Getting non-guitarists into Steve Vai

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Steen

FloralEvolution wrote:I dont think that you should have to force people to listen to Steve work. It should be them who get into and like it for themselves. I have 2 friends that play guitar and they dont really listen to Vai but they have and they have and they think hes good but they are more into the metal phase.
I'm not forcing anyone. :)
I just strategically(if that is correct spelling) choose wich songs to play for him. :P
imbetterthanstevevai
Newcomer

My dad is a drummer and he bought P&W because he liked Steve with Whitesnake. P&W then got me into playing the guitar and when we saw Steve last year in Manchester, my dad said that it was the best gig he had ever been to (and he's been to a lot)! Now my dad always wants me to play Vai songs for him and he constantly listens to FTLOG.
slash89

Musicans are perhaps more likely to like his music rather than non-musicans.
FloralEvolution
Newcomer

Yea my dad is a huge blues and older rock fan. He goes to festivals and everything and when i started getting into Satch he thought that he was good. Then i got into Vai and my dad thought he was weird and would call him weird names like Steve Vee to piss me off. But then i went with him to the Fillmore show and he now totally has respect after he saw that Steve could play hours of instrumental music with the same intensity throughtout the whole gig.
maximus

I am a fan of classic rock and more clear-cut stuff, as well as Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. I think that musicians are much more impressed by Steve Vai because of the talent and the stamina he has.

What I don't get is how somebody listens to Steve Vai and doesn't just want to pick up their guitar (or bass (like me!), or whatever they've got) and figure out bits of the tune. I mean, when I hear great music, I just want to try to play it.
mayuka

Hell i dont play guitar and i love his music. I have all his cds and dvds : )
CymbalSplittingSkinbasher

Just yesterday, a bass player friend of mine told me that he knew about Vai from his past issues of Guitar Player, but he thought Steve was just some shredder that played at hyperspeed all the time, that is, until my other friend let him check out the Astoria dvd that I let him borrow, & he said he now has a huge amount of respect for Steve & his music & that Steve deserves all of the great things that he's read about him. So I say, just let the person(s) borrow the Astoria dvd, that's probably the best way to get non-guitarists into Vai. :wink:
GreenMeanie

I took my Mom to see ZPZ and now she is hooked. She was blown away by Steve's playing and his kindness. Now she wants to go again. Makes me very happy! :mrgreen:

Joanne
cnc74

GreenMeanie wrote:I took my Mom to see ZPZ and now she is hooked. She was blown away by Steve's playing and his kindness. Now she wants to go again. Makes me very happy! :mrgreen:

Joanne
It was very cool to see your mom there. My parents are going to the zpz show in Providence, RI. My grandmother is going to give it another shot, too. It was really unfortunate that some drunk idiot had to fall off his chair and land on her at the last zpz show. She had to leave before Steve took the stage. I'm not sure if she's going to the concert itself, but she's heading over early with us in hopes of meeting Steve before the show. :D My grandmother does not go one day without listening to Steve. She always says he has a beautiful soul. :wink:
Christin
Seraphim

cnc74 wrote:...She always says he has a beautiful soul. :wink:
Christin
And she is right, Chris!!!
If I sale my house with some good profit, I gonna took one month entire hollidays and travel, maybe, who knows, to the States to see some ZPZ shows, probably with the company of a friend that I started to give her to listen of some Steve Vai songs :P
I want to meet your grandmother too :wink:
(Btw, she have saw any of my pics?)
Dyin' Day 77

Well, its hard for me because most of my friends listen to underground rap(no it is not that terrible stuff you hear on the radio, it actually has good messages....sometimes) They don't mind Steve Vai, and they have respect for him and know how talented he is, but they would still choose underground rap/hip hop over him. :roll: