Has anyone ever noticed...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Ginner_321

"Under it all," is pretty dark. In my opinion.

Cheers,
Lotus Eater

Give me a 50/50 balance of both worlds.
light and dark.
both are equally important.
slash89

Ginner_321 wrote:"Under it all," is pretty dark. In my opinion.

Cheers,
I think of Under It All as grand, not dark. It's not too heavy, nor is it too soft/light either. The song is an epic masterpice! But then again, it's just my humble opinion.
seljer

slash89 wrote:

Cheers,
I think of Under It All as grand, not dark. It's not too heavy, nor is it too soft/light either. The song is an epic masterpice! But then again, it's just my humble opinion.
I'm not sure I'd use just grand to describe it, when I think of just 'grand' just along I'd probably come up with a song like Liberty or Blood and Glory first (though I'd use 'majestic' for Blood and Glory). For Under It All and probably use 'allegorical' or 'introspective', though its very epic as well and it is slightly darker too.
Leanne_777

seljer wrote:
slash89 wrote:

Cheers,
I'm not sure I'd use just grand to describe it, when I think of just 'grand' just along I'd probably come up with a song like Liberty or Blood and Glory first (though I'd use 'majestic' for Blood and Glory). For Under It All and probably use 'allegorical' or 'introspective', though its very epic as well and it is slightly darker too.
I describe it as 'good'
seljer

Leanne_777 wrote:
seljer wrote:
slash89 wrote:I think of Under It All as grand, not dark. It's not too heavy, nor is it too soft/light either. The song is an epic masterpice! But then again, it's just my humble opinion.
I describe it as 'good'
hah, that too :)

but I like adjectives
Jon Gunnar

How about simply "The riddle" from Passion and warfare?
maximus

Jon Gunnar wrote:How about simply "The riddle" from Passion and warfare?
I think it's dark only in the mysterious sense but then it is happy in some parts.
amanvai

A lot of Vai songs are very intense, and that is a description much suited to them than dark. Steve Vai is pretty actualised and in sync with his spiritual self, and his music though so intense reflects a grand, alien-like calmness that people generally achieve through reaching one's soul so to speak. Its this calm, reflective almost meditated vibe in a person that most people are lacking in, but those that pay attention to their spirituality, or happen to be actualised in any other way tend to be more uplifting in general.

Or maybe Steve Vai's just so happy with his 'flailing-flailing' eh?
Last edited by amanvai on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
litlgrnman

For me a lot of Steve's songs are like dreams. They are so unpredictable and can vary drastically in tone from note to note. There are undeniably light and dark expressions in many of his songs. The one that came to mind immediately for me is Erotic Nightmares. I find a lot of Steve's compositions complex while retaining a simplicity in melody and theme. Many times there is light with dark (but no heat).