A proposition for Vai.com forums

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
BlindVision48

Well, Im a pretty big enviromentalist, and love to see energy saving stuff going on.

Theres this site, called blackle.com

And its basically google but with black instead of white to save energy! I thought maybe Vai.com forums should try something like this.

Thanks for reading :D
pataman

i think this is an awesome idea. whatever can help out.
BlindVision48

Well Im thinking Mikey would need to take care of it.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

If you use a flat-panel LCD display, I can't see how a black page would save energy, given that LCD panels are backlit.

Not using your computer to troll around on a message board to post stupid crap is another excellent way of saving energy... but then, I'm not referring to anyone who has posted in this thread so far...

Mikey :)
vai.com
pauldlr

Mikey, your on a roll today :lol: :lol:
brentm

Haha..

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. I don't want to start a big long discussion (or have the thread locked in leiu of).... but...

We have all these green people in our office.. and not to say I'm not green... but they get on their proverbial soap boxes, put little recycle bins for plastic bottles that aren't accepted in the office recycling... etc etc..

And I'll say something like. "Eating beef is actually less green than driving a car (these guys are big beef eaters... ribs for breakfast, etc). I guess some Japanese scientist calculated the enviornmental impact of a serving of beef and figured that one serving releases the carbon equivalent of an ordinary car travelling at 50 miles per hour for 155 miles." Unfortunately, they don't bite... well, they don't stop biting into hamburgers.

Anyway, long story short.. I guess anything is helpful and it all contributes to prolonging the inevitable... but the bell has already rung... and reading a black screen to save kw is just too funny.. So thanks for that :)

Now where'd I park my Hummer?
Mr.crapo

Mickey is on Fire ! :lol:
GreenMeanie

BlindVision48 wrote: And its basically google but with black instead of white to save energy! I thought maybe Vai.com forums should try something like this.
I remember when they tried the forum black and green years ago and people bitched thus it stayed white.
guyver_dio

lol that's a riot, never seen anything so freaking pointless as blackle in all my life. Even if it did help, i spent 2 seconds typing a search in and then clicking the site i wanted which then just took me to the site which was practically all white lol. Like seriously how long do you sit on your searches. Never come across that site till just now and i lol'd hard. Especially because of the reason mikey pointed out, lol good thinkin 99.

If you wanna help save energy, go down your street and remind everyone to turn appliances off when they are not using them lol. There's like an infinite amount of things you can do to save energy that would make a world of difference before even thinking of making a website black lol. Something that really gets me about greenys is they get so caught up in thinking of new and better ways to save energy when they are neglecting some of the most obvious ones, like change all the lightbulbs in the house to energy efficient lightbulbs but leave a tv running in a room all day or something. It does happen, I've been witnessed to these idiots. Not suggesting you are one of those though I know a lot of them are really helping. All you gotta do is be a little more thoughtful then normal and switch off everything you switch on when you've finished using it. Simple
BlindVision48

Yeah.....
no need to be sphincters......

Just an idea
Vaiagra

On the contrary. I think we should be wasting as much energy as possible. At least until the Bush administration's reign ends.

I saw a program on the History chanel (or Discovery.. i forget) about the possibility of building a gigantic solar panel reflector thingy and sending it into orbit to harness energy from the sun. Theoretically, this solar panel should be able to fully power most of the US of A.

Yes, it's that simple. And it's doable.

So why should us Joe Shmoe's have to make inconvenient sacrifices while the powers that be could literally curb our dependancy on middle eastern oil and nuclear energy, significantly lower greenhouse gasses or provide natural, cheap and reliable energy?

Washington needs to wake the fk up.
Vaiagra

.. And as an environmentalist, why are you nitpicking through itty bitty and ultimately meaningless matters? 'Blackle' isn't going to save this planet.

It's like penny pinching. Sure, you don't have to leave a tip when you eat out. You'll definately save money that way. But God help you if I'm your waiter :lol: .

If you really want to save planet Earth, gather a bunch of green friends, stand in front of the white house with a loudspeaker, and create havoc until the Chimp wakes up and steps out on the balcony in his PJ's.

THAT'S the person you need to be focusing your energy on. Not Mikey, not Vai.com and not your next door neighboors.
Vaiagra

You should check out the Southpark episode 'Alert'. Season 10, episode 2 (or #141).

:wink:
lydian2000

Vaiagra wrote:You should check out the Southpark episode 'Alert'. Season 10, episode 2 (or #141).

:wink:
A much better thing to do is to watch al gore's "an inconvenient truth", and THEN that south park episode, so that you can get the jokes in the first place and decide for yourself if the environmentalists are worth listening to.

I think they are. :wink: :peace
notavirtuoso

Vaiagra wrote:On the contrary. I think we should be wasting as much energy as possible. At least until the Bush administration's reign ends.

I saw a program on the History chanel (or Discovery.. i forget) about the possibility of building a gigantic solar panel reflector thingy and sending it into orbit to harness energy from the sun. Theoretically, this solar panel should be able to fully power most of the US of A.

Yes, it's that simple. And it's doable.

So why should us Joe Shmoe's have to make inconvenient sacrifices while the powers that be could literally curb our dependancy on middle eastern oil and nuclear energy, significantly lower greenhouse gasses or provide natural, cheap and reliable energy?

Washington needs to wake the fk up.
How does the power get back down to Earth? How much is lost in the transfer. How much energy will we use designing, fabricating, launching parts into space and building, plus trips for maintenance? It sounds good in theory, but it isn't that simple.