3rd G artists for NEXT G3 tour

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Ramma

So what if they aren't alive.. a guy can always dream....right?
ShawShred

SRV Is my favorite guitarist ever...so much feeling, and he makes you feel it in the song too...I think thats something too many guitarists lack....feeling
BREW CREW

Plook wrote:I would personally love to see Steve dump Satch too and take Paul Gilbert and Nuno.

I would sell one of my kidneys to see that one.
Satch and Vai are always going to be on G3 PERIOD. I totally agree with Nuno or Paul Gilbert. They both can play instrumentals all night long and they both have a GREAT fan-base that would attract even MORE people!!! Eddie Van Halen would be the ultimate, but he probably wouldn't want to open for Vai or Satch. If EVH joined up, they would have to play arenas!!!! :D
Ohh and by the way, don't sell a kidney to see Vai "dump" Satch, it would never happen. :lol:
The Prez

As long as Joe and Steve are there that's all that matters, but........

Steve Morse, Phil Keaggy, David Gilmore
Mr. Canadian

Eddie Van Halen [this would be THE guitar event ...]
Jeff Beck [this would be sick too]
Al Di Meola [he tried for this years...hope he gets on the roster eventually]
NeoclassicalShredder

Im very angered by you saying "soulless and repetitive performance by Yngwie" because he puts his heart and soul into playing every night and alot of people call it repetitive are just stupid.he is my hero now dont hurt my feelings... :P
NeoclassicalShredder

i would like to see paul gilbert :-)
BREW CREW

NeoclassicalShredder wrote:i would like to see paul gilbert :-)
That would be the best I can think of. The Billy Sheehan connection would make the jam pretty sweet!! Paul could start of with his tongue in cheek song Y.R.O. (Yngwie Rip Off song). LOL! Most of Pauls new music is totally awesome and a G3 tour would let him show what he can do to a bigger audience!
atlantakat

But what about:

John McLaughlin or
Allan Holdsworth?

Morse, Nuno, Beck, DiMeola, Sarenceno are all good choices too.

EVH -- a wonderful dream, but it will never happen. Putting aside whatever is going on health-wise, band-wise, etc. I don't think he would risk his reputation by going out with Vai and Satch (which is too bad).

I remember a writer did a piece years ago when Eddie jammed with Morse and Albert Lee. The article said that Eddie was a nervous wreck before the show and then was critical of Eddie's technique when caught out in the deep end with truly masterful technicians. Word is that writer was quickly black-listed by the VH camp.

(Interestingly, I was at a Morse/Dregs show a few weeks later, and at the meet and greet Morse completely disagreed with the article and said Ed played great and complimented him for reaching out and jamming on country/bluegrass tunes).

Indeed, Morse might fit in the best: perfect chops and compositional skills, a wide repetoir of songs, styles and sounds, a fearless jammer/musician, and an all round nice guy.

But if you love Vai or Satch, you will not believe what John McLaughlin can do on an electric.

When he reformed Mahavishnu in the late 80's, I caught a couple of his shows. He had this phenomenal bass player named Jonas Hellborg (he did several note for note Hendix tunes for his solo). I put those shows in my personal top 10 to this day. Magical, mystical, and chops from hell, plus he invented the genre!!!
Jackhammer

atlantakat wrote:But what about:

John McLaughlin or
Allan Holdsworth?

Morse, Nuno, Beck, DiMeola, Sarenceno are all good choices too.

EVH -- a wonderful dream, but it will never happen. Putting aside whatever is going on health-wise, band-wise, etc. I don't think he would risk his reputation by going out with Vai and Satch (which is too bad).

I remember a writer did a piece years ago when Eddie jammed with Morse and Albert Lee. The article said that Eddie was a nervous wreck before the show and then was critical of Eddie's technique when caught out in the deep end with truly masterful technicians. Word is that writer was quickly black-listed by the VH camp.

(Interestingly, I was at a Morse/Dregs show a few weeks later, and at the meet and greet Morse completely disagreed with the article and said Ed played great and complimented him for reaching out and jamming on country/bluegrass tunes).

Indeed, Morse might fit in the best: perfect chops and compositional skills, a wide repetoir of songs, styles and sounds, a fearless jammer/musician, and an all round nice guy.

But if you love Vai or Satch, you will not believe what John McLaughlin can do on an electric.

When he reformed Mahavishnu in the late 80's, I caught a couple of his shows. He had this phenomenal bass player named Jonas Hellborg (he did several note for note Hendix tunes for his solo). I put those shows in my personal top 10 to this day. Magical, mystical, and chops from hell, plus he invented the genre!!!
Which albums/songs does Mclaughlin use an electric? :o!
NeoclassicalShredder

george lynch would be cool too
atlantakat

With Mahavishnu Orchestra, Life, and Miles Davis.

True, most of his more recent stuff, Shatki, stuff with DiMeola and DeLucia etc. is all accoustic.

But he shreds on electric.

Check out Inner Mounting Flame etc. Any of the old Mahavishnu records.

He was the Lord of the Double-Neck back in the day.

I'd kill to see him and Vai play together....
swtwc
Newcomer

I posted before but in the wrong forum. So my vote is Zakk Wylde. Not his BLS band. To heavy for G3. If he were to play his Pride and glory days or just go out on his own and play some bluesy(sp) songs would be great. He is one of my favs and rates in the top 5 guitarists today (IMHO). May not mix well with Steve and Joe. But hey it worked on Merry Axmas album. Just my opinion.
greg

Jeff Beck would be the best guitar concert in the world ever.
After that, Al Di Meola or Steve Morse, and then maybe Paul Gilbert or John Petrucci or maybe they could persuade Eric Johnson or Robert Fripp to come back.
Angelina
Newcomer

I think they should have the one and only

JOHN NORUM !!!!