreciated from both an audio and visual perspective. And was I ever right (for once). The DVD has some great surprises on it, big and small, from a happy birthday wish to a really cool "bottom's up" build of the orchestra during Shadows and Sparks. You will see what I mean.

Technically, the editting, sound and picture clarity are all better than satisfactory. The sound in particular is clean and crisp. The brass really cuts and the percussion is full and resonant. The camera work is solid. Only rarely do you feel like you may be missing something else when the feed is being shown. Great close up on Steve's left hand during his magnificent run during the close of For The Love of God.

As for performance, how can you complain when Steve went in and painstakingly "fixed" everything. And by the way, I don't blame him. Any dubbing or editting is pretty seamless except for maybe one instance where conductor Dick Bakker's down stroke with the baton may have been out of synch with the response of the orchestra, but I'm really nitpicking there aren't I?

The songs themselves work better from a visual standpoint, too. I didn't think Kill The Guy With The Ball was an obvious choice to orchestrate and it is my least favorite on the CD, but the performance is fun and exciting as you watch it unfold. Salamanders In The Sun and Gentle Ways to me are the revelations. They benefit more from the orchestral treatment than any other songs (along with Bledsoe Blvd) and to me are much stronger pieces than their stripped down originals. It is also nice to see Lotus Feet added here where it rightfully belongs. Special mention must be given to the soloists and to the percussion section whose use of cymbals, castanets, gongs, chimes, and marimba/xylophone add a tremendous amount of color.

I'm leaving much more out as there is plenty there for you to explore on your own. If you can only afford one, by all means get the DVD. But get both anyway!

I would love to see a future project where Steve considers orchestral versions of San Sebastian, Dyin' Day, Boston Rain Melody, Touching Tongues, Feathers, and LUCKY CHARMS!

4 stars out of 4 for me. Congratulations to all involved.

otmg
Newcomer

#27 Post by otmg » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:36 pm

sap wrote:otmg,
You did a great job on the dvd. There are a lot of movies that have come out lately that seems from my unprofessonal eyes to be poorly edited. The Vai dvd isnt one of them. I can watch the dvd from start to finish and it never seems boring or to drag. Every scene seems to flow smoothly and has purpose. I hope you work and Vai's next dvd projects.
Thanks so much! I hope Steve agrees with that last sentence! ;)

otmg
Newcomer

Re: Thanks for the comments..

#28 Post by otmg » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:39 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:A great DVD indeed, Jason. The sound through my ordinary stereo TV is just so crisp and expansive! What would've been a nice addition is some sort of booklet of photos, Mikey's prototype cover art, track commentaries and little stories along the lines of the one in the CD. The package seems a little 'sparse' with just the DVD. Just a thought.
Yeah that audio is amazing! If you think it sounds great in stereo through tv speakers, imagine how the 5.1 sounds in a huge home theater... I have gotten to experience that and it is mind blowing!

Thanks for the feedback about packaging, I'll make sure to mention that to Steve and Mikey.

otmg
Newcomer

#29 Post by otmg » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:40 pm

ricdiggle wrote:Was the concert shot in HD? I only ask as this is 2007 you know and DVD is soooo 2006. Not that I can find anywhere selling it int he UK anyway!
Unfortunately not. It was filmed in 2005 as standard def. I know that most if not all of Steve's recent filmings have been some flavor of HD though...

otmg
Newcomer

#30 Post by otmg » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:45 pm

PSD wrote:4 stars out of 4 for me. Congratulations to all involved.
Thanks for the in-depth comments. It's pretty stunning how so many of Steve's songs sound right at home in the orchestral setting. I agree that Gentle Ways sounds so natural this way, and as I said on the commentary if I had never heard For The Love Of God before I'd have believed that this version was how it was written.

Jason