Has anyone ever noticed...

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Rahab

That Mr. Vai doesn't really have a dark side to his music? Just about everything he writes is uplifting and happy. I can't name a dark, moody, or depressing song by he.

Hrmmmm.
RAI

According to Steve, there is plenty of darkness in this world.
He does not need to add to it.......
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Believe it or not, some people find much solace in the darker side of music. Depending on one's perspective, they might just find great comfort in "depressive music." Sometimes it's nice to be able to relate to someone you've never met through their similar experiences, which they just so happen to express in their "dark" music. Pain, suffering etc...are a part of all of our lives, some more than others. Speaking for myself, I can't listen to "uplifting," happy-go-lucky music all of the time, quite frankly it depresses me. :( With Steve though, he doesn't focus on lyrics, so it's all about the music basically, & I'd agree his music doesn't really leave the impression of impending doom. :twisted: :lol:

Now some of Buckethead's stuff, sure, that's another story. :lol: :guitar :twisted:

The first time I heard Triad (The Saw Is Family), I thought three chainsaw thugs were about to break in and carve me up like unwanted shrubbery. :shock: :twisted: :lol:
slash89

Rahab wrote:That Mr. Vai doesn't really have a dark side to his music? Just about everything he writes is uplifting and happy. I can't name a dark, moody, or depressing song by he.

Hrmmmm.
Have you heard some of the Sex And Religion songs?
Steen

Rahab wrote:That Mr. Vai doesn't really have a dark side to his music? Just about everything he writes is uplifting and happy. I can't name a dark, moody, or depressing song by he.

Hrmmmm.
That's one of the reasons I like his music. :D
Prezidentman

There's undeniably some dark stuff on Sex & Religion, of course not all of it..
seljer

The Power of Bombos creates a pretty dark and stormy kind of atmosphere
Kill The Guy With The Ball/The God Eaters is also pretty tense
lydian2000

what about "dying for your love"?I find this song deliciously dark. :twisted:
Tao-RG

vais music is in mine opinion as dark as happy ;
there is a balance in his music and some kind of result is the athmosphere of benevolence .. and this has nothing to do with dark or light .. its more something spiritual
Samuele

I was about to mention it myself but, yes, how about Dying for Your Love?

I think that some of Steve's music stares at darkness right in the eye, but at the same time it makes me perceive a constant effort to find a way out of that dark, towards a certain truth. I find it hard to explain, but I view many of Steve's songs as journeys (or tales) which present certain issues about life. It's sort of a sense of longing for the ultimate Truth, which can be torturing at times, right?

To me the point is: why should Steve ever write, say, "purposefully negative" (or "intentionally depressing") songs? There are already many artists who did (or still do) that. I think - and I'll bet Steve shares this view - music should be uplifting, or even cathartic at times.

Many songs Steve wrote in the past will give you a sample of his tormented side but, again, it's a turmoil which is originated by a sense of longing for a positive thing, like... getting to understand the meaning of Life.

A few songs which I think apply to this are: Junkie, some of the 7th songs Steve has written - like Call It Sleep or For the Love of God for example, many songs from Sex and Religion (Still My Bleeding Heart, Dirty Black Hole, Pig, Down Deep Into the Pain, Just Cartilage), Kill the Guy with the Ball, There's a Fire in the House, The Mysterious Murder of Christian Tiera, All About Eve, Aching Hunger, Damn You, Genocide, The Murder, Silent Within and then especially Dying for Your Love.

And then there's the darkest one of them all...
#?@! Yourself
Rahab

Personally when I think dark, I think NIN, Numan, Tool, Perfect Circle, etc. There's a lot of different sounds in there.

I guess my point is, you don't hear a lot of instrumental mastery in that type of music. I would love to hear what Vai could do in such a context.

I don't think "Dying for your love" is dark at all..
Vaiagra

Dark = :D

'Building the Church', 'Blue Powder', 'The Mysterious Murder of Christian Tierra', 'For the Love of God' and 'Bad Horsie', among others, all set a pretty dark, intense atmosphere and sense of doom (at least in my mind).

I think Steve's really good at sculpting his records.. the songs tend to balance one another out and he's always got that 7th song in there for those rainy days.

Scott Walker's The Drift = Dark & bleak :wink: Impending doom, not much time left, METEOR ATTACK ON IT'S WAY!!! :shock: