The Official 'G3 2003' CD & DVD Discussion Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Music Master

NelssoN wrote:
Music Master wrote:On friday, I got a phone call from Utopia in Sydney, to say the DVD G3:Live In Denver was in, and they were gonna send it down, and they hoped it would reach me by Monday. I asked them if it was a Region 4/Australian release, and they said it was.
I noticed on the HMV Australia site it said the release was the 29th, so I'm not sure if Utopia have got the wrong region, or they have got it early.
I'll see on Monday, if it comes in...
Hey Music Master!,

Was it the Region 4 copy?
I'm to impatient to wait 6 more days!! :P
Yes, it was a region 4, I got it Tuesday.
It works fine.
It's time to rock!!!!
Jemfever

Today I finally got my G3-Live in Denver DVD.Of course the first thing I did was to throw the DVD in and watch it.Joe and Steve were very very cool!!It's really a blast to watch and listen to these guys!Yngwie (of course a great guitarist,no doubt about that!) bored me to death!I saw him live on July,6th last year and I have to say that his show is still exactly the same!Nothing new!I never got rid of the feeling,that Yngwie does not fit into the G3 concept.The way he plays and performs has nothing to do with Steve and Joe!These guys can play a song in tenthousand different ways and it'll always sound great!Yngwie gives every song the same neo-classical touch, because that's all he can play!
Anyway,the DVD is worth buying it!It's always worth seeing Steve Vai play! :twisted:
steeda

Jemfever wrote:Yngwie gives every song the same neo-classical touch, because that's all he can play!
Actually Yngwie can do pretty much any style with ease. He WANTS to play the way he plays and doesn't play different each album just for the sake of playing different, like Joe. Yng has played guitar for 35 years. You think ALL he can play is neoclassical? LOL
Jemfever

All of these guys can play pretty much any style with ease!Otherwise they wouldn't be as good as they really are. I didn't like Yngwie's solos in the last three songs of the DVD.The three songs have very different characteristcs and styles."Keep on rockin'" is a rock tune and "little wing" and "Voodoo child" are bluesy tunes.What does Yngwie:he plays solos based on classical scales!Why didn't he play blues and rock?

I like Yngwie's way of playing ,but I think he could show much more of his talents and his fans would still love him.

By the way:on his last tour he played "foxy lady" and it was the worst version of this song I've ever heard!
Just think about it!
Bob
Newcomer

Greetings...

I just bought the Denver Colorado G3 DVD yesterday (3/29)... I'm totally delighted with it. I was skeptical & thought it wouldn't be as good as having a CD I could play in many locations. But it was inexpensive and worth a shot. It was totally inspiring! Awesome to get to see what Steve, Joe and Yngvie were doing up close! So amazing! I even saw myself in the little blurb where Steve goes and talks to us fans waiting in line before the show. The only puzzle is why the DVD wasn't titled "Bob, and G3 in Denver" :D

Ciao
steeda

Jemfever wrote:All of these guys can play pretty much any style with ease!Otherwise they wouldn't be as good as they really are. I didn't like Yngwie's solos in the last three songs of the DVD.The three songs have very different characteristcs and styles."Keep on rockin'" is a rock tune and "little wing" and "Voodoo child" are bluesy tunes.What does Yngwie:he plays solos based on classical scales!Why didn't he play blues and rock?

I like Yngwie's way of playing ,but I think he could show much more of his talents and his fans would still love him.

By the way:on his last tour he played "foxy lady" and it was the worst version of this song I've ever heard!
Just think about it!
So Steve's masturbatory use of the whammy bar "fits" in Little Wing? I don't know if you realize, but most rock tunes are based on classical chord progressions and scales. I think you are confusing harmonic minor with "classical". A harmonic minor scale isn't any more "classical" then the pentatonic scale.
Corrado

my review:

CD

SATRIANI:
very good but the sound is not what i was expecting... some songs sound much better on "time machine". i think "midnight" is not a great song, very boring... he wrote many great songs, so why choose "midnight"?

VAI:
perfect! the new song is nice, great melody and original sounds, i love it. the idea to play "reaping" is great... so on this cd we have 2 Vai songs never heard live before. "whispering..." is ok, but i expected something more.

MALMSTEEN:
bad bad bad!!! the usual "copy-and-paste" from Paganini, Albinoni and so on (and he still signs the songs with his name!!!). Yngwie should be jailed for treating "red house" that way: how to destroy a great song!!!

G3 JAM:
great (except Yngwie's singing and solos, of course!!). but it would have been better not to play 2 Hendrix songs. tip for the next tour: why not to play "while my guitar gently weeps"? it would be perfect!!

note: why sony put out 2 cds with 90 minutes of music? why they didn't put 40 minutes for each artist? was it so expensive???

DVD

SATRIANI
great performance. good band... nice sounds. i think that the second guitarist is a good choice. Joe's music can't be played with the usual trio.

VAI
incredible! the new song intro is so cool, and the song too. "juice" was played live only in the south-american tour in 1995 so is almost unreleased as a live song. "i'm the hell out of here" is incredibly cool!!! the band is great, also the new drummer J.Colson.

MALMSTEEN
bad! as on the cd... bad songs (all copied stuff), irritating solos, ugly sound. what else?

G3 JAM
see the CD review.

also for the DVD sony made the same wrong choice. why can't we have the complete show on 2 DVDs? probably they think that 1 DVD sells more than 2. wrong!

that's all, sorry for my bad english.

Corrado.
Jemfever

steeda wrote: So Steve's masturbatory use of the whammy bar "fits" in Little Wing? I don't know if you realize, but most rock tunes are based on classical chord progressions and scales. I think you are confusing harmonic minor with "classical". A harmonic minor scale isn't any more "classical" then the pentatonic scale.

I don't know what kind of DVD you're talkin about,but on my DVD-version of the song, Steve doesn't even touch the whammy bar during the whole Song!!!

I don't think I'm confusing "classical" and "aelolian".I just don't like hearing Paganini and Bach copies when listening to "Little Wing".

But to bring this to an end:you love Yngwie's playing or you hate it!
Rexgtr

I just bought the new G3 dvd and after watching I feel that Yngwie needed to relax during the jam and remember to share the solo spots (it sounded like he would've taken most of the solo spots if someone hadn't turned him down? hint hint ---)

Steve's triple neck " I Know You're Here" was worth the price of the dvd alone.

The close ups to Joes Mystical Potatoe Head Groove Thing is great.

The close ups on Yngwies Acoustic solo is great. I really want a classical nylon string with piezo bridge now.

I still haven't seen all the stuff on this dvd yet. 8)
gonzo
Newcomer

Hey Steeda.....

That´s the truth...
Dear Steeda...
You actually dont know so much about theory right?;o)

I think it´s great that you like Yngwie,and defend him like you do.But to try to compare him with Joe,and especially Steve,is too funny.

Another thing,what "masturbatory" whammy abuse in "Little wing" are you talking about?Dont you think you mix things up a lil?;o)

Keep on listening to Yngwie,but dont even try to compare the guy with Steve Vai and Joe,cuz he simply aint that good.He DO play the same scales and modes all the time.Even in a slow blues number like "Red house" he manage to spoil the song completely with his masturbation(Now THERE you can talk about masturbatory playing..LMFAO..;o)
And his voice...well. :shock:

PS
Actually in the acoustic part where Yngwie play,his speedpicking is VERY bad.He have NO coordination between right and left hand,and everybody with just a little training under their belt can HEAR this.
Try again sweetie... :lol: :roll:
badasstommyboy

yngwies kicks in those tight leather trousers on evil eye are so funny. hehe.
steeda

gonzo wrote:Hey Steeda.....

That´s the truth...
Dear Steeda...
You actually dont know so much about theory right?;o)

I think it´s great that you like Yngwie,and defend him like you do.But to try to compare him with Joe,and especially Steve,is too funny.

Another thing,what "masturbatory" whammy abuse in "Little wing" are you talking about?Dont you think you mix things up a lil?;o)

Keep on listening to Yngwie,but dont even try to compare the guy with Steve Vai and Joe,cuz he simply aint that good.He DO play the same scales and modes all the time.Even in a slow blues number like "Red house" he manage to spoil the song completely with his masturbation(Now THERE you can talk about masturbatory playing..LMFAO..;o)
And his voice...well. :shock:

PS
Actually in the acoustic part where Yngwie play,his speedpicking is VERY bad.He have NO coordination between right and left hand,and everybody with just a little training under their belt can HEAR this.
Sorry, I am not gay, so cut the "sweetie" comments. Don't hate me because I don't agree with your lifestyle. Anyways, I will compare Yngwie to Steve and Joe. I also don't think I need to defend Yngwie's technique? Why? The comments came from you, a nobody. Have fun, fruitcake.
CourtneyL

Ok I have the dvd me too at the end! I'm italian.
All this week end I watched it.!! Oh my God......what else can I say? It's superbe....A dvd can be so beautiful?? I can't believe to my eyes....
and I can't take off my eyes from Steve.....
Psychlone

steeda wrote:
gonzo wrote:
PS
Sorry, I am not gay, so cut the "sweetie" comments. Don't hate me because I don't agree with your lifestyle. Anyways, I will compare Yngwie to Steve and Joe. I also don't think I need to defend Yngwie's technique? Why? The comments came from you, a nobody. Have fun, fruitcake.
Through their followers shall you know the master. Steeda takes it to a randomly nasty personal level, and thus loses the battle, both for himself and Yngwie. "The words that fall from your tongue are so filthy your mouth must be infected..."

Hail to the triple-neck. Steve realizes that an ordinary Jem can no longer contain his virtuosity. Thousands rejoice.
steeda

Psychlone wrote:
steeda wrote:
gonzo wrote:
PS
Through their followers shall you know the master. Steeda takes it to a randomly nasty personal level, and thus loses the battle, both for himself and Yngwie. "The words that fall from your tongue are so filthy your mouth must be infected..."

Hail to the triple-neck. Steve realizes that an ordinary Jem can no longer contain his virtuosity. Thousands rejoice.
As if he weren't asking for it with the "Sweetie" comment. Whatever, fanboy.