Meditation

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
pataman

Kind of a question for steve, and i guess for all of you. Steve first of all, on the odd chance you read this, you rock and completely changed my life. Anywho Ive read alot of how steve meditates, and in the ten eternal; questions book he even says its harder than making music in a way. Just wanted to ask if any of you meditate, and how it affects your music?

Ive heard quite a bit of a book called zen guitar or something? does any1 know what kind of meditation steve does. it would be interesting to know..

-Anxiously expecting steves next tour...

Pataman.

P.S. Any of you guys in berklee now?
maximus

I used to meditate. I really should do it more frequently, it helps clear out your mind. I really need to right now. I will go do that! Thanks for reminding me. :D
Seraphim

I can't answer that question....
...because I'm meditating right now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, YES I DO.
ernzzz

i have no idea, really.. but for what i see, meditating seems to be trying to "empty" your mind... i guess that its not just only "dont seeing and hearing anything inside" but also, gettin rid of your own will...

i guess it will be like killing oneself, or one's will, to live for a time the maximum communion with the world/universe/reality whatever...

there's other ways to reach similar states, like enteogenic drugs.. (mushrooms etc) but i guess in a state of total relaxation, and concentration (as opossed with the drug) the will can be more "easily" shut.. or maybe safely.. (while with drugs its not as "easy" to control your will...)

... i also guess that like other things on life, its in the process of reaching this point, that resides the more valuable thing.. cause i suppose that to be able to shut your own will, will require a lot of self analysis, and thus confronting and confirming your own person in the process.. making of yourself a more secure person, or with a better life (having changed it as result of confronting it..)

this will maybe be an exagerated example.. but in this sense... what will you do when you become the best player in the world? play more? why?!

if you get to be the best, and totally master the music/instrument, there will be no better music than what you have already done, so it will loose its value... and then you will remember how good were the old times, where you got amazed of that determined musical idea, mood, guitar trick, whatever, and how much it filled you to seek it, and master it... (leaving it of course after recording the best guitar disc ever.. 8) ) (aka P&W2 hehehee..)

i guess once you succesfully get to be one with yourself and world, its already time to do other things.. but dreams away, may it be like guitar or music that can never be totally mastered..

btw i suppose the problem with this kind of drugs (enteogenic natural drugs..), is that the revelation of your own person, or the world, or whatever your gold fish tells you :P , is so sudden and detailed in several forms, that can scare the hell of you, making you negate reality, or your person...

i dont even know why i write all this amount of hypotesis over hypotesis... i havent readed any books or anything about it.. but anyway its here..
Last edited by ernzzz on Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pataman

well hey man, nice post. I dunno i mean ive read a little about it, just seems so interesting, and ive tried it on a couple of ocasions. One thing i have heard, dunno how right it is, but its that that common idea of "going in a blank state" is a misconception, from what ive been told meditating is not clearing your mind, but rather focusing it on something so intently and specifically that you achieve a "stilness" of mind or something like that.

In a way dont just throw it all away, but instead try to make it all make sense, u know hwta im sayin? I mean there are rtons of different meditations out there, color healing relaxation, but a friend told me they all derive just from the original one, which budha taught, breathing meditation i guess...

I dunno really, the few rtimes ive done it it has helped me relax, and feel better, but i dont think ive ever really done "the real thing" you know what i mean? like searching for nirvana and whatnot... (oh god just mentioned nirvana on vai.com... might get in trouble! ;) )

Anyone else know more about this? Anyopne know what kind of meditation steve does?

thx for replyin people

rock on
Naffis-kun

I only listen to music, I haven't felt that I would need any meditation. ;)
Music gives me the vibes I need.
Old_Chatterhand
Newcomer

Anyone else know more about this? Anyopne know what kind of meditation steve does?
I read that Steve does Sant Mat. But I wouldn't do Sant Mat because Steve does it, if you're interested in meditation. Find out which things r working best for YOU, because you're a unique person - thats an important point in meditation. There are so many ways, Yoga, Zen, even only watching your breath. Try the following: For some hours (2-3), only concentrate on your inhale and your breath out. Feel only the air that's coming and going through your nose. I Think most people will get a feeling of infinite width and happiness.

Meditation is a process, it's a way to find out who you really are, where you're from, why you're here. It's far more than only relaxing...
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

For me, this is what I believe:

I'm instructed to meditate on my God's unfailing love, His works, His precepts, His wonders, His decrees, His statutes, His promises, His law & His word, day and night. For me, it's also "meditation of the heart," not the mind so to speak, although "the mind is the center of the heart" I guess, so whatever way you wanna look at it. For me, meditation's not about breathing techniques or clearing the will of the mind, it's more about reverential awe & worship. I also desire that my meditation be pleasing to Him.

This is just my beliefs on "meditation" & you don't have to agree & you can even take all of this with a grain of salt if you so choose. :peace
Old_Chatterhand
Newcomer

"Meditation" is the state, where mind is empty.

But, to reach that, first concentrate on one object and practice, practice, practice... Sometime you can automatically erase this last object from your consciousness.
But which technique it is - to concentrate on breath, to visualize an apple, to count from 1 to 10, <put in what you want> ... is shit all the same
So... again - find out what's working for yourself!

8)
vaigod

Sorta staying on topic and bringing it more towards practicing, I have found that visualing my playing helps me EMMENSELY! For example, lets say you come across a crazy lick and you know all the notes,etc but trying to play the lick is pure pain. Try and visualize with a clear mind ( enough to focus on the task at hand -) the lick and play it over and over again in your head. Give it a day and do the same thing then play it. You will find that even when you are mentally playing the lick that the parts you have trouble playing physically will also bleed in mentally. The idea is to smooth those parts out. As the days progress you will see improvement.

~D

http://www.myspace.com/7thfret
Trinity777

vaigod wrote:Sorta staying on topic and bringing it more towards practicing, I have found that visualing my playing helps me EMMENSELY! For example, lets say you come across a crazy lick and you know all the notes,etc but trying to play the lick is pure pain. Try and visualize with a clear mind ( enough to focus on the task at hand -) the lick and play it over and over again in your head. Give it a day and do the same thing then play it. You will find that even when you are mentally playing the lick that the parts you have trouble playing physically will also bleed in mentally. The idea is to smooth those parts out. As the days progress you will see improvement.

~D
I guess I need to do some visualizing! I love to meditate during lunch time. I get to sit on a bench and listen to the sound of the water from the river rippling over the rocks! It helps me get centered before I meditate!

Trinity777 8)

http://www.myspace.com/7thfret
Seraphim

Actually, I don't have a meditation routine. I do some meditation when I need and it's possible to do in my places, for instance, I can speak with someone and do meditation, like I can work and do it too, or while I write on the board, sometimes I do, if the issue is serious, but for that, you have to be well trained, or simply, you have to born to do it. In case of Mister Vai, you have to ask him, but I have felt something while I meet him 1st time... but that's only a feeling... my feeling!!!
:wink:
shmatka
Newcomer

Hi, guys
(first excuse my not so good English)

:D

I do meditate almost all the time when I'm awake.
For me it's a way of life. :)

Meditatation also can be done during the sleep time(lucid dreaming). It's like when the pure CONSCIOUSNESS offers it's beautiful gifts in our inner places/dimensions(endoreality)

It's just like the law of time: Time + Consciousness = Art

..and yes, meditation is gooooood.

From what I've seen from Steve. I can truly say that he is one very very very meditative person too :)

For those who don't find it so easy to meditate:

The first thing you must do is to focus your mind(thought energy) on your breathe in/out. Imagine how your lungs fill with air(life force).. imagine how it inflates slowly with air and vice versa. While you're doing this actually you're focusing more and more energy within you - it's the place where your energy is pure and safe from the chaos in the exoreality(the surrounding world). In this state mind becomes clearer and clearer. This is a hint to stopping the inner dialogue. And when you feel that your mind is totally blank you can easily focus that pure energy on the thing you want to meditate on... Just ask yourself a question - and you'll get the your best answer. Thats the state of mind that offers gifts of harmony, love and creation.

Life is breathe control people.

Peace & Love
Dian.
MatJB

So you sit there, and, um...breathe.

Yeah, sounds real mystical to me :lol:
vaigod

MatJB wrote:So you sit there, and, um...breathe.

Yeah, sounds real mystical to me :lol:
With all due respect, don't knock til you've tried it.

You'd be surprised...

:)

~D