Can someone explain the Fire Garden cover art for me?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Duggy

Can someone explain the Fire Garden cover art for me?

#1 Post by Duggy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:04 am

I just got this album (my third of Steve's albums :D ), and I did a bit of searching but can't interpret the cover art. Any help?

Stephen Brown

#2 Post by Stephen Brown » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:31 pm

It shows areas of life & choices. Symbolic.

A picture say's a thousand words.

Not one guitar in site on the cover. :shock: :D

Never noticed that before.

firestone

#3 Post by firestone » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:55 am

i think the cover was a kind of "your own perspective on it" kind of thing

Samuele

#4 Post by Samuele » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:23 am

I'll venture to say that the cover for Fire Garden is a representation of that extreme state of consciousness that Steve calls the "Ultra Zone". I'd say that the character in the middle is Eve, with her child on the right and "her mind" on the left. I think she's sort of "fighting" her mind with Love (see the writing on her hand).

I was inspired to write this by the following story (written by Steve):

http://www.vai.com/AllAboutSteve/stories/fire.html

I only hope I'm not too far from the truth.
Last edited by Samuele on Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

slash89

#5 Post by slash89 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:19 am

It is all about Eve :P

Zeds.Ded

#6 Post by Zeds.Ded » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:24 pm

its voodoo that she possesses

FireComa

#7 Post by FireComa » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:19 pm

and she won't deny her dark side, even though he knows all about her secret life.

Samuele

#8 Post by Samuele » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:20 am

I think this would make a great question for an Evo Experience Q&A, having Steve himself explain his own vision behind the artwork. That would surely end any guessing. :)

StevieRayVai

Awesome

#9 Post by StevieRayVai » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:48 pm

I got this shirt on tour with the Fire Garden on the front. It's by far my favorite album cover art, its so expressive and beautiful. It's so colorful and well thought out. I wore it on campus on friday and like everyone I would walk past would be looking at it, and anyone in my classes, and if I looked at them they would look away like they werent looking at it, haha.

eareshel

#10 Post by eareshel » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:04 am

I dunno bout the art, but the albums damn fantastic! :P

Big Bad Bill

#11 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:39 am

Well, its interesting how the focus is upon Eve-the female.

She looks distinctly disturbing with her body and face festooned with tribal tattoos, 'Love' and, presumably, 'Hate' on the knuckles of her hands, held in greeting or in the child-like pose of prayer also covering her ample bosom even though one nipple, erect and pierced, pokes out, seductively! Her red hair suggests a fiery temperament but her over-sized eyes have a look of 'knowing' about them that suggests that she has gained control of her 'self' through discipline of years of spiritual training. She has a demon lustily glaring at her on one side and the po-faced 'angel' with divine eyes, on the other regarding her disdainfully, on the other. These may be projecting Eve's inner self- both the animalistic, sexually-charged side of her personality being celebrated by the demon, and the 'angel' looking on disapprovingly whilst also suggesting she has a divine, righteous side. Thus the dichotomy of Eve's nature is fully represented. The dice and the card with 'fate' written upon it may suggested both the destined and probabilistic journey that she, and indeed we, all embark upon when we are born. Life (represented by the vine running through the painting) appears to be mapped out from our heritage, but there is always a chance element (dice) that can alter that course and a good degree of luck (represented by the horse shoe-which is interestingly in the 'devil-sitting' orientation-the clubs sign suggesting games of chance). The eight ball however, hovers menacingly (on the rear)-this can be a symbol of 'disadvantage' which might suggest a difficult time ahead for Eve.

There are a few things that defy my analysis: the heart, stabbed through with a dagger, the box of cigars with 'Romeo and Julieta' written upon it, but most intriguingly of all, the transmitter in the distance behind her, broadcasting a message, perhaps even music. What is interesting is that one of the recurring themes in paranoid conditions is that one's thoughts are being transmitted to the outside world. Perhaps Eve is psychotic in some way or in an altered state of consciousness-a coma perhaps? What is that 'cone', like a tornado on its side, on the horizon?

The most obvious image is that of the Steve, presented by a high-cheek-boned skull, with alien eyes (his past references to Venusians and Steve's possible other-worldly origins. No human can play like that!), angelic wings, a maniacal laugh and of course S and V on a fez! Here, he is the musical comedian, laughing either with us, or at us-more specifically, our lack of understanding of what awaits us both musically and perhaps in our futures lives. Why a fez? Who knows?

This is one of my favourite albums too and funnily enough it reminds me of the Autumn-season of mists and mellow fruitfulness which upon us now. I'll be playing Fire Garden a lot over the next few weeks and thinking of Eve..........

Leanne_777

#12 Post by Leanne_777 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:49 am

^^^ I was just about to say that :D . Seriously though, really good points.

Kilar

#13 Post by Kilar » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:13 pm

Funny you should say it reminds you of Autumn, because it reminds me of Spring!

I think it was when the album came out here, in Australia, it was spring and I listened to it quite instensely, therefore my association with it and spring are closely related.

And it always gets a run in my CD player when the new leaves start blooming on the trees, like now!

Big Bad Bill

#14 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:27 am

Kilar wrote:Funny you should say it reminds you of Autumn, because it reminds me of Spring!

I think it was when the album came out here, in Australia, it was spring and I listened to it quite instensely, therefore my association with it and spring are closely related.

And it always gets a run in my CD player when the new leaves start blooming on the trees, like now!
:lol: isn't that odd! It actually sounds autumnal and slightly dark to me like the shortening autumn days! It shows you just how important context is when assimilating something new. Perhaps I should take care to listen to a new Vai album in optimal conditions so as to associate it with positive things!

Big Bad Bill

#15 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:31 am

Leanne_777 wrote:^^^ I was just about to say that :D . Seriously though, really good points.
I'm a big fan of Tim Marlow and his accessible way of interpreting art so I've been reading books and seeking advice on understanding paintings and art recently! But these are just my opinions, they're not fact, so feel free to contradict or add to my interpretation. Maybe Eve is actually a cross-dressing WWF wrestler!