VISUAL SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

VISUAL SOUND THEORIES: REVIEW THREAD

#1 Post by Jeroen » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:02 pm

his is the thread for you to post your reviews, comments and thoughts on this unique Steve Vai DVD release.

We would love to hear your feedback.

Jeroen :)
Vai.com

beyondthenotes712

#2 Post by beyondthenotes712 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:24 pm

First off, thanks Steve. As a 16 year old growing up today, I'm bombarded constantly by being told what to wear, how to look, what to and not to believe, and especially, what to listen to. Your perseverance and honesty, as well as dedication to your instrument, is an inspiration among the muck of fabrication and materialism. But I'm not here to talk about that.

The DVD is in a word, well there isn't just a word, but let's start off with: breathtaking. Seeing the evolution of his work along with the level of mastery of his instrument is beautiful and terrifying all together. I'm also glad most of the content from Shadows and Sparks was included (some of my favorite work Vai has produced). Seeing Steve play adds a whole other dimension to his music, and I don't think I've seen him so desperately connected to each note his guitar (and the orchestra indirectly) produces. Each song is so unique, but all bear the mark of a great composer and musician.

The bonus material is great, and I'm looking forward to listening to the commentary tonight. See you all in Royal Oak!

quiksilver98

#3 Post by quiksilver98 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:50 pm

beyondthenotes712 wrote:First off, thanks Steve. As a 16 year old growing up today, I'm bombarded constantly by being told what to wear, how to look, what to and not to believe, and especially, what to listen to. Your perseverance and honesty, as well as dedication to your instrument, is an inspiration among the muck of fabrication and materialism. But I'm not here to talk about that.

The DVD is in a word, well there isn't just a word, but let's start off with: breathtaking. Seeing the evolution of his work along with the level of mastery of his instrument is beautiful and terrifying all together. I'm also glad most of the content from Shadows and Sparks was included (some of my favorite work Vai has produced). Seeing Steve play adds a whole other dimension to his music, and I don't think I've seen him so desperately connected to each note his guitar (and the orchestra indirectly) produces. Each song is so unique, but all bear the mark of a great composer and musician.

The bonus material is great, and I'm looking forward to listening to the commentary tonight. See you all in Royal Oak!
you new?

samuel

#4 Post by samuel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm

where is the link to buy it?

Legba
Newcomer

#5 Post by Legba » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:50 am

Let me just say this I spent the day calling every record store in town and not one store got the dvd today I am thoroughly pissed at the state of what sells in the U.S. So one of the guys said he could get me one tomorrow so I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow. All of you enjoy though haha

PSD

#6 Post by PSD » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:57 am

Legba wrote:Let me just say this I spent the day calling every record store in town and not one store got the dvd today I am thoroughly pissed at the state of what sells in the U.S. So one of the guys said he could get me one tomorrow so I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow. All of you enjoy though haha
Can anyone comment on whether the packaging of the DVD sold at the venues during concert dates differs from what will be available from retail stores and amazon.com?

another virtuoso

#7 Post by another virtuoso » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:15 am

I rushed to my music store first thing this morning to grab my copy and am now back at home sitting in my living room chair watching this work of art unfold on my tv screen. Midway through Answers, the first word that comes to mind is... :shock:
It's very refreshing to actually see Steve play what I've been listening to and the entire performance is just spectacular.
It reminds me of how fortunate and blessed I am to be able to experience these things as they happen and as Steve evolves.
And it has definately pumped me up for the show this weekend in Chicago!

dbmay75
Newcomer

#8 Post by dbmay75 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:53 am

Hi everyone,

After purchasing my brand new copy from my local store yesterday, I was surprised to find many, deep scratches on the inside of the case near the DVD, possibly from the fingernails of eager people who were trying to pull the DVD out of the case. For the record, the DVD was sealed in plastic w/stickers and the DVD itself had no markings anywhere.

Does this mean entertainment distributors are suddenly reusing old DVD cases in order to help the environment? If so, I didn't get the e-mail.

Overall it's not a big deal to me as I'm not a collector nor do I make copies then sell the master on eBay, but if I'm paying extra to have a brand spankin' NEW item on the first day of release, in this case a DVD, which I assume is produced in a factory using high-tech machinery - not overworked, underpaid human hands in a third-world country, then I expect a NEW item, not a USED one, regardless if it's worse for the environment or not.

Ok, enough bitching. I feel better now. Please don't let my rantings deter you from buying your own copy as it's a great presentation of Steve's never-ending talents and his amazing music. Let em' go!

saydlowski
Newcomer

#9 Post by saydlowski » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:28 pm

For those of you who have the audio CD, the DVD is a great companion, as there are "alternate versions" of a lot of the pieces on the DVD. Different solos in Frangelica, different Steve/Orchestra exchanges in the beginning of Kill The Guy, etc. etc. Too much camera-shot switching going on at times though, but it seems to calm down as the DVD progresses.

miker

#10 Post by miker » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:48 pm

I just got the DVD today. I really only have three things to say about it...

1) HOLY CRAP!!!
2) I wish I could have been there.
3) I will be watching this DVD for a while (I mean like... over and over. Not, like... it takes me 2 hours to watch 60 minutes). yah. pretty much.

billyg
Newcomer

#11 Post by billyg » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:27 pm

If your local music store doesn't have the DVD, you can find it at amazon.com... we ordered it today.

We have the CD & saw Steve at The Wiltern in LA last week. We're really looking forward to watching the Visual Sound Theories DVD.

They're recording a Sound Theories tour DVD in Minnesota tonight. Should be great!!

ty2k

#12 Post by ty2k » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:16 pm

I picked the DVD up at the Minnapolis show that Steve signed for me after(Thank-you again Steve) and I just finished watching it; It is really well done and the bonus material is great. Another excellent Vai DVD.

dpag1

DVD Review

#13 Post by dpag1 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:53 am

I don't have anything else to say other than incredible!!

Thanks again for your brilliance.

Darren

sap

#14 Post by sap » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:55 am

I was delaying in buying the dvd because I seen some of the footage on youtube and I thought here's another release of the same ol songs. I dont like it when artists release the same songs on a bunch a different CD's. I read the good reviews the DVD was getting so I decided to buy it. The DVD is worth buying, I give it five stars. It has got he interested in the orchestra and I like the orchestra only songs just as much as the Vai songs. Great release Steve.

P.S. WHERE IS FIRESTRINGS.

Thanks
sap

sonny sixshooter

#15 Post by sonny sixshooter » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:07 pm

sap wrote: It has got he interested in the orchestra and I like the orchestra only songs just as much as the Vai songs.
Which is only right! The songs whitout Steve are so cool! They are as much a part of the show as the rest, and really worth enjoying.