Whookam

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
jam-man

Hy there!

I just recently bought a Fire Garden CD and I wanted to ask - what's with that song Whookam?
It sounds kinda spooky, but I then played it backwards and found out that it actually sings about Jesus and Mary, the MOther of God!
Does anyone know why Steve wrote this and why is it recorded this way!'
Rock on :guitar
Animal 06

I always imagined it to be a tribute too Wookies....maybe steve has a wookie at his house :D
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

The vocals are taken from the Sex & Religion sessions - specifically from the song "Sex & Religion". The vocals are done by Steve and Devin Townsend, and part of the lyrics are a section of the the 3 Hail Mary prayers.

Listen to sex and religion and you'll get the context. :)

Mikey
vai.com
jam-man

Thanks Mikey!
They sounded really familiar, I had a feeling that I've heard something like that somewhere!

Rock on
Shredded Heat

Seems like this was quite satirical - was that the intention? It would have been funny had this track been released in the early 80s when there was all that publicity over Satanic messages being found in records if you played them backwards.
slash89

Shredded Heat wrote:Seems like this was quite satirical - was that the intention? It would have been funny had this track been released in the early 80s when there was all that publicity over Satanic messages being found in records if you played them backwards.
If you play the Pokemon theme song backwards it says "I love Satan, I love Satan" :lol:
Splish

slash89 wrote:
Shredded Heat wrote:Seems like this was quite satirical - was that the intention? It would have been funny had this track been released in the early 80s when there was all that publicity over Satanic messages being found in records if you played them backwards.
If you play the Pokemon theme song backwards it says "I love Satan, I love Satan" :lol:
Seen that, quite creepy at first lol!

Splish
frenchfred

if you have a software like cubase, you can listen this song inside out, and understand the lyrics :lol:
davidparis

cool i had no idea..

U serious about the pokemon theme?!
slash89

davidparis wrote:cool i had no idea..

Not the original theme, but the SPAM that is played in several episodes of the series.
Here is a funny link: http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm
davidparis

slash89 wrote:
davidparis wrote:cool i had no idea..

Not the original theme, but the SPAM that is played in several episodes of the series.
Here is a funny link: http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm
wow
leigh01

That yoko Ono's kiss kiss kiss is scary.
frenchfred

when you hear "asian sky" inside out vocals are surprising : i don't know if lyrics are comprehensible, but vocal intro is surprising
davidparis

frenchfred wrote:when you hear "asian sky" inside out vocals are surprising : i don't know if lyrics are comprehensible, but vocal intro is surprising
wat does that mean :S
frenchfred

davidparis wrote:
frenchfred wrote:when you hear "asian sky" inside out vocals are surprising : i don't know if lyrics are comprehensible, but vocal intro is surprising
wat does that mean :S
it is not backmasking, but when i heard vocal intro i'm surprised by musicality of vocals :wink:.. it's beautiful