"Sound Theories" New Album

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
quiksilver98

What do you guy think the new album will be like? I heard there is going to be a lot of the orchestra stuff in it.

Preordered mine :)
VAI05

IT WILL KICK ASS :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
amanvai

I'm pretty sure it'll be absolutely ultra cool, but what I can't wait to hear is the second CD. Steve Vai's composed works. He's always wanted to compose and the art of composing for an orchestra is so delicate and intricate so I'm just oh-so-excited to hear Steve Vai's llittle black dots being performed.

And hey, there are a couple of a samples on the My Space page of FTLOG and The Murder.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

quiksilver98 wrote:What do you guy think the new album will be like? I heard there is going to be a lot of the orchestra stuff in it.

It's ALL orchestra stuff.

Mikey
vai.com
Mr. Canadian

Mikey wrote:
quiksilver98 wrote:What do you guy think the new album will be like? I heard there is going to be a lot of the orchestra stuff in it.

It's ALL orchestra stuff.

Mikey
vai.com
Hey Mikey, is there anywhere on the net that offers some sound clips/samples?
quiksilver98

Yeah, Vai's myspace. I can't wait for the cd to get here :).
BigBadMoFoGangsta

quiksilver98 wrote:Yeah, Vai's myspace. I can't wait for the cd to get here :).
Anyone care to post a ******* link?
amanvai

Its Steve Vai's My Space website. www.myspace.com/stevevai. Thats it.
lester

isnt this the same,the FTLOG
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Lb9h0J_ajA

and the one on steve's my space?
amanvai

I think thats because they're both tracks from whatever was broadcast on television there.
LongBow

Hi Mikey, any news on Aching Hunger II DVD coming out? I can see that new cd contains Aching Hunger, so I am curious
seljer

lester wrote:isnt this the same,the FTLOG
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Lb9h0J_ajA

and the one on steve's my space?
the album was recorded live at that series of concerts
I'm not sure if its exactly the same, and despite how lovely the song is I can't be bothered to extensively listen to the two for any differences (the improv at the end is extended on the video but that could have easily been edited for the version on the myspace page)

the mixing and sound quality on the clip on the myspace page is much nicer than youtube, cant wait to hear the real album :)
HeBoMan

The cd will be very, very nice! 8)

I had the privilege to be at the Aching Hunger concerts in Holland twice, both 2004 and 2005. Parts of the concerts were also broadcast by dutch radio so I have it all on hard disk, of course. So I know all the pieces on the cd's already except Shadows and Sparks. I don't think that that was played live for the audience. At least it was not broadcast by radio. The orchestra-only pieces are beautiful, I think. The only thing that I noticed was that the parts that were selected to be on the cd are songs that are slightly more accessible than some others. Both Frangelica and Helios And Vesta have electric guitars (not Steve but the orchestra's guitarist). In Helios And Vesta you might recognize some elements of The God Eaters. Frangelica is a very nice piece of music that is much harder to recognize as a Vai song. In fact, it's rather jazzy! There were some pieces played that were more "classic". Especially Is It Over Yet, that I like a lot! It contains a cool violin solo played by a lady that could've been your mum! On the other had, I can understand that this song didn't make it to the cd because it's almost 20 minutes long. But I'm not complaining. I'm very excited to finally get this beautiful music in great sound quality in my possession, much better than my radio "bootleg".

You won't be disappointed. 8)

Cheers, Henk
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

"Is It Over Yet" was renamed "Shadows and Sparks".

Mikey
vai.com
Big Bad Bill

HeBoMan wrote:The cd will be very, very nice! 8)
Thanks for that overview Henk.

By the way, does anyone have any idea about the origin of the name 'Frangelica'? I've Googled it with nothing interesting.